What's new

2016 NFL Official Thread

Uncle Rico is the Broncos new QB per Emmanuel Sanders! Source close to the team said "love his arm action. Throws 🏈 1/4 mile - with the thin air at mile high, his range is full mile." [emoji1]
proxy.php

Goodell to be striped of his off the field player disciplinary powers! First step. Give him the boot.

The NFL is facing increasing pressures around CTE issues and the increasing public perception the NFL supports unsavory individuals on team rosters. How long before the NFL owners figure out Rome is burning and Goodell is playing his fiddle.

So the answer to the public perception that the NFL doesn't adequately punish bad player behavior is to take away Goodell's power to punish players for that behavior? And who's done more for player safety than Goodell? Most folks complain he's done too much. I'm not following.

NFL denies that CTE is a problem. The overwhelming evidence is CTE is a huge problem. Today for the first time a NFL representative admitted a link, a little late. Not to recognize the connection between causation and effect is irresponsible at this point, in my opinion. You can believe he has done a great job and most folks can complain he has done too much. I don't share the opinion. I like the game but there are problems ahead for sure. I don't have the solution. The first step in a solution to the problem is recognizing there is a problem.

Goodell continually makes poor decisions surrounding off field player conduct and punishment. He makes the league look foolish. To have this discussion and negotiations to remove Goodell from off field player conduct and punishment decisions now, when it's not on the table for negotiation, is an admission by all he has done a poor job.

We know that he is keenly interested in deflated balls, some player smoking a little Mary Jane, socks that aren't regulation. He is a goof. It is pretty disturbing that this group of owners feel that he is a good representative for their league. These guys aren't dummies. When you have a license to print money, I guess you look the other way.

Here is the story about the NFL FINALLY admitting a link between multiple concussions and CTE on 3/14/2016. A little late!

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...s-link-football-related-head-trauma-cte-first
Great news for lawyers who'd like to get a cut of NFL revenue. The NFL has already back pedaled on that statement, no doubt for legal reasons.

The NFL should can and should do a better job of holding people out after a concussion. But once it occurs, the damage is done.

Football is a rough sport and concussions cannot completely be prevented. It's not exactly rocket science that hitting your head against the turf over and over is bad for your brain. Everyone has known about the problems of Mohammed Ali and other boxers for a long time. The NFL isn't hiding anything.

Injuries start in middle school where football begins. There is no conclusive way to say the injuries were not already at least partially present before joining the NFL. Many other sports are also sources of long term damage.

Players these days should understand the risk and accept the risk for money, fame and glory. The risk has been reduced with better equipment and procedures and surely will continue to improve. But it's hard to imagine that it will ever be eliminated.

The NFL isn't the only solely to blame but has an obligation to continue working towards making it as safe as they can given the often violent nature of the sport.

Eagles trade Mark Sanchez to Denver for a 2017 late round pick.
We save a million extra in cap and get a pick? For someone who would have been cut?
Howie is firing on all cylinders.
On the other hand, the Broncos will pay $4.5 million for one year for a quarterback with six career starts in the postseason. The Houston Texans are giving $72 million over four years to a quarterback with seven total career starts. And the Broncos most likely aren't stopping there.

On the other hand, the Broncos will pay $4.5 million for one year for a quarterback with six career starts in the postseason. The Houston Texans are giving $72 million over four years to a quarterback with seven total career starts. And the Broncos most likely aren't stopping there.

A few scathing reports out about how brock was allegedly done with the broncos when he was benched before half time in the Sandiego game. Can't really blame the guy for using the broncos to drive his price up in free agency. I question the Texan's courting of osweiller primarily due to how quickly the contract came out shortly after FA started. Again just my two cents. Also good to see a few more fans out there!

Great news for lawyers who'd like to get a cut of NFL revenue. The NFL has already back pedaled on that statement, no doubt for legal reasons.

The NFL should can and should do a better job of holding people out after a concussion. But once it occurs, the damage is done.

Football is a rough sport and concussions cannot completely be prevented. It's not exactly rocket science that hitting your head against the turf over and over is bad for your brain. Everyone has known about the problems of Mohammed Ali and other boxers for a long time. The NFL isn't hiding anything.

Injuries start in middle school where football begins. There is no conclusive way to say the injuries were not already at least partially present before joining the NFL. Many other sports are also sources of long term damage.

Players these days should understand the risk and accept the risk for money, fame and glory. The risk has been reduced with better equipment and procedures and surely will continue to improve. But it's hard to imagine that it will ever be eliminated.

The NFL isn't the only solely to blame but has an obligation to continue working towards making it as safe as they can given the often violent nature of the sport.

From your reference:

In 2009, an NFL spokesman told the New York Times that it is "quite obvious from the medical research that's been done that concussions can lead to long-term problems." But when pressed by Congress and in interviews, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and other league representatives have for years avoided taking a position, repeating that the league would let the medical community decide. The league had never expressly linked playing football to CTE.
During Super Bowl week, Dr. Mitch Berger, a San Francisco neurosurgeon who leads the NFL subcommittee on long-term brain injury, asserted that there is still no established link between football and CTE.

Doesn't sound proactive to me. "concussions can lead to long-term problems."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and other league representatives have for years avoided taking a position, repeating that the league would let the medical community decide. The league had never expressly linked playing football to CTE.

The NFL, under Goodell, in fact funded studies to come to the conclusion their was no link to trauma and CTE. You can pay someone to do research to prove any point that is in your best interest.

No one is arguing the point that injuries don't occur in all violent sports whether it be adolescent sports or professional sports, or whether it be boxing, soccer, hockey etc.

The league, under Goodell, certainly does have the obligation to continue to work towards making football as safe as they can. My opinion is they have done a very poor job and you have the right to think differently.

Last edited:
Sanchez will be a very good backup and with his all experience was a great resource to Foles in Philly. Here is a clip of Sanchez imparting some of his experience to Foles on the sideline of a game. You can clearly see how impressed Foles is with Sanchez by the expression on Foles face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ROwRFzf_As

Bronco's match CJ Anderson's offer with Miami. Good move Elway. Probably could have signed him for less, if they had negotiated an extension prior, but that's not Elway's style.

Patriots trade Chandler Jones. Good move Belichick. Due for a new contract next year. Some one would pay big money for him. Good player not great. Puts up great numbers for the first 8 games of each season. A little light in the pants and wears down in the second half of the season and disappears. Leaves cap money to sign more important players of the defense-Hightower, Collins, Butler.

Cooper and a second round pick seems like an even trade to me. Cooper may be around for 2016 but not 2017, as he is due a big payday in 2017.

Last edited:
Bronco's match CJ Anderson's offer with Miami.
I'm honestly a bit surprised. History of the Broncos since Terrell Davis was that running back are considered an inexpensive replaceable commodity. But I remember many of those backs. Yes they were inexpensive and replaceable but most not special.

I'm honestly a bit surprised. History of the Broncos since Terrell Davis was that running back are considered an inexpensive replaceable commodity. But I remember many of those backs. Yes they were inexpensive and replaceable but most not special.

Did the Bronco's ever go into a season without anyone in the backfield with experience in the backfield? "Chicken Tenders" Sanchez is going to need all the help he can get. Butt fumble offense isn't a pretty thing.

Did the Bronco's ever go into a season without anyone in the backfield with experience in the backfield? "Chicken Tenders" Sanchez is going to need all the help he can get. Butt fumble offense isn't a pretty thing.
I'm not sure Sanchez is all that bad, certainly not inexperienced. At any rate, it won't be given to him. He'll have to compete for it. With who it isn't clear yet, hah.

In 2006 rookie QB Jay Cutler replaced Jake Plummer as starter along with rookie RB Mike Bell and 2nd (or was it 3rd) year RB Tatum Bell. No playoffs for the Broncos that year. That was probably the beginning of the end for Mike Shanahan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know your not worried and feel the Sanchez move isn't that bad. When Patriot's fans are thrilled with the move. Eagles fans are breaking arms patting themselves on the back in jubilation and can't believe their good fortune. Maybe just maybe you should peel back the foil on the antacid. I saw the press conference where Sanchez said he was dedicated to compete. Sanchez is only interested in eating stadium food on the sidelines-hot dogs, Philly steak and cheese, chicken nuggets. Just saying.

Right now Elway is playing in traffic. Broncos and Jets aren't in a position of power because of salary cap issues they put themselves in. 49ers and Browns are dealing from a position of strength. Everyone is playing liars poker. Fitzpatrick threatens he is going to retire. Kaepernick claims he wants to go to Cleveland. Elway got Sanchez as a chip to get Kaepernick.... and on an on.

Fitzpatick isn't going to retire.
Kaepernick doesn't want to go to Browns. That was leaked, maybe by the 49er's to get Denver to move up their offer.
If Kelly was interested in Sanchez they have a ton of picks they could have offered that were better than the Denver deal.
Jets want Fitzpatrick at the price they can afford.

One move is going to cause a frenzy. It is going to be like musical chairs when the music stops, everybody lunging for a seat. Let's see who is standing. Fascinating!

I know your not worried and feel the Sanchez move isn't that bad. When Patriot's fans are thrilled with the move. Eagles fans are breaking arms patting themselves on the back in jubilation and can't believe their good fortune. Maybe just maybe you should peel back the foil on the antacid. I saw the press conference where Sanchez said he was dedicated to compete. Sanchez is only interested in eating stadium food on the sidelines-hot dogs, Philly steak and cheese, chicken nuggets. Just saying.
You said the same about coach Kubiak and coach Phillips last season and that turned out OK for the Broncos.

It's irrelevant if Patriot's fans are thrilled with the move and Eagles fans are breaking arms patting themselves on the back in jubilation. Good for them, but doesn't make any difference on the field. We'll see how it goes this year, which has barely begun. Just sayin...

Top Bottom