What's new

2014 - Use More Product

OK, I'm in. I have applied the principle anyway. Whenever I try a new soap or seem to get a less than par lather the answer is always just load more and lather longer. I think we can also add to the resolution by resolving to do our best to advise others with lather problems to view this thread or simply say "The answer to your problem/question is: More Product + More Loading = More & Better Lather"

Hmm, use more product. I like that idea. I guess I'll jump on board. More Product used means more product to buy next year and that's always fun!

I agree with your post Tally Shave great advice. The last couple months I have been concentrating on take my shaving experience up a level. I have found most soap perform well with more water, more load time, more lathering time. My lather has been exceptional. Exceptional lather is tool for a great shave.

I like it. There's a reason the "I used more product and it worked" moniker comes up on everyone's avatar.

I'm in. I used double the amount of cream I normally would earlier and I could already feel the difference. I think I did too much (if there is such a thing) but more is certainly the way forward.

I think it also depends on the price of the product.

Florena and Palmolive creams are so inexpensive that you "automatically" use enough. OTOH, an expensive cream might tempt you to under-use.

Yes, there are many variables. This is why I think loading time is so overemphasized. Brush size, hair, loft and density. Soap hardness and consistency. Water quality. Particular users loading habits. These things all affect loading times. When one user says they load a certain soap for 30 seconds, that may mean a minute or more for a different user...with a different brush and different water and different loading style. I don't think it is wasting product to wash some excess lather down the drain after a great shave. I think it is wasting product to under load product and have a sub-par shave.

I can't agree with you more. I love using product, and since I make uber lather every time I shave, I get a chance to load up with
soap and cream + some glycerin! Creamy, slick, protective and a lot of it!

Last edited:
Truer words were never spoken. It takes a little time to make a great lather. One word of caution. I've read on posts where some folks say to get as much water as possible into the brush and don't shake it out, REALLY? That's the fastest way to get a watery, runny and ruined lather. By all means let the brush soak up water then shake some of it out (not too much, thats a learned talent). You can always add water, you can't take it away.

For those having some libation this evening please shave before you party and not after:a17:. Emergency rooms may be busy:a46:.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

That is 100% contrary to the so called Marco s method....and I believe that a lot of people are praising it... (the Marco s way)

.....?....

Tam

Yes! I agree with the original post completely! Using more product solves many problems -especially ones often faced by beginners.

Also, try using WAAAAAY more product. I think of it this way: if I use too much, I'll probably have a smooth, comfortable shave; if I use too little, I could slice my face off.

First day of my new resolution. I loaded MWF for twice as long as usually do, and added the last of a sample of TOBS Eton.

I could have lathered my shower walls, and it was.... WONDERFUL!

Great shave! Definitely the best I've had this year ;)

I'm with you on this. It's nothing new of course, but I have a tendency to rush the lathering a little. I solemnly swear this year I will: LOAD IT LIKE I HATE IT!

This should be a New Year's resolution for many shavers here. In my time here, one piece of advice can be dispensed pretty much without even thinking when someone talks about struggling with a soap or cream...."more". Use more product, use more water, and work the lather more. It works pretty much every time. I know this is nothing revolutionary...people give this advice around here all the time. But I don't think people take the advice often enough.

There is still the persistent contest to see how fast people can load a soap. It is like there is a pretty yellow ribbon for who can load a soap the fastest or with the fewest swirls or use the smallest amount of cream. "I load for 8 seconds and get enough for 10 passes." "Oh year, well I load for 6 seconds and get enough for 12 passes." Odds are both of these folks are either exaggerating or getting lousy lather...or both.

At the end of the day how long you load is largely irrelevant. It just matters how much product you actually load. A feather soft Kent will load slower than a dense, short-lofted boar. If you gently load the Kent for a minute and aggressively load the boar for 15 seconds and both load 1 gram, that is all that matters. The idea that you can load virtually no product and get a decent lather is foolish.

Creams and soaps are cheap. The majority of people here have too many anyway (myself included). In 2014, let's all use more product.

Your point is well taken. In my experience more product equals better lather. I do find myself getting caught up in some of the posted load times and trying to get there faster rarely works out for me. I realize now that YMMV could not be more true in my case.

Again, shave sticks are the answer :wink2:

Alternatively, you can rub the puck against your face, like they did in the "old days".

Great resolution ...

This was the toughest hurdle for me to cross on the wet shaving learning curve. Have to watch to make sure I don't back slide into old habits if I'm in a hurry.

Top Bottom