What's new

Do not understand the pride associated with using a blade 5+ times

I have been using a double edge razor for a couple of years now. While I started using a DE razor when I was about 13 or so; they were mostly replaced by cartridges in the mid to late-1970s.

I don't understand why some guys think using the same blade for a week or two is great. I just don't get it.

The reason I HATED using cartridges was because I felt like the blades were usually dull.

Now that I am using double edge blades that often cost fifteen cents or less; I usually use a blade 2 or 3 times (maybe 4 tops), then switch to a new blade.

Using a blade that is starting to tug and drag makes no sense to me and brings back the horrors of using a dull cartridge.

Dunno about pride but if you can get a week or two instead of a day or two of good shaves from a blade, yay you saved some cash. If not it's no big deal, discover what makes you happy, do it.

I think it's more of a gloatig in your face expensive multi-blade cartridge companies I got two weeks worth of saves for fifthteen cents verses $5, than pride.
I could be wrong, but that's just my fifteen cents.

I run it till it tugs, then out it goes. Sometimes it is after one shave, normally after 3-4, sometimes a week or better. Every once in a while I get a magic blade that does not want to go dull.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Some people are cheap . . . er, frugal. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to waste money. But you're suggesting that people are using the blade beyond it's useful life (tugging and dragging) and I don't think there are a lot of shavers doing that.

It's possible some people have softer, thinner beards that don't wear blades out as quickly. Personally, I use blades that are potentially good for 7 shaves, but I change them after 4 or 5 - safer that way.

I have been using a double edge razor for a couple of years now. While I started using a DE razor when I was about 13 or so; they were mostly replaced by cartridges in the mid to late-1970s.

I don't understand why some guys think using the same blade for a week or two is great. I just don't get it.

The reason I HATED using cartridges was because I felt like the blades were usually dull.

Now that I am using double edge blades that often cost fifteen cents or less; I usually use a blade 2 or 3 times (maybe 4 tops), then switch to a new blade.

Using a blade that is starting to tug and drag makes no sense to me and brings back the horrors of using a dull cartridge.

As many guys from the Excallibur club, I enjoy using a blade for its fullest. Usually I get 20-30 shaves out of regular blade with my best record of 91 shave per one blade.

"Some guys think using the same blade for a week is great" - that is because the better your shaving technique is, the longer your blade stays sharp and smooth, the more you you get from a shave, i.e. the more perfect/pleasant shave you have. We just enjoy our perfect shaves, that's it. And number of shaves per blade is just a metric. I don't think anybody cares a lot about the money - no big difference really whether you use a blade for 5 shaves or 50... And, btw, I think (and I am not alone) a blade is getting better after some 10-15 shaves on it.

The tiniest little sign of a blade being done and in the bin it goes. Today marks 22 comfortable shaves on a Gillette Nacet. Nothing to do with pride, just seeing how far I can really go. What's the harm in using something whilst it's still good? Do you throw your bread out six days before it's best buy?

Welcome to B&B. It's a contest for some along the lines of who can drive a gof ball the furthest, run the longest distance, left the most weight, etc

Top Bottom