What's new

Quest for less technology

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I really like mine. Just wish I could get the black handle with the black knot. Go Vader on it.

View attachment 1835777

Emperor Palpatine likes his trucks on the dark side, he really embraces his true power, with the Ford Lightning.

1714109641635.png

1714109655747.png

Morning shave - 4/26/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: RazoRock Hive 24
Aftershave: AV Classic
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Very much a repeat of yesterday's shave. Another awesome shave. Plenty close and no irritation. This razor and blade combination is certainly a good one. The blade is plenty sharp, but smooth at the same time. Quick work, easy work of my whiskers.

I am in a dilemma my friends. As some of you know my birthday was while I was on the cruise and my dear wife had not gotten me a birthday present. When we got home she asked me what I wanted her to get me or I could save it until the pen show in June and get something there. We will each have a budget for the pen show so we will not go without anyways, but this would be over and beyond. I have so many rabbit holes that needs to get filled in so I do not know where to go on this.

Right at this moment I do not have any razors, blades, brushes (hmm I just ordered one.........) that I know of that I "need". I am leaning towards my fountain pen and ink addiction here. There are a few pens that I would not mind. I know I will get my Montblanc 146 worked on at the show, but besides that there are several that I would not mind. I have looked at the Conklin Raven Black. It is very Darth Vaderish which would make @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker very proud. It is just cool looking.
1714130672184.png

Or maybe an Opus 88 Jazz Black. Which has a great ink shut off valve, which works well if you travel by plane.
1714130812220.png

Or a Sheaffer Icon. Very unique looking pen
1714130915970.png

maybe I should be supporting a local business here in Raleigh with Franklin-Christoph and get a model 31
1714131522788.png

or maybe a vintage restored pen....... everyone needs a Parker 51 right?
1714131032097.png

or vintage sheaffer
1714131213099.png

would not mind a Waterman Carene either
1714131279469.png

Who knows where this will take me. So many choices.........maybe I will get a couple.

Happy shaves everyone!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Morning shave - 4/26/24
Very much a repeat of yesterday's shave. Another awesome shave. Plenty close and no irritation. This razor and blade combination is certainly a good one. The blade is plenty sharp, but smooth at the same time. Quick work, easy work of my whiskers.

I am in a dilemma my friends. As some of you know my birthday was while I was on the cruise and my dear wife had not gotten me a birthday present. When we got home she asked me what I wanted her to get me or I could save it until the pen show in June and get something there. We will each have a budget for the pen show so we will not go without anyways, but this would be over and beyond. I have so many rabbit holes that needs to get filled in so I do not know where to go on this.

Right at this moment I do not have any razors, blades, brushes (hmm I just ordered one.........) that I know of that I "need". I am leaning towards my fountain pen and ink addiction here. There are a few pens that I would not mind. I know I will get my Montblanc 146 worked on at the show, but besides that there are several that I would not mind. I have looked at the Conklin Raven Black. It is very Darth Vaderish which would make @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker very proud. It is just cool looking.
View attachment 1835885
Or maybe an Opus 88 Jazz Black. Which has a great ink shut off valve, which works well if you travel by plane.
View attachment 1835889
View attachment 1835892
maybe I should be supporting a local business here in Raleigh with Franklin-Christoph and get a model 31
View attachment 1835901
View attachment 1835893
or vintage sheaffer
View attachment 1835895
View attachment 1835897

Who knows where this will take me. So many choices.........maybe I will get a couple.

Happy shaves everyone!

While I know next to nothing about these types of beautiful pens, I do know they are filled with ink. And if you were using a RED ink pen, I can totally see why having a shutoff valve would be good, if you had this pen on a plane. You don't want to be the person who gets up from his seat, scaring 200 passengers on the plane, when they think you were just stabbed, while there is red ink running down your shirt. Oops, sorry everyone, I forgot to turn off my valve, I can't hold my ink! 🤪

Then again, with those sharp points on the end, I doubt this would make it through TSA security, probably would have to put it in checked luggage or something IDK. lol But yeah, some things just look good on the dark side of the material possession force. Yes, I can feel it positively flowing, oh, thats just ink running down, dang it, I forgot to turn off the valve again. Wife's gonna kill me for ruining another one of my shirts, you can never get the stain out. 🤪

While I know next to nothing about these types of beautiful pens, I do know they are filled with ink. And if you were using a RED ink pen, I can totally see why having a shutoff valve would be good, if you had this pen on a plane. You don't want to be the person who gets up from his seat, scaring 200 passengers on the plane, when they think you were just stabbed, while there is red ink running down your shirt. Oops, sorry everyone, I forgot to turn off my valve, I can't hold my ink! 🤪

Then again, with those sharp points on the end, I doubt this would make it through TSA security, probably would have to put it in checked luggage or something IDK. lol But yeah, some things just look good on the dark side of the material possession force. Yes, I can feel it positively flowing, oh, thats just ink running down, dang it, I forgot to turn off the valve again. Wife's gonna kill me for ruining another one of my shirts, you can never get the stain out. 🤪
I have been successful in not having leaks in any of my pens while travelling. You just need to make sure the pen is filled full and I put them in a zip lock bag for extra security. Also storing them nib up helps. TSA do not have any issues with the fountain pens. At least not right now. I guess you never know what they will do in the future, but for now it is all good to keep them in your carry on. I can see it now someone trying to take over a plane with a fountain pen.

It is the change in air pressure during take off and decent that can cause them to leak. The more air space you have in the ink reservoir that more air pressure difference you build. That is why keeping it as full as you can helps. I usually keep a ball point pen for use during the flight and I have been fine so far.

Morning shave - 4/26/24

View attachment 1835885
View attachment 1835889
View attachment 1835892
View attachment 1835901
View attachment 1835893
or vintage sheaffer
View attachment 1835895
View attachment 1835897

Happy shaves everyone!
AAAARGH! So many gorgeous pens that I DO NOT NEED!!! I'm slipping, slipping, the edges of the rabbit hole under my feet are crumbling...Thankfully, we do not have anything like a pen show here in the middle of nowhere. I'd be in some serious trouble...I'm gonna have to "nib" this in the bud...BADABOOM! That was close.

fzdR.gif

AAAARGH! So many gorgeous pens that I DO NOT NEED!!! I'm slipping, slipping, the edges of the rabbit hole under my feet are crumbling...Thankfully, we do not have anything like a pen show here in the middle of nowhere. I'd be in some serious trouble...I'm gonna have to "nib" this in the bud...BADABOOM! That was close.

View attachment 1835983
well maybe just one..........
monty python GIF by Head Like an Orange

john cleese best moment ever GIF

I love that show, Fawlty Towers, best English comedy there ever was. So many hilarious scenes in that show too, and this was one of my favorites!

For those who have not seen the show, I'll post the clip for comedic enlightenment. 😁

Not to be a smart alec, but that picture that I used was from Monty Pythons "Meaning of life". the whole Mr Creosote scene. Just be warned it is a bit disturbing. Very funny watch though. Faulty Towers was a fantastic series.

View attachment 1835983
You beat me to it Don, I was thinking the same thing. I have three tabs pulled up with some of those suggestions.

sandlot youre killing me smalls GIF

I was thinking if the Conklin was matte black it would be in my possession soon. A good price on those as well.

Edit, I stopped looking after the Sheaffer, my FPAD was kicking in.
Yeah the Conklin was not too bad and they have a good number of colors as well. Not sure if they have a matte black though. Maybe. I know what you talking about regarding FPAD though. I probably be in so much trouble at the Pen show in June.

Yeah the Conklin was not too bad and they have a good number of colors as well. Not sure if they have a matte black though. Maybe. I know what you talking about regarding FPAD though. I probably be in so much trouble at the Pen show in June.
It's a good thing Dallas is far enough away that I'd probably skip the pen show. On a side note, I have tanked the ink in a few of the pens I brought to the store. I've been using fountain pens at work for a few months.

Morning shave - 4/26/24

View attachment 1835885
View attachment 1835889
View attachment 1835892
View attachment 1835901
View attachment 1835893
or vintage sheaffer
View attachment 1835895
View attachment 1835897

Happy shaves everyone!
I have had excellent with all six of my Parker pens, and, everyone should have a "51". My second choice of your mentioned pens is the Waterman Carene. Such a sleek pen. At some point I will get my hands on one. I have a few pens in line for restoration, I just have to measure the PVC tubing to ship them in that Danny Fudge suggests. After Those are restored the Carene will likely be my next pen. Both my Sheafers were sold as refurbished and both leaked on delivery as were my vintage Pelikan and two Mont Blancs. I love Touchdowns and Snorkels, especially Imperials from Sheafer. If you get them at a pen show you will have better luck than me. With the exception of my two Lamy 2000s and my Blue Diamond Parker "51" that came from parker51.com, I got from Ebay. Going to a pen show you are already ahead of the game. Here in town locally we have Indy Pen Dance who does a monthly pen tray of pens they restore but they only do online sales and refurb. I may use them for the piston filler's restoration. They charge more than Than thewritepen.net, but, I think Mr Fudge doesn't do all kinds of fills. Anyway. I am sure you will love whatever you end up with.

I have had excellent with all six of my Parker pens, and, everyone should have a "51". My second choice of your mentioned pens is the Waterman Carene. Such a sleek pen. At some point I will get my hands on one. I have a few pens in line for restoration, I just have to measure the PVC tubing to ship them in that Danny Fudge suggests. After Those are restored the Carene will likely be my next pen. Both my Sheafers were sold as refurbished and both leaked on delivery as were my vintage Pelikan and two Mont Blancs. I love Touchdowns and Snorkels, especially Imperials from Sheafer. If you get them at a pen show you will have better luck than me. With the exception of my two Lamy 2000s and my Blue Diamond Parker "51" that came from parker51.com, I got from Ebay. Going to a pen show you are already ahead of the game. Here in town locally we have Indy Pen Dance who does a monthly pen tray of pens they restore but they only do online sales and refurb. I may use them for the piston filler's restoration. They charge more than Than thewritepen.net, but, I think Mr Fudge doesn't do all kinds of fills. Anyway. I am sure you will love whatever you end up with.
Yeah I'm probably getting a parker 51 at the show and then we will see. Yeah maybe a sheaffer touchdown. I have a sheaffer cadet after my dad that i restored myself and a sheaffer imperial IV which I got last year at the show.

Since the show is in Raleigh, Franklin Christoph is there in force. My wife had two of their and she loves them. We will see. I got a Lamy 2000 last year at the show last year which I love. Probably my favorite pen.

The Waterman Carene is a absolutely stunning pen to me.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm probably getting a parker 51 at the show and then we will see. Yeah maybe a sheaffer touchdown. I have a sheaffer cadet after my dad that i restored myself and a sheaffer imperial IV which I got last year at the show.

Since the show is in Raleigh, Franklin Christoph is there in force. My wife had two of their and she loves them. We will see. I got a Lamy 2000 last year at the show last year which I love. Probably my favorite pen.
My touchdown is an imperial 4 I think. I love the nib on it. It will be one of the first pens I send in for refurb. My Snorkel is a Sentinel. My first Lamy 2000 came in a plastic bag from Amazon for 130 bucks. The last one came from Goulet Pens with the box for considerably more. I am kind of picky going for traditional fillers as opposed to cartridge/convertors, and slip caps as opposed to screw on ones. The only C/C pens I have are my two Parker 45s in stainless. They always seem to slow start and dry out. My first fountain pen was also cartridge 26 years ago when I was in the army and it always leaked and turned me off them until I became curious through the nib forum here at B&B. I lucked out with my Parker “51”s and 61. Those four pens gave me such a good experience I pretty much blindly jumped in with the first 2000.

My touchdown is an imperial 4 I think. I love the nib on it. It will be one of the first pens I send in for refurb. My Snorkel is a Sentinel. My first Lamy 2000 came in a plastic bag from Amazon for 130 bucks. The last one came from Goulet Pens with the box for considerably more. I am kind of picky going for traditional fillers as opposed to cartridge/convertors, and slip caps as opposed to screw on ones. The only C/C pens I have are my two Parker 45s in stainless. They always seem to slow start and dry out. My first fountain pen was also cartridge 26 years ago when I was in the army and it always leaked and turned me off them until I became curious through the nib forum here at B&B. I lucked out with my Parker “51”s and 61. Those four pens gave me such a good experience I pretty much blindly jumped in with the first 2000.
The nib on the imperial that I have is pretty sweet as well. I have a parker 45 as well with a cartridge but I have not had any issues with that. The only issue with non cartridge filled pens is that they take longer to clean but overall I like them all.

I've only been at this with fountain pens for about 4 years but I certainly have done my fair share of"damage" so to speak. I bought a brand new montblanc 146 last year and I'm disappointed in it. It hard started a lot of of the box and i had all kinds of issues. I sent it back for warranty repair and I still had to pay for shipping which ended up costing 60 dollars. When I got the pen back I had the same issues.

When your pay premium for a pen your expect or to be premium. I'll have a nib meister work on it during the raleigh pen show and see if they can tune it up for me. I so want to like it.

Top Bottom