What's new

1/4 Hollow versus Extra Full-Hollow

I like the full hollow as it's lighter in weight and gives me a tactile feed back on what the razor is doing. If the angle isn't right or it gets stuck I can feel that and back up and correct where the larger heavier grinds wil just plow on through from momentum and you have to deal with the issue it left behind. So for me a 5/8 full hollow and I'm good, but I've never been interested in extra full hollow singing razors.

No preference - either is fine by me. Actually I haven't shaved with a grind I don't like.
To be honest, the size, style, and shape of the blade have to factor in here along with the grind. Right now I'm shaving daily with a very full hollow Sheffield.... the feedback is crazy... it's loud. In a week or so I'll be back to a heavy blade, probably the TI 1/4 hollow.. I would really love to try a new Evide Sonnant, I may pick one up.

R

Rsq

Couldnt agree more. I prefer short and wide razors.

No preference - either is fine by me. Actually I haven't shaved with a grind I don't like.
To be honest, the size, style, and shape of the blade have to factor in here along with the grind. Right now I'm shaving daily with a very full hollow Sheffield.... the feedback is crazy... it's loud. In a week or so I'll be back to a heavy blade, probably the TI 1/4 hollow.. I would really love to try a new Evide Sonnant, I may pick one up.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's quite telling that no one has yet proclaimed to only have one or the other...so the it seems you should just get both!

The Toyo, Diamond brand or other Tokyo brands??

These have all been gone for 50+ years. If you are seeing newish ones they are NoS.

I like hollow grinds, but I have had a couple 1/4 grinds that were really nice. That being said I only own one modern production razor (a Dovo). I don't really see how modern production makes a difference though. I think if you are partial to either heavy or hollow grinds you will probably feel the same way regardless of modern or vintage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses; you've given me food for thought. Would a 7/8 quarter-hollow preferable to a 6/8 since the resultant edge angle of the 7/8 would be narrower? And likewise, would a 5/8 or 4/8 extra full-hollow (singer) be preferable to a 6/8 for increased nimbleness and visibility? The reason I ask is because a 7/8 quarter-hollow and a 5/8 or 4/8 singer would have closer edge angles when compared. Is this the goal? Or would it be preferable to compare, for example, a 6/8 quarter-hollow to a 6/8 singer since there would be a greater difference in their respective edge angles?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses; you've given me food for thought. Would a 7/8 quarter-hollow preferable to a 6/8 since the resultant edge angle of the 7/8 would be narrower? And likewise, would a 5/8 or 4/8 extra full-hollow (singer) be preferable to a 6/8 for increased nimbleness and visibility? The reason I ask is because a 7/8 quarter-hollow and a 5/8 or 4/8 singer would have closer edge angles when compared. Is this the goal? Or would it be preferable to compare, for example, a 6/8 quarter-hollow to a 6/8 singer since there would be a greater difference in their respective edge angles?

It's all just a matter of preference. Most of the differences you are talking about are very small. The main difference would be heavy vs. hollow grind. You just have to experiment with both and see what you like.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's all just a matter of preference. Most of the differences you are talking about are very small. The main difference would be heavy vs. hollow grind. You just have to experiment with both and see what you like.

This is what makes the BST go round! :lol:

Top Bottom