What's new

2012/13 Spotlight Fragrances Discussion thread for February: Penhaligon's Sartorial

2012/13 Spotlight Fragrances Winter Edition
February: Penhaligon's Sartorial

$Sartorial.jpgPenhaligon's Sartorial

A modern Fougere with a nod to the classics, Sartorial is sweet, dry and woody.
Penhaligon's likens Sartorial with a tailor's workroom.

Top Notes:
Aldehydes, Ozonic Effect, Metallic Effect, Violet Leaf, Neroli, Cardamom, Black Pepper, Fresh Ginger

Middle Notes:
Beeswax, Cyclamen, Linden Blossom, Lavender, Leather

Base Notes:
Gurgum Wood, Patchouli, Myrrh, Cedarwood, Tonka Bean, Oakmoss, White Musk, Honey Effect, Old Wood Effect, Vanilla, Amber

The nose behind Sartorial is Bertrand Duchaufour.

Last edited:
Wishing I bought more than the 4ml I did of this stuff......but I'm going to be copping a 50ml bottle soon. I love it, it's unlike anything that I've ever smelled. I really like the sort of steam out of an iron initial note and then it only gets better for then on. Different and exceptional.

A wonderful fragrance the clean freshly ironed shirt vibe is a great way to start the fragrance, I have to go and find my sample.

Good! In fact really good, but isn't it Clubman A/S in an expensive bottle? That's what it reminds me of anyway......

Good! In fact really good, but isn't it Clubman A/S in an expensive bottle? That's what it reminds me of anyway......

Wow....To me the difference between this and clubman is as wide as the difference between a potato and a space ship. That's just my opinion anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow....To me the difference between this and clubman is as wide as the difference between a potato and a space ship. That's just my opinion anyways.

I can easily reference a potato, but I really have no reference point for the other! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first tried Sartorial, my immediate thought was "Wow, that smells like ironing a fresh cotton shirt".

I now have a 100ml bottle, and it's one of my top fragrances - to my mind (and nose), it's quite a masterpiece. Surprisingly for a complex fragrance full of subtleties, it has exceptional longevity on me.

I have mixed feelings on other Penhaligon's fragrances - I really like English Fern, don't much like Blenheim Bouquet, love the smell of Endymion but don't like the poor longevity, and I seriously dislike Hammam Bouquet.

Wearing this today. I don't know what it is about his fragrance: it smells great, complex, sillage and longevity are both good - but it just doesn't grab me for some reason. Every time I wear it I think this smells good but when I wake up in the morning it's almost never what I choose to wear.

I have probably written about this scent at greater length previously in other threads.

To me it is a modern update of English Fern the way Pen's Elixir is a modern update of Hammam Bouquet, and a very successful one. Bertrand Duchaufor is the real thing when it comes to perfume makers. As I understand it, he has classic French traning and a classic French CV. I think of this scent as sort of England meets France. I smell nothing of Italy in this scent, even though BD did
Cipresso di Toscana for Acqua di Parma.

In particular, the beeswax comes through for me, which does evoke a tailor shop and other manly spaces, to me, for whatever reason. And this is a highly complex scent, where the various notes marry very well to me. Seems classy and high-end. A great boardroom/business scent. Something to wear well with a suit. Fits in with other Pen's scents, even has Pen's house notes, while being rather different, and I would say being something of a stretch for Pen's.

Top Bottom