What's new

Unlucky Tiger?

Hey guys, I usually spend my time trolling in the SR section, but I wanted to make my way over here to ask all of your opinions on the Lucky Tiger face tonic. It is marketed as an aftershave/face tonic and from what I could tell, a lot of people like it. And when I opened it, the scent was subtle but nice. When I used it, there was no normal aftershave type tingle/burn and my face didn't really feel very toned afterward. It just seemed to be a flat aftershave and sub-par toner.

Any opinions on this that are different from mine? Did I possibly get a messed up bottle? If this is how it's supposed to be formulated and act, then what's the allure? Let me know why those of you who like it, do. Also, I wanted to ask your opinions on the Captain's Choice line. Does this give the same effects as Lucky tiger? Or is it more "invigorating"? If so, what scents would you suggest I use? I don't want excessive burn, but I do want to know when I've put it on.

I actually use Lucky Tiger after every shave regardless of what soap, A/S or cologne I'm using that day. It's alcohol & menthol free, so no burning or tingle expected. However, it does have aloe & chamomile to help soothe the skin. As for the toning part my face also feels a bit tighter as it dries but it's subtle which I prefer over some of the more overt toners. I find the scent to be fantastic and only lasts 5mins so it won't interfere with your a/s or cologne. Not sure if I answered ur question - wanted to offer my feedback. As for the Captain's Choice line - I've only used the bay rum & didn't like it but u know, YMMV!

I used Lucky Tiger until the bottle was half full then picked up some Thayer Lemon And some Rose. I like the smell of the Thayers Witch Hazel better but all three feel the same. Easy on the face and soothing to the skin. Use one of these after every shave. And as said above the scent dont last so whatever aftershave i use afterwards dont make for a confusing scent. I enjoy this type of post shave tonic and think ill always use them. A/S are no big deal for me. I just hope the wife likes the smell otherwise i dont really care much.

I tried Lucky Tiger and liked it a lot for the reasons MarsEnglish gave. My wife liked it too for use after removing makeup.

LT and Captain's Choice are apples and oranges. The CC line is all good-quality good. I have tried the Bay Rum (very nice), Lime (good product that to my nose wasn't limey), and North (smells like gin, in a good way).

If you want burn, the Cat o' Nine Tails apparently brings it and then some (I don't know firsthand).

I always use alum after shaving then apply an aftershave so the Lucky Tiger AS and Skin Tonic works just fine for me for the same reasons MarsEnglish posted. I view it as a combination aftershave and balm. I like their shave cream also. Both are different from the run of the mill but work well. You just can't beat the retro labelling too.

Bob

You can also try putting a splash of Lucky Tiger in your palm and then put a splash of Florida Water on top and rub the two together and apply, it's very pleasant and the two blend well and you get a slight astringnent feel due to the Florida Water.

A mix sounds like a good idea. Ill have to try that. Im not into pain so no alcohol based A/S for me. Not into the burn. Alum block give me a tingle. I use it before the L.T.

Three comments on Lucky Tiger:

1. LT has a very mild scent that does not last long. For me this is an advantage at work as we are supposed to be "scent free."

2. LT does not burn and is very soothing IMO, so an excellent choice if you have some skin irritation or have had a rough shave.

3. There is also the option of applying an EdC or stronger AS after using LT.

Last edited:
After reading These comments, I feel the need for some clarification...Is LT not supposed to be used in lieu of an a/s? I was under the impression that it acted as an a/s with come added component of soothing and toning. Should an a/s be employed before or after LT on a regular basis? or is that just preference?

After reading These comments, I feel the need for some clarification...Is LT not supposed to be used in lieu of an a/s? I was under the impression that it acted as an a/s with come added component of soothing and toning. Should an a/s be employed before or after LT on a regular basis? or is that just preference?

If you want toning use alum before the LT. If you want a stronger longer lasting scent use an Edt or cologne. Lt is an a/s but different/unique from the run of the mill after shaves.

Bob

It's not going to tone like an alcohol based AS, but will tone a little if left on the face to dry. I'm with some of the other posters that LT is great for irritation relief and if you don't lreact well to alcohol based AS. Related, Thayers witch hazel tones a bit better and is also not alcohol based.

Can I ask a stupid question? ("Yes," she says. "Better than anyone...")
Anyway...what is meant by "toning"?
BTW, I love LT... very soothing and healing. I use it after every shave, let it dry then apply my splash du jour.

Can I ask a stupid question? ("Yes," she says. "Better than anyone...")
Anyway...what is meant by "toning"?
BTW, I love LT... very soothing and healing. I use it after every shave, let it dry then apply my splash du jour.
To me, toning is when my skin feels tighter, which it definitely does when I use an alcohol based AS.

My wife woulf throw a fit if she found Aftershave in HER fridge. Bummer becaude that sounded like a good idea too.
:blush:
I could have swore my name is first on the house and isnt that my last name on both our names? Well i guess i still loose. Go figure.

Last edited:
I use LT in lieu of Witch Hazel. I follow LT with as AS balm. Some guys use LT as their only AS.
My routine after shave: Alum...LT...AS balm. Works for me. YMMV.

Top Bottom