What's new

Cella in Tub

Virtually every site that sells Cella in the tub lists the amount in the container, by weight, as 150 grams. However, the package lists the amount in the container, by volume, as 150 ml. Granted that the fate of the free world does not rest on this, but in order to more closely compare to the 1 kilo brick does anyone know the actual weight of the soap contained in the tub? Thanks!!

If you want to convert to grams you have to know the density of the soap. I believe the weight is slightly less than 150g. Somewhere between 145g - 148g. Bear in mind the 1kg brick is 990g as well.

Just weigh the full unused tub, when empty weigh the tub again and the difference is what the soap weighs.

I imagine if the container held water the volume and weight would be the same. As the soap has some air and fats in it it should weigh somewhat less.

As the density of shaving soap is not that significantly different from the density of water: take the price of the 1 kg Cella brick, divide it by 1000g and multiply it with 150g.

Unless the price you get this way is fairly close to the actual price of the Cella shaving soap in the 150 ml orange tub, I am not even sure why we are having this discussion.

B.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what density has to do with a question relating solely to weight (density is a function of both volume and weight, I think). Also, not much of a penny pincher so not really following the cost angle. Was a simple observation of advertised vs. actual qualities. Beware the Ides of January!

[
Not quite sure what density has to do with a question relating solely to weight (density is a function of both volume and weight, I think). Also, not much of a penny pincher so not really following the cost angle. Was a simple observation of advertised vs. actual qualities. Beware the Ides of January!

Yes, what you thought was indeed correct.
But as you now talk about "simple observation of advertised vs. actual qualities", I don't think there is any need to further elaborate what density has to do with mass and volume.

Noted your reference about the Ides of January too; but as J.C. found out to his own detriment, it's the Ides of March that you really need to worry about. :death:

B.

Last edited:
To be fair, the Ides falls on the 13th in January so there was never a true concern there. I will keep a keen eye on March!

Thanks again! 👍

FYi - the "one kilo" brick is not a kilo. It is 1000ml. Yes, the brick is also measured by volume, not weight. The brick I just received weighed something like 983 grams. From that, it is easy to see that the soap is less dense than water.

3.69€ for ~150g/ml versus 12.70€ for ~1000g/1000ml so, the cheapest per g/ml option is the larger one where I shop.

What the hell did I just read?

Well, here's the Cliff Notes version. Cella in the tub is universally advertised as 150 grams of soap. The package however indicates that it is 150 ml. This difference, while interesting, is inconsequential. 150 ml of this soap very closely equates to 150 grams due to the high water content.

The gratuitous, and obvious, side point is that the 1000 gram package is a far better value.

Those crazy Italians! I was just telling the wife how they always get their ml and grams mixed up!
I know there are a ton of people who think Cella Crema is the shiznits, but I just don't get it. It's a really good performer, but I find it too mild on the scent. I used it the other day and had my bride smell my face. She said it didn't leave any scent at all. For me, I would rather support the smaller artisans anyway, so I guess I'll just continue down that path. My Cella is now in the second drawer, making an occasional shave appearance when I don't want my face to smell like anything. Always remember, "Never bet against a Sicilian when death is on the line".

Those crazy Italians! I was just telling the wife how they always get their ml and grams mixed up!
I know there are a ton of people who think Cella Crema is the shiznits, but I just don't get it. It's a really good performer, but I find it too mild on the scent. I used it the other day and had my bride smell my face. She said it didn't leave any scent at all. For me, I would rather support the smaller artisans anyway, so I guess I'll just continue down that path. My Cella is now in the second drawer, making an occasional shave appearance when I don't want my face to smell like anything. Always remember, "Never bet against a Sicilian when death is on the line".

Hah! Crazy maybe, but undoubtedly they have perfected the art of living. Cella is yet another example. Loooove the Cella!!! Let my 16 year old try it too; was one of those aha moments for him.

Fortunately for you, Cella e fatto a Milano!

I do not remember the exact answer. I recall noticing the same thing about grams and mls. I weighed my Cella and recall it being very very close to 1:1.

Top Bottom