What's new

2012 Winter Spotlight Fragrances - L'Occtaine "Eau de Baux" Discussion Thread

Today was a particularly cold day so I thought it would be perfect to put on the Eau des Baux.
I haven't worn in in a while so it was nice to come back to it. Definitely notice the pepper when you spray it on, it has a nice slight smokiness with a bit of wood. It's incensey but not strongly, just a hint of it that floats around and catches your notice now and then.
After 2 hours it settles down to a sweet vanilla. Its very nice, not powdery at all, and I wouldn't say creamy either. I'd call it more a fruity boozy vanilla.
It lasts forever.

Also wearing it to work today I've gotten 4 or 5 compliments on it. My coworkers never give compliments but I see they like this stuff!

snip
After 2 hours it settles down to a sweet vanilla. Its very nice, not powdery at all, and I wouldn't say creamy either. I'd call it more a fruity boozy vanilla.
snip

Hmm. Still getting an educated nose. "Powdery" was just so far off the mark I'm embarrassed to have introduced the word to this thread I'm still with the suggested "tobacco", and that just gives me vanilla pipe tobacco. Not really boozy. Not sure what "fruity" vanilla is. But I'm learning. And I'm highly suggestible (if I wear this tomorrow and agree it's "fruity and boozy" then I'll just have to admit you guys can talk me into thinking I can smell things that I really can't).

I'm wearing it again today and I must say I really do like it.
The vanilla is pleasant and kind of sweet. I would say that might be fuity as opposed to a dry spicy vanilla.
Once you've smelled Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin you have a hard time describing sweet vanilla. Au Masculin is super sweet.
This is sweet, but not super sweet. The spicy moves on quickly.
I really like the drydown where it seems like the party has quieted down and the nice comfy woody notes linger.

I've only given it a full wearing once or twice. All I can think of when I smell it is Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. I heard someone compare the two at some point, and I have a sample of TV, so I know what it smells like.... and I do agree that they are very similar. I have not wore it enough to discover the nuances of it.... I just know that I like it.

Ben

Once again my wife says "mmmm I like that. It smells like cinnamon and vanilla".
I really like it too.

I was finally able to try it last night. I gave myself a few sprays when I got home from work. I enjoyed the opening notes but was not thrilled with the dry down. It was a bit cloying to me. Maybe I am just not a fan of vanilla. I will give it a few more tries before I come to a decision.

This is definitely my go-to fragrance as soon as fall begins. I love the smell in every phase but especially early on. The bonus is that SWMBO can't get enough of me when I've got it on. :001_cool:

My brother knows I have a severe fragrance AD. He stopped by recently and had me break out all of the bottles in my bathroom. Out of around 100 that he tried, Eau des Baux was his favorite, and he promptly went out and bought a bottle. He is single, and swears the women he goes out with love it. The others he liked were DC 1913, Azzaro pH, Habit Rouge and Terre d'Hermes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm shopping for a bottle, but I can't seem to find a discount anywhere. It just irritates me to pay retail.:glare:

Women do seem to like it.
My wife likes it. Next time i'm in the USA i'll pick up a bottle.

Forgot to comment on this one myself.

I've been wearing Eau de Baux for a couple years now and put it in rotation as the weather starts to cool.

I consider this to be a more casual scent with decent legs, 6 to 8 hours of noticeable wear and another 2 or 3 hours of skin scent. The ladies seem to like it well enough and it smells different enough to catch a comment every now and then as well. This is a work friendly scent in my opinion, nothing shocking or loud about it, nice smooth tobacco, spice and vanilla. I love this scent and plan to keep it in rotation as long as they keep making it!

Time for Back to Black!

Top Bottom