What's new

1988 Gillette Super Speed

I knew that ‘88 was the last year that Gillette made the Super Speed razor, so when I saw one come up on eBay, I jumped on it. I’ve used it about 5-6 times, now, with different blades (including Feather, Permasharp, and Astra) and honestly, it has left a lot to be desired. I have a ‘53, ‘54, and ‘76 SS, as well, and I can get good shaves with them in 2 passes, but I can barely get a decent shave with the ‘88 in 3 passes. What happened, did Gillette make the last ones extremely mild, or did I just get a bad one? The razor would skip over, and pull hairs, and didn’t do nearly as well as my other Superspeeds.

I knew that ‘88 was the last year that Gillette made the Super Speed razor, so when I saw one come up on eBay, I jumped on it. I’ve used it about 5-6 times, now, with different blades (including Feather, Permasharp, and Astra) and honestly, it has left a lot to be desired. I have a ‘53, ‘54, and ‘76 SS, as well, and I can get good shaves with them in 2 passes, but I can barely get a decent shave with the ‘88 in 3 passes. What happened, did Gillette make the last ones extremely mild, or did I just get a bad one? The razor would skip over, and pull hairs, and didn’t do nearly as well as my other Superspeeds.
Perhaps by 1988, they really, really wanted you to buy a cartridge razor?

Perhaps by 1988, they really, really wanted you to buy a cartridge razor?
Honestly, I’m thinking that’s probably the reason lol. While the shave wasn’t completely awful, I was expecting a better shave. I can get a great shave with my 1976, which is also a later, black-handled model, but I guess, cartridge razors weren’t as widely adopted, then.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The latest black handle Super Speeds are quite a different design than previous models. I can attest to the fact that they shave a bit more efficiently (at least my 1984 does, havent tried an '88) and have a larger gap. Gillette pretty much made milder razors as time went on but that changed in 1978 when they went to the rectangular shaped baseplate. Your '76 is actually the second style black handled model. Look closely at the baseplates.

Read this:

For me, not exactly like the red tip as that thread indicates but it is a great shaver. Gillette TTO (U.S.) went out with a bang!

I really like mine, no tugging or skipping with my blades -- Astras, Derbys, Polsilvers. Used it twice last week @FatboyD1958 .
I don't think they were a huge seller so they can be tricky to find in the wild.

1713499628350.png

I have used a 1975 model a bit and really enjoy it. I used it before the older style and find the 75 model more efficient so never used the older ones much yet. I have a couple 83 models so I will eventually give them a go.

Out of all the vintage TTO's nothing beats a nice red tip for me. I think they all vary a little bit from year to year and batch to batch but the one I have is an amazing razor. I never liked the adjustables that well. I still have a couple of each Slim/Black Beauty/Fat Boy that I will test out more as the years go by but so far my limited experience with them says they aren't as smooth as the non adjustables. I also love me a nice Tech.

Do give the later ones a try, the upgraded design is unlike the diamond stamped baseplate on your 1975.

View attachment 1832390
Did you ever test out any late 70’s models to see how they compared with the earlier 50s models?

I know the baseplate is still the older design on the 75 but it was definitely a better shaver then the mid 50s ones I tried. I have many super speeds I’ve never tested since I purchased them in a lot for a good price.

It takes a long time to test things out especially when I’m usually more focused on playing with blades and like to stick with the same GameChanger 84p when I do that.

Also do you prefer your 80s black handle to a older red tip? For me the red tip would almost be my number one pick if I wanted a simple daily shaver since I find TTO easier. It’s an amazing razor with a sharp blade.

I’ve been using a 78 super speed almost exclusively since 2012 , it belonged to my Godfather, I also have his 76 that I use for travel, both are awesome shavers .

Attachments

• IMG_0078.png
    IMG_0078.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Top Bottom