What's new

You get ONE artisan line and ONE factory line for the rest of your life.

Artisan: Can't decide. Love B&M, MW, CRSW, Country Club for Men, and others. Just ordered the new Oliva soap from CRSW. I'm pretty much hooked on artisan soaps.

Factory: Hardly ever use, but if I had to choose one, it would be Czech and Speake all day long.

Often enough, the dividing line is fuzzy, especially when it comes to soaps. It seems to me, easier to recognize/classify something (as artisanal,) when dealing with, for example, gourmet goods - although the divider in that realm is not completely sharp either.

In any case, per dictionary.com, the term artisan also relates to "a person or company that makes a high-quality or distinctive product in small quantities, usually by hand or using traditional methods."

Personally, I view (for example) Klar as artisanal: a soap made by a fifth-generation family business, made in considerably small quantities where (per Klar) "the preservation of traditional recipes, traditional procedures and manual work is just as important as continuous innovation..."

Classifying, for example, SMN, on the other hand, seems somewhat more difficult, from my perspective.

In the final analysis, classification takes a back seat to appreciation of a product, IMO.

My .02.

This is a nice explanation. I'm trying to enjoy both, and I'm working on obtaining more of the classics to have a nice mix between mass market and artisans. Although I love the dynamic nature of the artisan market, sometimes with formulas changing, scents coming and going, disappointment can occur. With the classics most of the time, they keep the same scents, formulas, etc. and I like that I can count on them. Off-topic but just something noteworthy to me anyway.

I am surprised that with the 91st response to this I am the first to say Catie's Bubbles for my artisan.

Factory: Cella

Artisan: tough choice-I want to say Mike's, although it's been a while since I've used it.
Factory: I haven't used that many, but probably Tabac.

Artisan, easy, Cold River Soap Works.

Factory, not so easy and if I am honest I just wouldn't have one as in my opinion none of them even come close to artisan products. If I had to choose I would probably go with TOBS just for the scents.

Currently doing my 'one year, one brand' with Haslinger's. I may be able to get by with this one.

No need for an 'artisan' yet!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom