What's new

2011 Semogue Owners Club announced - 24mm x 53mm in Finest Badger

Thanks for the review, shm.

I only have a Pure Badger Parker. This brush looks amazing to me so I bought one. I swear... this is my last purchase.

Nice review, Søren:thumbup:

It looks from your hammer test:lol: that it has just slightly less backbone than the 2010le, is that right or is just the photo?

Either way, looks like another great brush from Semogue!

Ken

I've been testing this brush thoroughly and have posted a review:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2823031

That's a good review and the hammer test is a neat idea. Thanks for posting it.

But shouldn't backbone be tested with a wet brush? I think both badger and boar hair behavior changes when wet, and as wet-shavers that behavior is what we care about. I would also like to see the weight balanced atop each handle, or applied at a consistent angle. The metric could be the relative difference between each brush's free loft and compressed loft, under some standard weight.

But shouldn't backbone be tested with a wet brush? I think both badger and boar hair behavior changes when wet, and as wet-shavers that behavior is what we care about. I would also like to see the weight balanced atop each handle, or applied at a consistent angle. The metric could be the relative difference between each brush's free loft and compressed loft, under some standard weight.

Yes, it would take some rigging, but a "backbone testing machine" wouldn't be too hard to make. And definitely test it soaked. Some hairs change massively when soaked.

i couldnt resist one of these, i am in love with my SOC boar handle, and i like the looks of the cherry....semogue is top notch!

Yes, it would take some rigging, but a "backbone testing machine" wouldn't be too hard to make. And definitely test it soaked. Some hairs change massively when soaked.

You are right, to get a truly picture it should be tested in wet condition, but the idea just came to me, and even if the photos show the brushes in dry condition, they do show the same difference as I experience when the brushes are wet.

Nice review, Søren:thumbup:

It looks from your hammer test:lol: that it has just slightly less backbone than the 2010le, is that right or is just the photo?

Either way, looks like another great brush from Semogue!

Ken

I think it is the photo, maybe because the 201LE is 3-band and has an acrylic handle, the light has some influence.
If I compare them while shaving, I really can't tell much of a difference - if any.

It's here it's here it's here! I went home for lunch, and give it a quick soak and a palm lather. I was surprised by the apparent increase in backbone over the '10 LE, but with comparable tip softness. I was also surprised at how well the inaugural palm lathering went. It's almost always MWF for me - soaked, couple quick shakes, and a few swirls on the puck. Lather everywhere. This is looking good. Hopefully, first shave tomorrow.

mailman just delivered mine!! I forgot I even purchased this. What a fine lookign brush with the nice wood... can't wait to try it today with my Mama Bears soap that came in today as well. :) Its a very happy tuesday.

SO glad a few more folks are picking these up. Let's see some reviews after you put them through the paces! :thumbup:

I know how brush naming semantics go from brush maker to brush maker - same names can mean different things. So, since Semogue calls the hair in this brush "finest," how does it compare to the venerable "finest" used by Rooney? I have been told by someone involved with making the Rooney Finest brushes that this was a very difficult to source grade of hair that cost three times as much as super silvertip when purchased raw.

Any two band aficionados able to make a comparison between the Semogue two band and others?

Rooney´s Finest is a different type and different from all other makers.

As regards Semogue´s 2 band most comparisons I´ve seen are with Shavemac´s.

I know how brush naming semantics go from brush maker to brush maker - same names can mean different things. So, since Semogue calls the hair in this brush "finest," how does it compare to the venerable "finest" used by Rooney? I have been told by someone involved with making the Rooney Finest brushes that this was a very difficult to source grade of hair that cost three times as much as super silvertip when purchased raw.

Any two band aficionados able to make a comparison between the Semogue two band and others?

I actually doubt we will ever see anything like a Rooney Finest again. I've owned a countless number of brushes and the hair used in the Rooney is unlike anything I've ever encountered before.

Would love to see more reviews on this brush, but I need another brush like I need a hole in the head...

Top Bottom