What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

10/10:straight:Good start. The next few weeks will determine if Athena's a keeper. Until now, I never realized how mild the feather DE really is.
photomania-c50a4791a28ef9504a1ca49c7fe9371f.jpg

Last edited:
7.5 out of 10 Technically a clean, not quite BBS shave... but, I got a few weepers, and the Feather on day 3 continues to make me anxious. I switched it from the Tech to the King C Gillette today and it was much better behaved but if it was a fog, id want a muzzle on it in public places...

The soap... it doesn't make a long-lasting lather so probably not the best pairing for a Feather. As I lather my cheeks, the foam on my neck starts to break down and it's a bit of a 2 minute game of whack-a-mole to get foamy. 🙃 I ended up reapplying to smaller areas as I went.

Yaqi 20mm synthetic brush
Triumph and Disaster Old Fashioned cream
King C. Gillette head, Feather New Hi-Stainless (day 3) on Maggards handle
Ice cold water for the rinse
Gillette aftershave
Nivea Sensitive Post shave balm.
20240423_131550.jpg

7.5 out of 10 Technically a clean, not quite BBS shave... but, I got a few weepers, and the Feather on day 3 continues to make me anxious. I switched it from the Tech to the King C Gillette today and it was much better behaved but if it was a fog, id want a muzzle on it in public places...

The soap... it doesn't make a long-lasting lather so probably not the best pairing for a Feather. As I lather my cheeks, the foam on my neck starts to break down and it's a bit of a 2 minute game of whack-a-mole to get foamy. 🙃 I ended up reapplying to smaller areas as I went.

Yaqi 20mm synthetic brush
Triumph and Disaster Old Fashioned cream
King C. Gillette head, Feather New Hi-Stainless (day 3) on Maggards handle
Ice cold water for the rinse
Gillette aftershave
Nivea Sensitive Post shave balm.View attachment 1834139
Nice. I really hope that you can find some non-Feather sharp blades to try with your Tech! Nacets, 7 O'Clock Yellow and Perma-Sharps are the bomb!

@DHowz Yep - I'm being a bit stubborn with the Feather but have found 7 o'clock in blue black green and yellow. I'll get a few packs, including the yellows. I do love experimenting with AliExpress blades. Also just received 100 Jifuli ones that I got for half of nothing that I will have to get through eventually!
Outstanding! Definitely try the Yellows in the Tech. I think you will like them!

Kit

Pre-shave:
Scrubbing mit w/Dr. Bronner's followed by PAA Cube 2.0 Preshave
Soap: The Sudsy Soapery Twisted Rose
Bowl: PAA Intergalactic Shave Scuttle (boiling water)
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite
Razors: Leaf w/3 blades: Rapira for the head shave & Late 30s New Short Comb loaded with Personna Red (Israeli) for neck, cheeks and beard line.
Post-shave: PAA Alum block
Post-shower: My custom blended beard oil, Castor Oil for my face followed by Derma-E Ultra Hydrating Night Repair Cream

Rating: 8.5 out of 10

This is the 2nd shave with the blades in each razor The first shave was definitely a 10 judged by having near zero feedback from the post-shave alum.

This 2nd shave the post-shave alum feedback was louder though not egregious. Head shave resulted in BBS and the head and cheek shave was pretty close to BBS. A few weepers on my neck, but as I've mentioned in other B&B posts, my neck is highly sensitive regardless of how I prep or what I do or use: been that way since I started shaving so long ago.

Like many others, I absolutely love this version of the Personna blade and use these exceedingly sparingly now.

Post-shave I alway shower to properly clean up my beard and always finish with full on cold water. Skin care as noted above.

I've been playing around with using straight Castor oil on my face and very, very lightly on my scalp. I'm to understand Castor has some excellent benefits and thus far am pleased with how it feels. At least on my skin, tending to be dry, I've no issues and by morning am not greasy. I think the phrase, "A little dab'll do ya," was probably born of someone using Castor oil.

Preshave: Glycerine Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather Artist Club DX Non-Folding
Blade : Feather Super Professional (D2)
Brush : Simpson Chubby 3 in Manchurian Badger
Soap : Wilkinson Sword Shaving Stick
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + Old Spice Musk AS Lotion

Close and comfortable BBS in 3 passes !! :pipe:

Rating : 9.90/10

Feather_DX2.jpg
feather_pro_super11.jpgChubby3ManchurianBW.jpg

Tue 23
Cream Saponificio Bignoli BlackBerry & Moss
Brush Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown
Razor J.R. Torrey 5/8
Aftershave B&M Le Grand Chypre
Nice lather and scent from this cream, brush, and splash combination. Enjoyed a good shave with this razor. It was refreshed on the HBA and the edge was soft, smooth & comfortably keen...Rating 9.8
20240423_070918.jpg

Date23.04.2024
366 daily shaves
114/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW Flat BottomKCG China (4)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (96)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Weepers)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS)
6/10 (Harsh)

Notes:

Summary. Approaching marble on the cheeks today, but the journey was less stellar.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

20240422_193535.jpg

Razor: Hoffritz Slant
Blade: Shark Platinum (1st)
Brush: DS Cosmetics synthetic
Soap: Vintage Shulton Old Spice
After: Vintage Old Spice Original
Rating: 8/10
Notes: I got my Hoffritz slant out for a shave this morning as it has been a while since I've used any of my Slants. Also gave a shark Platinum another try and this time the results were great. Three passes, BBS shave. It's something with me and slants I get the same 3 weepers in spots I normally don't get weepers. No irritation other than those three weepers.

Top Bottom