What's new

The Wanderer's Journey

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
5 day beard

Brush: Vulfix London Series 514b Hyde Park
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Iceni
Method: Conventional Face Lathering

I recovered well enough from last week's migraine to attend the 50th birthday of a friend, out of town. However that did wear me out somewhat, so I have had a few days recovery from that too, and am now back to something of a baseline normality.

There were two things I wanted to try from this shave. One was how well the rather soft and fluffy pure badger in this brush copes with five day growth. It seemed to apply ok, but the proof is in the removal...

Razor: Game Changer 68-P and 84-P
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (25th shave)

The last few shaves on this blade definitely suggested that it was tiring. Today's shave, said enough was enough in the 68-P. Time to see what a step up to the 84-P does. This is the first time I have tried it with a "spent" blade, and I wasn't sure if it would suddenly seem shaper, of if it would be both bitey and blunt.

It was a very smooth shave. It wasn't remotely similar to a new blade feeling, but that buttery smooth feeling from a blade that's just settled in after losing its initial keenness. That's a win for both the brush and razor. It wasn't just better at ripping off the heavy growth, but still felt smooth and comfortable on the second pass. It really didn't feel like an aggressive razor at all.

5 day beard

Brush: Vulfix London Series 514b Hyde Park

I recovered well enough from last week's migraine to attend the 50th birthday of a friend, out of town. However that did wear me out somewhat, so I have had a few days recovery from that too, and am now back to something of a baseline normality.

There were two things I wanted to try from this shave. One was how well the rather soft and fluffy pure badger in this brush copes with five day growth. It seemed to apply ok, but the proof is in the removal...

Razor: Game Changer 68-P and 84-P
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (25th shave)

The last few shaves on this blade definitely suggested that it was tiring. Today's shave, said enough was enough in the 68-P. Time to see what a step up to the 84-P does. This is the first time I have tried it with a "spent" blade, and I wasn't sure if it would suddenly seem shaper, of if it would be both bitey and blunt.

It was a very smooth shave. It wasn't remotely similar to a new blade feeling, but that buttery smooth feeling from a blade that's just settled in after losing its initial keenness. That's a win for both the brush and razor. It wasn't just better at ripping off the heavy growth, but still felt smooth and comfortable on the second pass. It really didn't feel like an aggressive razor at all.
Yep that is how I like to do it as well. Move the waning blade into a more blade forward razor and it is smooth sailings again.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I lost track of growth, as there was an uneventful shave that I didn't log.

Brush: Vulfix London Series 513b Piccadilly
Method: Unintended Bowl Lathering

I am down to the last infuriating smear of soap in the loading dish. By the time the brush is loaded, the soap is also a bit aerated. There might be enough for one more shave, but I may need to supplement it with a wee squidge of Erasmic cream.

Razor: Game Changer 84-P
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (27th shave)

The first pass felt rather harsh, as though the blade edge was chipped. The second pass felt much smoother though. I'll attribute that to the lather for this shave, but I most likely won't have much patience should future passes be as harsh.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
6 day beard.

Brush: Vulfix London Series 513b Piccadilly
Method: Unintended Bowl Lathering

That was the last of that dish load of soap, so both pewter soap dishes now need reloading. I haven't yet swapped the brushes for this month. I might do that when I replenish the soaps.

Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (28th shave)

Despite having recently moved the blade up to the Game Changer 84-P head, it definitely felt tired. The razor still felt very aggressive though, which is an odd (to me) pairing of sensations. Of course, the six day beard could have something to do with that, so I need to see if that still feels the same on a two day beard. In fact, I had to do a cold water only (No lather) third pass to get my usual shave closeness, and I could really feel the cutting resistance on that pass.

There is definitely enough sharpness left in this blade to keep on shaving, but there might not be enough sharpness left to keep those shaves enjoyable. So while the 84-P head is great for blades that or too mild (narrow?) for the 68-P head, I am not entirely convinced that it will give a whole new lease of life to a blade that has already run its course in the milder head. I will strive to shave sooner next time though, to see if that makes a difference.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
59 hour growth

Brush: Vulfix London Series 403b Mayfair pure badger
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Interlinked
Method: Layered Lathering

All change!

20240506_195603.jpg

The pewter soap dishes were replenished with P+B Interlinked and RazoRock The Stallion. Both smell good. Both brushes were swapped too.

Either the soap and/or the brush took a bit of waking up today, and so the lather was layered up until it took its proper form. Note neither brush is "bloomed" out yet, as they have both been stowed in their tube/box.

Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (29th shave)

The lather was exceptionally good today, which led to a rather comedic second pass. The first pass felt fantastic, as if this blade had been miraculously refurbished. The second pass was utterly ridiculous.

I appear (despite my guide advising against this) to have settled into a habit of taking two swipes per lathered area on the second pass. Effectively a second and third pass trajectory, without relathering between them. With lather, the razor glided beautifully, without, there was an enormous amount of drag. Blade drought style drag. I have lived through a few blade droughts, and having to fight with a spent blade, because replacements are not available anywhere, is not a pleasant experience at all.

I persisted with the shave, purely because I found the huge contrast of glide, drag, glide, drag, highly amusing. I won't be doing that again though. That's the end of this blade, and I'll now be going back to the Lord ... whatever-I-was-using-in-February blade. I can't remember which razor that was in either, as I started using this Wilkie for the March Madness event, so I'll have to dig back through this journal to be sure I put it in the right blade holder.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It appears that February's blade was a Lord Platinum that had done eight shaves when I had to ditch it for the March Madness. That was in the 84-P, which it performed better in (needed to be in) rather than the 68-P. I don't think I have found a Lord blade which performs well in the 68-P head yet...

Anyway, that blade is now in that razor, ready for the next shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've had a couple of shaves without logging them, as the brain wasn't conducive to wrestling with forums, so now the Lord Platinum has done 10 shaves. More importantly, the two shaves I have just done with it in the 84-P, felt much better than the Wilkie did.

Even though the Wilkie was well used before transferring it to this razor, it still felt more aggressive than this Lord blade does. I'm sticking to my theory that these Lord blades I have (or at least the versions I have tried) are likely a bit narrower than the blades I like in the 68-P. Yes, other folks have taken measurements showing similar sizes, but abrasives wear, then get replaced with fresh. Variation is constant in manufacturing.

Here's the updated shave count for the blades used this year...

Derby Usta - 20 shaves
Lord Classic stainless - 9 shaves
Shark Super Stainless - 4 shaves
Shark Super Stainless (2nd try) - 2 shaves
(All the above were with the 68-P)
Wilkinson Sword - 29 shaves
(68-P and 84-P)
Lord Platinum - 10 shaves (ongoing)

Maybe I'll try a third Shark Stainless later in the year, but in the 84-P instead.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Brush: Vulfix London Series 404b Mayfair pure badger
Soap: RazoRock The Stallion
Method: Layered Lathering

This was my first use of this soap, or any RazoRock soap, and so layering up seemed the most sensible approach.. The oud scent is very pleasant, and at a good strength for me too. Noticeable, but not overbearing. Performance wise, it's OK. Nothing exceptional, but it does the job.

Blade: Lord Platinum (11th shave)

Having now shaved with this blade again, with a little more cognitive awareness, I don't think I am going to bounce blades between razors when they get tired. Blades belong in one razor or the other, depending on it's feel in the shave, and should stay there for the full life of the blade. Once that blade grows tired, that's it done. New blade. I did coax a few more shaves from the Wilkie by transferring it up to the 84-P Game Changer, but none were as comfortable as this blade is in this razor. If I'm unsure which razor a blade belongs in, I'll start it off in the 68-P for the first shave, and see if it's going to need the assistance of the wider throat. Then wherever it needs to start, it shall remain until disposal.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Brush: Vulfix London Series 404b Mayfair pure badger
Method: Liquid Load

This loading method improved the performance of the soap, and also made the high lofted (roughly 2.5x knot ratio) brush feel enormous, despite only being 19mm or 20mm diameter. There was more prickle from the knot too. Overall, a very different lathering experience to the previous shave.

Blade: Lord Platinum (12th shave)

I think the blade might be getting ready for a clean and flip. I also think fifteen or sixteen shaves will be about the limit for this one, which is very respectable in my opinion.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Brush: Simpson Special in Best
Method: Liquid Load

This brush doesn't feel as aggressively scrubby as my memory suggests it used to. There's no shortage of scrub, but it feels less likely to give me brush burn than I remember.

Blade: Lord Platinum (13th shave)

The blade tugged a bit today. I wasn't sure if that was due to blade, lather or operator. After the shave, I decided to flip the blade, and moticed it's looking rather stained. That might be the culprit. I'll give it another try on the next shave, before disposing of it.

20240516_163717.jpg

I have tried four of the new blades so far, three of which worked well in one of the Game Changers. I'll have a rummage and dig out something to switch to, once this current blade is declared defunct.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Brush: Simpson Special in Best
Method: Fluke

It doesn't happen often, but this time it did. Total fluke. I loaded just the right amount of soap in a brush that had just the right amount of water. Instant lather. No tweaking required.

Razor: Game Changer 68-P
Blade: Dorco Titan (1st shave)

After deciding I am too well stocked to go chasing the last few shaves of a dying blade, I ditched the Lord Platinum and loaded a Dorco Titan in the 68-P. It feels distinctly average. On a par with Derby Extra, Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium, Israeli Personna Platinum, Gillette Platinum, and so on. A boring shave in many respects. I'm sure it will comfortably do 10 shaves.

Bumping it up to the 84-P would make it more interesting, but I don't think it needs to be. It works just fine in this one. I might try it if I get too bored though...

It doesn't happen often, but this time it did. Total fluke. I loaded just the right amount of soap in a brush that had just the right amount of water. Instant lather. No tweaking required.
Congrats! I love it when that happens. The instant lather and no fussing really elevates the shave 😄.

How are you doing on the brush front? Are you planning any acquisitions? I haven't ordered any brushes since the Shavemac configurator closing and feel like I am at critical mass now. However that could change 🤣.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Congrats! I love it when that happens. The instant lather and no fussing really elevates the shave 😄.

How are you doing on the brush front? Are you planning any acquisitions? I haven't ordered any brushes since the Shavemac configurator closing and feel like I am at critical mass now. However that could change 🤣.

I'm snowed under with the bloody things :lol:

I already felt like I had far too many before I had crested the wave, but curiosity kept towing me along. Thankfully the curiosity has burnt out, and now it's the slow steady stroll of usage, trying to discern which ones should remain here, and which should dwell elsewhere. I say slow and steady, because many don't feel broken in enough to make a true assessment yet.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oops! Forgot to log the shave from this afternoon.

Brush: Vulfix London Series 403b Mayfair pure badger
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Interlinked

Hooray for journals. I knew I was using a Phoenix and Beau soap, but couldn't remember for the life of me, which one.

Razor: Game Changer 68-P
Blade: Dorco Titan (2nd shave)

I think I should try this blade in the 84-P. It felt a little harder work than a fresh blade should today. As I was rinsing off, I could feel very light stubble, and so I rinsed the razor, and took a "hovering" pass over it with water only. Nothing happened. The blade didn't make cobtact with the stubble at all. No sound, no feedback. I don't think my angle was off, and wasn't prepared to go "hunting". When I remember, I'll swap razors.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I know I have the new Semogue Pegasus Mistura hanging around the back of my mind... I can't see to shake it.... but alas... two new sets of tires... one for each car.. I need to wait a while.

It's a good looking brush, Kim. I really liked those red ones they released recently. I think they were a limited release for a different forum, or something.

Top Bottom