What's new

Anyone find Proraso overrated?

I think this thread has come full circle. The never ending battle between Ford, Chevy and Dodge will always continue. The never ending battle between Bud light vs. Coors light is the same. Either Proraso works wonders for you or it doesn't. The beautiful thing is that we all have our favorites with what works for "us."

...that being said, anyone that thinks Proraso doesn't pass the "bar," is mistaken. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Exactly. For $10, it's overpriced. For $2 (price in Italy) it's a good deal and the right price.

Given $10 is not the cheapest out there but it is at the same price point for few mainstream creams. There is plenty of creams that are way more expensive.

There will always be creams that some love and other just don't. I just like to focus on what is good and move on from what did not hit the spot.
Lucky for us there is plenty to pick from.

Last edited:
The blue cream is actually pretty darn good (same as the English creams).

The rest of the products are solid performers, but not stellar. I like the scent enough to use them often.
Proraso is popular because it is a good deal for the price.

Overrated? No one gives them stellar reviews as far as I know.
They are better though IMO than LPL, MDC and MWF. Now those *are* overrated products.

Didn't Proraso receive a downgrade at some point when Santa Maria Novella was being reformulated into V2?
Not to my knowledge. What I understand is that SMN used Martelli for V1 abd it was basically Proraso with lanolin and an alternative scent. V2 and V3 are in-house productions for SMN but that didn't affect the Proraso line.

Not to my knowledge. What I understand is that SMN used Martelli for V1 abd it was basically Proraso with lanolin and an alternative scent. V2 and V3 are in-house productions for SMN but that didn't affect the Proraso line.
Ah my bad. I remembered it incorrectly. From what I remember reading, Proraso once contained a similar formula (which correlates with what you just wrote), and once SMN came out, some started to ask what was up with the formulas being almost exact, and eventually SMN made the change to V2. Not sure if that's 100% accurate, but I remember some people being mad about paying (I think about $40?) for SMN when Proraso was so similar.

Ah my bad. I remembered it incorrectly. From what I remember reading, Proraso once contained a similar formula (which correlates with what you just wrote), and once SMN came out, some started to ask what was up with the formulas being almost exact, and eventually SMN made the change to V2. Not sure if that's 100% accurate, but I remember some people being mad about paying (I think about $40?) for SMN when Proraso was so similar.
That's probably why SMN decided to go in-house. I saw one post mentioning that Proraso once had lanolin in it but that would have been prior to SMN V1 and lanolin only really affects post shave face feel as far as I know. Lanolin is a wax and not a fat and it won't add to glide or cushion IME.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Honestly, I prefer Godrej red. Proraso is okay but it is definitely not my go-to. There is a half tube in my shower that gets used maybe once a month.

Good and (at the equivalent of less than $2.20) economical, but certainly not the best.

If someone were to put it in a different packaging and tell me that it costs significantly more (as has been suggested) I would still say the same.

And if someone wants to claim that Proraso is the best product he's ever tried I can only say: " Keep searching."

B.

For those of you who say that Proraso is overpriced, what shaving cream out there is better than Proraso and costs $10.00 or less? Is it a little better or a lot better?

That's probably why SMN decided to go in-house. I saw one post mentioning that Proraso once had lanolin in it but that would have been prior to SMN V1 and lanolin only really affects post shave face feel as far as I know. Lanolin is a wax and not a fat and it won't add to glide or cushion IME.

Yup! I remember that being another thing that was said, where people speculated whether the removal of lanolin was to make SMN more attractive haha :p I wouldn't doubt it, but it was still funny to me.

Yup! I remember that being another thing that was said, where people speculated whether the removal of lanolin was to make SMN more attractive haha :p I wouldn't doubt it, but it was still funny to me.

I don't know if they did that for SMN or not since Proraso with Lanolin still isn't worth 6+ times the price of Proraso Green.:blink: I just got a jar of the V3 and can't wait to try it out!

I really like the scent of the Proraso Green but it seriously lacks slickness. Also it leaves the white residue on my razor, brush, mug and sink. Add some ingredients that aren't really good and you get a soap that only gets a use once in a while.

I don't know if they did that for SMN or not since Proraso with Lanolin still isn't worth 6+ times the price of Proraso Green.:blink: I just got a jar of the V3 and can't wait to try that!

>since Proraso with Lanolin still isn't worth 6+ times the price of Proraso Green.

And that's what all the buzz was about heh. That's the reason for all the speculating and questions people asked way back. People were wondering if there was more to it. It's always entertaining to me personally to go back and read some of this stuff. I also learn a bit of history on the soap. Also, now I know a bunch of semi-useless information I can only use with fellow wetshavers lol

I really like the scent of the Proraso Green but it seriously lacks slickness. Also it leaves the white residue on my razor, brush, mug and sink. Add some ingredients that aren't really good and you get a soap that only gets a use once in a while.

Is your water hard? I've never had issues with slickness but it isn't the most cushioning lather. If you water is hard it might be the issue for slickness along with other croaps and creams. I find traditional hard soaps performed better when I was using hard water because of the chelating agents.

>since Proraso with Lanolin still isn't worth 6+ times the price of Proraso Green.

And that's what all the buzz was about heh. That's the reason for all the speculating and questions people asked way back. People were wondering if there was more to it. It's always entertaining to me personally to go back and read some of this stuff. I also learn a bit of history on the soap. Also, now I know a bunch of semi-useless information I can only use with fellow wetshavers lol

No kidding! I can't even explain to people why I have so many soaps and creams! :blush::lol:

It's expensive in the UK. TOBS works out only a couple of pounds more expensive here, and the quality is (mostly) night and day. I don't think Proraso soaps & cremes are much cop, but their alcohol free aftershave balm is fantastic, at a reasonable price.

It's expensive in the UK. TOBS works out only a couple of pounds more expensive here, and the quality is (mostly) night and day. I don't think Proraso soaps & cremes are much cop, but their alcohol free aftershave balm is fantastic, at a reasonable price.

I'm on the other side of the pound so could you explain what "cop" means used in this way? Thanks!

Top Bottom