What's new

Tobacquisitions April 2016

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
You ought to be able to tell for sure when you disassemble it.

It's a Meer. And, I'm roughly 95.6832% sure that it's a Strambach. It has built-up cake in the chamber which has been incredibly stubborn when I've been attempting to clean it. I've been trying to be very delicate with the cleaning process, because everything that I've read or heard about Meers. is that they don't ghost, look awesome with the proper patina, and are fairly fragile. The outside of the shank has some scratches and scrapes, but nothing too bad (although I have tendencies to be a utilitarian). Even with some cleanup, $12 for my first Meer, I consider it a good buy.

It's a Meer. And, I'm roughly 95.6832% sure that it's a Strambach. It has built-up cake in the chamber which has been incredibly stubborn when I've been attempting to clean it. I've been trying to be very delicate with the cleaning process, because everything that I've read or heard about Meers. is that they don't ghost, look awesome with the proper patina, and are fairly fragile. The outside of the shank has some scratches and scrapes, but nothing too bad (although I have tendencies to be a utilitarian). Even with some cleanup, $12 for my first Meer, I consider it a good buy.

That is a good buy. In fact the whole lot is a great buy. Well done. It pays to keep your eyes open at the antique shops.

12 bucks? That's not a "good buy", that's a steal. You have the right idea regarding cleanup - careful, careful, careful. I like to use sandpaper instead of a reamer on my meers. Should work for the buildup on the rim as well. A quick beeswax bath and she should be good as new.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
12 bucks? That's not a "good buy", that's a steal. You have the right idea regarding cleanup - careful, careful, careful. I like to use sandpaper instead of a reamer on my meers. Should work for the buildup on the rim as well. A quick beeswax bath and she should be good as new.

I couldn't believe that I scored a Savinelli for $12 as well.

That sounds a lot more effective than what I've been doing. I've just been dipping a rag in Everclear and rubbing away. I've actually made some noticeable progress, although it's been very slow going progress. I was afraid to use anything too abrasive. Do you use a specific grit progression?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you see another one like that in the same price range I will buy it from you, if you are interested.

I couldn't believe that I scored a Savinelli for $12 as well.

That sounds a lot more effective than what I've been doing. I've just been dipping a rag in Everclear and rubbing away. I've actually made some noticeable progress, although it's been very slow going progress. I was afraid to use anything too abrasive. Do you use a specific grit progression?
NOOOO!!

It's not recommended to use everclear on meerschaum - it makes the mineral more brittle and subject to cracking.

I use 150 grit sandpaper wrapped around a finger or a dowel on the inside of the bowl. You can probably use it on the rim as well if you're careful, then just wax it.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
On a meer, I might use some pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol to clean out the shank if it's really nasty. But I would make sure the cleaners aren't dripping--merely dampened. And be careful not to use too many bristle cleaners at that stage, as they can scrape away meer.

For the cake, go slow and use high grit sandpaper lightly. Wrap it around your finger or a wooden dowel like Price mentioned. For anything on the outside of the pipe, including the rim, I would use 0000 steel wool, but you will need to rewax afterward. When waxing, use cosmetic grade bees wax. I prefer white, some people use yellow as it gives a bit of color to the pipe. And be very careful not to get any wax inside the pipe. A cork shaved into the appropriate shape to be a stopper in the bowl will help keep any wax out of the bowl. And after you wax it, I recommend handling the pipe with a clean handkerchief for the first 10 or so smokes until the wax settles in to the pipe. When it's freshly waxed, the wax can pick up oils from your hands and leave fingerprints (or "sings" as they're known on meerschaum pipes).

I use a q-tip dipped in Everclear to "deep clean" the bowls of my meers every so often (anywhere between 5-10 bowls depending on how much stank accumulates). It's just enough to get it damp, you do not want alcohol dripping all over the place. Also, only inside the bowl and shank.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for the info, guys!

NOOOO!!

It's not recommended to use everclear on meerschaum - it makes the mineral more brittle and subject to cracking.

I use 150 grit sandpaper wrapped around a finger or a dowel on the inside of the bowl. You can probably use it on the rim as well if you're careful, then just wax it.

:facep: Oops. I know that dousing or soaking a Meer. in alcohol is not good, but I could have sworn I read that everclear on a rag was fine. I guess that's what I get for getting too eager to use the darn thing! I'll go the sandpaper route if I have some time to work on it tonight. Thanks, Price!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
On a meer, I might use some pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol to clean out the shank if it's really nasty. But I would make sure the cleaners aren't dripping--merely dampened. And be careful not to use too many bristle cleaners at that stage, as they can scrape away meer.

For the cake, go slow and use high grit sandpaper lightly. Wrap it around your finger or a wooden dowel like Price mentioned. For anything on the outside of the pipe, including the rim, I would use 0000 steel wool, but you will need to rewax afterward. When waxing, use cosmetic grade bees wax. I prefer white, some people use yellow as it gives a bit of color to the pipe. And be very careful not to get any wax inside the pipe. A cork shaved into the appropriate shape to be a stopper in the bowl will help keep any wax out of the bowl. And after you wax it, I recommend handling the pipe with a clean handkerchief for the first 10 or so smokes until the wax settles in to the pipe. When it's freshly waxed, the wax can pick up oils from your hands and leave fingerprints (or "sings" as they're known on meerschaum pipes).

Great to know. Thanks, Micah!

Thanks for the info, guys!

:facep: Oops. I know that dousing or soaking a Meer. in alcohol is not good, but I could have sworn I read that everclear on a rag was fine. I guess that's what I get for getting too eager to use the darn thing! I'll go the sandpaper route if I have some time to work on it tonight. Thanks, Price!
I don't have any first hand evidence to support that - it's just what I've always been told, by the learned masters at whose knee I learned this little hobby. You can use alcohol to clean the shank - there is likely a silicon/plastic sheath in the mortise; anywhere else, I'd caution against it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I had some eBay bucks that I had to spend by the end of April. This Tinsky happened.

$uploadfromtaptalk1462480983231.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1462480994085.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1462481007857.jpg

Top Bottom