What's new

Another new Razor from Above the Tie.

I received my test razor during the weekend/. I admit I’m spoiled by ATT’s past products, and I’ve come to expect great design and flawless execution. This did not disappoint. The razor is beautifully machined to exacting tolerance--reported to be less than a fraction of the width of a human hair.

Shave #1--I used a Feather Artist Club blade. I am generally not a fan of Feather blades and have had spotty success with them, but at the time of the initial test, it was the only SE blade I had in my den.

I performed a light one-pass shave because I was mindful of past negative experiences with the blade. I achieved a very smooth DFS. The shave was notable due to the total lack of irritation. It appears that I need to become more familiar with the balance of the razor, which needs attention when I shave under my chin. I found the shave to be one of the most comfortable I have ever experienced.

Shave #2--I used the same setup: Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, Muhle synthetic XL brus and Tabac aftershave. This time I shaved for closeness, using a two-pass approach with light touch up. I can relate that I received a fine BBS shave all over. What continues to surprise and delight me is the total lack of any irritation at all. This strikes me as one of the smoothest razors i have EVER used. I am still getting used to the balance of the razor, but feel I am making progress.

Jim, what other ATT razors do you use? Please compare those to your new SE. I have an ATT R1 and an S1 and have my pre-order in for the ATT SE Bamboo. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Jim, what other ATT razors do you use? Please compare those to your new SE. I have an ATT R1 and an S1 and have my pre-order in for the ATT SE Bamboo. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
I have a full 7-piece set that includes the H1, R1, M1 base plates. I also have an R2 OC plate in addition to a full set of ATT handles.

I have a wiry beard that isn't particularly dense, but required an aggressive razor. I would rate the Bamboo SE performance in the R1 to H1 range--with one important difference--there is no razor burn or irritation at all. This may be the smoothest razor I've ever used. I can't get over how effortlessly it removes whiskers with so little irritation.

I have a full 7-piece set that includes the H1, R1, M1 base plates. I also have an R2 OC plate in addition to a full set of ATT handles.

I have a wiry beard that isn't particularly dense, but required an aggressive razor. I would rate the Bamboo SE performance in the R1 to H1 range--with one important difference--there is no razor burn or irritation at all. This may be the smoothest razor I've ever used. I can't get over how effortlessly it removes whiskers with so little irritation.

Thank you Jim, appreciate your comments! I noticed that you do not have either of the ATT Slants. I have the S1 and it is my favorite ATT razor! You might want to try one of their slants!:thumbup1:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Shave Experience

To calibrate my shaving experience with the prototype ATT SE - I have been "back" wetshaving for almost 10 years, after spending years using cartridges. I have a fairly heavy beard that is relatively tough, and that grows in swirls in all directions. My skin isn't particularly sensitive. I shave most every day, using a variety of weapons from a Fatboy to a Micromatic OC to a Wolfman +.74, as well as a Schick Type M. I've used a Mongoose in rotation for a bit as well. I prefer the more aggressive razors with sharpest blades. My standard regimen is 4 full passes and a final cleanup and buffing that will get me pretty close to bbs.

I have used the ATT twice at this writing, loaded up with a fresh Feather Super Professional blade using my normal prep. The inaugural shave was spent trying to figure out the best angle and getting comfortable with the long slim handle of the ATT. The angle isn't intuitive for me, though I'm sure it will become so over time. The handle is simply longer than I am used to and prefer, but other than being a bit awkward (I grip a safety razor near the neck) it worked fine, though the finger grooves are a trifle small for my fingers.

This is not a particularly aggressive razor, in fact my example is quite mild. The end result after two outings was a smooth shave in 4 & 1/2 passes, and the alum bar failed to produce much evidence of irritation. One observation after the shave - the ATT holds the blade very tightly, so much so that it tends to stick when trying to remove it for rinsing (it is almost an interference fit on the locating posts). A little divot machined behind the center of the blade would allow a fingernail to safely pry it loose.

I'll be using it more during the coming week to see how well it grows on me.

I've got an ATT SE on order. As far as SEs go, I own both the Cobra Classic and the Mongoose. The Cobra Classic is the one to beat IMO. Its efficiency and smoothness makes it the king of the 1 pass shave. I rate it in my top 5 of all razors I own. So for me the comparison is between the ATT SE and Cobra

[MENTION=16370]garyg[/MENTION] isn't the Super Professional blades the slightly taller ones? If you are finding those somewhat mild The standard blade may be too mild.

I've got an ATT SE on order. As far as SEs go, I own both the Cobra Classic and the Mongoose. The Cobra Classic is the one to beat IMO. Its efficiency and smoothness makes it the king of the 1 pass shave. I rate it in my top 5 of all razors I own. So for me the comparison is between the ATT SE and Cobra

This is what I wanted to know, how it compares to the other SE offerings. I volunteered to test it but was not chosen. I've tried the Cobra Classic, King Cobra and Mongoose. For me the King Cobra is the one to beat as it's a little smoother than the Cobra but still extremely efficient. However I do know some people the prefer the Cobra over the King. The Mongoose is nice but way too mild and not nearly as efficient for me, still a nice razor though.

Unfortunately it'll be a while before you get your razor to compare it.

Shave #3--Today's shave was done on-the-run, with little preparation. I made only one pass, as I was running to a doctor's appointment. I received a DFS-quality shave, again with no detectable irritation. I rate the aggressiveness of the razor as fairly high because it is so effective mowing down my beard--which only responds to very aggressive razors. Not only does this razor respond, it does it smoothly and effortlessly. The Feather blade is an excellent pairing with this razor, IMO, and it seems to have a long life span.

Like the head design but not the handle at all. Have owned at one time or another bamboo\wave style handles from iKon, Hempel, Weber and did not like the feel in my hands at all. Hopefully down the road they will offer different handle options.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
@garyg isn't the Super Professional blades the slightly taller ones? If you are finding those somewhat mild The standard blade may be too mild.

Yes, I've tried the other Feather AC blades and in the SS style razor found those to be less efficient than the Super Pro's are. I have found the Super Pro to give me a good shave in my Mongoose as well. When I had a Cobra some time back all I used were the Supers.

Thread link isn't working. Was it deleted?

I can only assume that it was deleted or it is locked by a moderator. It's a shame though as that thread had some really great and informational reviews. In that regard it was much better than this one.

As to the reasoning, I don't know why. I could guess (totally a complete guess with no knowledge of what actually occurred) that it could be because they are rating products that were a gift from the manufacturer. They tend not to like that kind of thing here as they want to insure that the reviews are completely impartial. I did think that since Stan is a registered vendor here that it might be permitted but maybe not so much.

As far as any kind of agreement between Stan and the test users go, I'd say that's totally impossible as he's a stand up guy with an excellent reputation. The great reviews ATT products get are the result of them being absolutely outstanding in terms of manufacturing and design.

Would a free product sway someone to not say something negative, I suppose it could which is why the moderators don't hesitate to lock something that could be questionable.

My personal take on it (I don't make the rules nor do I have any weight or influence whatsoever) is that if you're gifted a product from a vendor then you should still be allowed to review it, as long as it's stated in your review that it was provided free of charge in exchange for an evaluation. Readers can then make their own determination keeping this in mind.

I'd hate to see vendors stop doing things like this as it benefits the users on the forum and helps to get the word out on new products in a more timely manner.

Another solution for vendors might be to do what Joe at Razorock has done in the past and sold the first batch as test units at a substantially lower price on a first come first serve basis. It gets some products out there and generates some interest which leads to reviews and forum comments. I suspect this would be more acceptable, since this way they are actually buying the products and reviewers aren't hand picked.

Again, this is a total guess on my part as I have no actual information as to why it's no longer there.

Got a clarification from one of the stewards. The ban on discussing kickstarter or other crowd funding projects has been expanded to include items that have not been released yet. The discussion remains here because it is on a vendor site and not the general forum. In a sense, I can understand where talking on a pre release product does not serve the general good as the product can change prior to actual release, and it also blurs the line between providing information and solicitation.

I can only assume that it was deleted or it is locked by a moderator. It's a shame though as that thread had some really great and informational reviews. In that regard it was much better than this one.

As to the reasoning, I don't know why. I could guess (totally a complete guess with no knowledge of what actually occurred) that it could be because they are rating products that were a gift from the manufacturer. They tend not to like that kind of thing here as they want to insure that the reviews are completely impartial. I did think that since Stan is a registered vendor here that it might be permitted but maybe not so much.

As far as any kind of agreement between Stan and the test users go, I'd say that's totally impossible as he's a stand up guy with an excellent reputation. The great reviews ATT products get are the result of them being absolutely outstanding in terms of manufacturing and design.

Would a free product sway someone to not say something negative, I suppose it could which is why the moderators don't hesitate to lock something that could be questionable.

My personal take on it (I don't make the rules nor do I have any weight or influence whatsoever) is that if you're gifted a product from a vendor then you should still be allowed to review it, as long as it's stated in your review that it was provided free of charge in exchange for an evaluation. Readers can then make their own determination keeping this in mind.

I'd hate to see vendors stop doing things like this as it benefits the users on the forum and helps to get the word out on new products in a more timely manner.

Another solution for vendors might be to do what Joe at Razorock has done in the past and sold the first batch as test units at a substantially lower price on a first come first serve basis. It gets some products out there and generates some interest which leads to reviews and forum comments. I suspect this would be more acceptable, since this way they are actually buying the products and reviewers aren't hand picked.

Again, this is a total guess on my part as I have no actual information as to why it's no longer there.

Hello,
Just for the record, testers were sent a prototype razor. Given permission to use it and comment as they see fit. Afterwards they return the test razor. A tester can choose to purchase a razor at the same retail price as everyone else. No razors are allowed to kept for free.
I wanted to make that perfectly clear.
Stan

Got a clarification from one of the stewards. The ban on discussing kickstarter or other crowd funding projects has been expanded to include items that have not been released yet. The discussion remains here because it is on a vendor site and not the general forum. In a sense, I can understand where talking on a pre release product does not serve the general good as the product can change prior to actual release, and it also blurs the line between providing information and solicitation.
I had a feeling that was the reason. It would have been great if the thread was transferred to ATT's vendor forum instead of being deleted.

Hello,
Just for the record, testers were sent a prototype razor. Given permission to use it and comment as they see fit. Afterwards they return the test razor. A tester can choose to purchase a razor at the same retail price as everyone else. No razors are allowed to kept for free.
I wanted to make that perfectly clear.
Stan

Stan, thanks for the clarification. I see nothing wrong with it even if they were gifted or sold at a reduced price. They are your products to do with as you please. I think the quality of the products you sell is outstanding and I suspect the prototypes were excellent or they wouldn't be allowed to leave your sight.

What? So a person can post here but not on another forum? I am not quite sure what the mods admins are thinking, but to me this makes no sense. Can a Mod or admin explain this please?

Another update.

We will be receiving an allotment today which make it possible to process the first lot of razors this evening. The Bamboo SE1 will start shipping tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Shipments to individual customers will be processed in the order of their purchase. I appreciate everyone's patience.

Once the decision was made produce this razor the path to production was quick. We were able to move from my drawing on a note pad to a deliverable product in a very short time. We take great pride in that.
I personally want to thank the various testers for their time and input. They receive no compensation for their time (No they do not receive free razors etc.) but their opinions are very important to the product you will see now and products you will see in the future.

We will start a full integration of the Bamboo SE1 razor into our complete product line very soon. This will allow you to chose an Atlas SE1 or a Bamboo H2 or any other configuration just like our other razors.

Now, on to the next thing...

Stan

Top Bottom