What's new

Vintage Avon find

I have come across an impressive selection of these vintage bottles, including several boats, bears, baseball gloves and chess pieces. Today was the FIRST time I found one with after shave still in the bottle. I present to you gents, my Vintage Avon find today: "The Rook öland After Shave". Smells like stetson lol. A very sweet and manly scent. $5 $IMG_20160731_134011.jpg$IMG_20160731_133857.jpg

Nice find, Zig! The chess pieces are great, and Oland is one of my favorite scents.

I tried some today and it's pretty manly. Smells like Burt Reynolds. I like it but unfortunately it doesn't linger, presumably because of it's age? I don't know these things.

I might PIF this to my dad. I bet he'd love it! I know he wore similar stuff back in the 80s. I'll leave it in my bathroom so I can smell it a few more times before I tell him about it. Muahahaha

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It doesn't linger because it never did, in my opinion. On a side note, Oland is supposedly the only vintage Avon that can go bad, so I've been told to only buy it if you get to sniff it. So don't buy it on eBay. I've got a Bishop filled with Blend 7, which I'm addicted to, lol.
I tried some today and it's pretty manly. Smells like Burt Reynolds. I like it but unfortunately it doesn't linger, presumably because of it's age? I don't know these things.

FarmerTan

And PS: thanks for describing the scent. I've never heard a description, just warnings about it possibly turning foul for some reason.

On a side note, Oland is supposedly the only vintage Avon that can go bad

Where in the world did you hear this??

In hundreds of bottles that have passed through my hands, I've only come across two that were bad: Wild Country and Island Lime.

Any scent can go bad, if it is stored improperly.

In hundreds of bottles that have passed through my hands, I've only come across two that were bad: Wild Country and Island Lime.

I read the same thing somewhere, I believe it was on Basenotes, but not sure. I kind of wondered if it was true or not, I probably have 6 or 8 bottles of Oland and they all smell the same to my nose. I have close to 100 bottles total now and none of them are bad. I did get a big box of them that were stored in a musty basement, the boxes smelled moldy, but all the juice is still great.

I thought I would see if I have figured out how to post photos. Here is (hopefully!) some of my Avon collection.
proxy.php
It worked, nice collection!:thumbup1:

FarmerTan

Wierd. Like I said earlier, have never smelled it myself. Must have read it, not heard it, don't believe it was Basenote, tho.I think it was a B&B wannabe site in my lurking days!

Last edited by a moderator:

I think I've got a bad bottle of Tai Winds, either that or I just hate the scent.

I got my Tai Winds NOS, still wrapped in plastic even. I find it to be the exact opposite of most other aftershaves. From the bottle it smells terrific, splashing it on, a little less so, but still good. Ten minutes later I really don't care for the smell. Luckily, it hardly lasts a half hour like most splashes anyway.

picked up an empty candelstick decanter at a thrift shop. It had brocade cologne at one time, although not much smell of that left. I think it will be the new home of my Pinaud Classic Vanilla.

Top Bottom