What's new

It all starts tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the day I have set to dive in and have my first DE shave. I will be using the same cream (Maca Root) that I have been using for the last few months with carts. Having already started to suffer from early onset RAD, I think I have decided that I am going to start with a vintage Super Speed instead of my brand new 34C HD (and have a contract tech headed my way :blush:).

The only thing I am still trying to decide on is which blade I am going to go with. I have a small sample pack which has:
Dery Super Stainless
Astra Superior Platinum
Dorco Platinum
and Erbe Solingen Fresh Tradition

I think I am leaning towards the Derby, as I have seen it referenced a few times around here as a decent blade to get started with, but still undecided.

David

Just about any blade for the superspeed.

I'd leave the Derby for your first slant or Fatip razor. Derby needs more blade exposure to give a good shave

I always recommend new shavers to start with the Astra SP and stick with that blade for at least 3 months before trying any others.

Tough question because the blade choice is far less important than technique at this point. So, first I suggest you read through the wiki.

Of your options, the only one in my top 5 is Astra SP, which work very well for me. That would be my choice!

I don't think you can go wrong with an Astra SP in a vintage Super Speed. I used that combo earlier this week, in fact, and got a really nice shave.

Welcome, and enjoy your shaves.

The Astra SP is a good solid blade. I'd start there, and only try the others once you've got a good feel for the razor.

Tough question because the blade choice is far less important than technique at this point. So, first I suggest you read through the wiki.

Of your options, the only one in my top 5 is Astra SP, which work very well for me. That would be my choice!

+1

Welcome to a new world and I wish you the best for your first shave. Just take your time and don't apply any pressure with the razor. Enjoy the experience!

Just about any blade for the superspeed.

I'd leave the Derby for your first slant or Fatip razor. Derby needs more blade exposure to give a good shave

I always recommend new shavers to start with the Astra SP and stick with that blade for at least 3 months before trying any others.

You may not want/need to use any other blade - ever. Astra SP is my one and only blade, now.

Good luck on your road to shaving adventure. Let us know how your first shave goes.

I started with the Derby blades that came with my newly purchased EJDE89L. I had ordered a few tucks of Astra SP's but had read Derby's were smooth and a good beginer blade. In the end it really didn't matter but I would go with the Astra's. Good Luck and take your time.

Yes^. Let us know how it goes. Take your time, use a very light touch, and enjoy your shave! :001_smile

There's lots of good advice here. I would also suggest the Astra SP, they have always worked well for me.

Good luck and keep us posted

Hi David, welcome to B&B
I'd go with the Astra, but I'm very biased - me and Derby blades are just chalk and cheese
Good luck

Top Bottom