What's new

January Mess Hall Group Cookout ~ Theme: Winter Vegtables

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cabbage and carrots are winter vegetables, right? If so, I will be cooking up some chicken soup for my wife tomorrow, and both of those are in it. Yeah, a little late to the game- it had been a crazy couple of weeks.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Cabbage and carrots are winter vegetables, right? If so, I will be cooking up some chicken soup for my wife tomorrow, and both of those are in it. Yeah, a little late to the game- it had been a crazy couple of weeks.

Sounds like winter to me, Owen. Lets see the soul soothing soup.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Winter is over? From your lips to God's ears.

Fire in, Chicken soup is soul food.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Winter is over? From your lips to God's ears.

Fire in, Chicken soup is soul food.
Well, the cookout is near close, winter is something else. The best chicken soup I have ever had was in a deli in downtown Cleveland. Everything since has fallen short.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My food never looks good. Here is 4 chicken thighs, 5 carrots, a couple stalks of celery, three red potatoes, 1/4 head of cabbage, 3 cloves of garlic, a white onion, elbow macaroni, and a can of tomato sauce.
$IMG_2998.jpg

Kabocha Pumpkin Stew with twice baked potato mash.

Used a piece of this squash last weekend in another cook off dish and after making the stew still have a small piece left for another something. Sauteéd onions and garlic, chili flakes, pumpkin, celery, carrots, parsnips and added a jar of the summer's tomato chunks.

Twice baked potatoes, russet potatoes baked, split in half, flesh emptied into a bowl, flavoured with loads of butter, milk and salt. Usually then re-stuff the skins with the mix (and did with half) and re-bake, my wife and daughter are big on these and variations. The stew recipe suggested a side of mashed potatoes so i worked the other half of the potato mix a bit differently, blob of potatoes on a cookie sheet, dust with paprika, broil to hopefully crisp them up, give them some texture, finally topped with caramelized shallots.

My wife's comments on the potatoes, "I could eat these all day long", at the same time i'm eating mine thinking this is really gross food, blech! I have no problem putting them together, salt, milk, butter, taste, evaluate, adjust, re-taste bring it all together, okay thats got it, tastes right, maybe even good. Sit down to eat and the reaction, same as it's always been, like a baby experiencing solid food for the first time, "What are you trying to do to me, what's this abomination you've stuck in my mouth?" I think i have a similar facial expression to go along with the experience. Blah. Maybe a whole pan of shallots would have made the potatoes palatable.

My disdain for hot mushy food remains intact for another day...

Wine, house red, Peleé Island- Baco Noir

Music- The Rough Guide to Latin Rare Groovedave

Looks amazing dave. Pumpkin in savory dishes, I like that idea. I'm on the page of loving the twice baked potatoes, I'm a huge fan of them. lol

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just some simple Brussels sprouts. Cooked 3 pieces of bacon, then removed. I added olive oil, 3 cloves of garlic (minced), then the sprout. Near the end I chopped up the bacon and put it back in.

Attachments

• $IMG_3033.jpg
    $IMG_3033.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 12

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice Owen. You're getting pretty good at the picture thing.

Traditional beef stew tonight for the cookoff. Sirloin beef, Yukon taters, carrots, onion, garlic, red wine, beef stock, parsley and a little love. Homemade cornbread on the side (not boxed), grass fed cow butter from Ireland and local Texas honey.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Very nice Aaron. I know, next months theme bleeds over a bit from this one. I've had a really rough week and my brain is maybe not firing on all cylinders. lol

Looks amazing dave. Pumpkin in savory dishes, I like that idea. I'm on the page of loving the twice baked potatoes, I'm a huge fan of them. lol

Thanks Dustin!

Endless variations you can do with the twice baked potato, anything goes for filling additions or toppings.

If i were to revisit the stew i'd turn it to a curry and use white basmati as the bed to pile it atop.

Another new one, this one from a vegan cookbook but used regular ingredients i had on hand instead of sourcing the vegan version and then i went and topped with yogurt, no rules allowed here. So, Suppose-to-be-Vegan Cabbage Roll Bowl.

Tomato sauce was a jar we canned a couple summers ago using garden tomatoes. Filling is cooked green lentils, pecans, dried garden tomatoes, onion, olde fashion rolled oats, EVOO, Worcestershire sauce, Bragg's Amino's, salt and pepper. Recipe said to throw all that in the food processor and pulse, too easy to turn all those different densities into mush so most were pulsed individually to maintain some solidity and chew.

Added some sauerkraut to the bowls for some more interest and variety. All in all worked out well. Vegetarian bowl rather then vegan.

dave

Nice Owen. You're getting pretty good at the picture thing.

Traditional beef stew tonight for the cookoff. Sirloin beef, Yukon taters, carrots, onion, garlic, red wine, beef stock, parsley and a little love. Homemade cornbread on the side (not boxed), grass fed cow butter from Ireland and local Texas honey.

View attachment 718626

Aaron, outstanding looking bowl! Beef looks melt-in-your-mouth tender, i think i can almost taste it!

It's not getting cold way down south there?

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron, outstanding looking bowl! Beef looks melt-in-your-mouth tender, i think i can almost taste it!

It's not getting cold way down south there?

dave

Thanks Dave. Yours looks amazing. Homemade tomato sauces are King.

Making beef stew can make the weather feel cold even if it's not.

Top Bottom