What's new

How do you shave when you are running LATE?

Its inevitable, somehow time gets away from us and you have to improvise. What's your rushed shave to get half way presentable and out the door? Do you just skip the shave and go scruffy because of wet shave loyalty, or do you revert back to a quick fix of old (like a cartridge)
I have a WAHL Electric shaver that I break out if I have to rush. It gets about as close as a 1 pass shave, but I can be done within two minutes or less. I shave my head, so if I am late, well I just have to be a little fuzzy that day. If I let my head go for more than two days, I also use the electric to get my hair down closer then use my DE to get Smooth.

Attachments

• $untitled (4).png
    $untitled (4).png
    67.2 KB · Views: 278
If I have to shave I shave. It's not a question of loyalty but I can shower, shave, dress and be gone in less than 15 minutes and traffic being what it is I am either late or not. Some folks drag shaving out for an hour but all you really need is a couple minutes. First a damp face, lathering takes 30-60 seconds. Plus a minute per pass and dry. Splash some AS and beat feet. I would rather go scruffy than use an electric though i often use a cart if I travel by air.

If late I will bypass my straight shave and go with a quick DE shave. Two passes, atg, xtg. If I am really late I will use the DE in the shower with a quick ATG one pass shave.

Since I'm still new to DE shaving I still have my cartidge stuff. Which I intend to do this afternoon since I have a tight schedule. I'm going to lather and post shave the same, but I'm quicker and more comfortable with the cartridge. Once I have my technique down I plan on keeping a few bars of some quality soap and washing my face thuroughly to simulate a shower, all the while my brush and soap are prepping then just trying to get through the shave as quick as possible. If the stubble isn't too bad I just leave it, better to look like an intentional mess then try to look poorly cleaned up.

When I'm rushed, I do a WTG-only pass with Derby or Proraso creme. Only takes a couple of minutes.

For a bit this summer - was using the Barbasol canned foam with a DE of choice for 2 quick passes when running late. Not bad, but not as satisfying as using a brush and some soap.

I am never late for work. My work day may start a little later, but I am never late. :lol: Anyway, I really try to do my usual prep and shave the same way if possible. It's more of a way of meditation for me than it is a matter of hygiene. IF...I must shorten my routine, then first I will try to do a two pass...WTG and ATG. If I think that won't work, then I just won't shave. I still look damn hunky with some stubble. :001_cool:

If I have to shave I shave. It's not a question of loyalty but I can shower, shave, dress and be gone in less than 15 minutes and traffic being what it is I am either late or not. Some folks drag shaving out for an hour but all you really need is a couple minutes. First a damp face, lathering takes 30-60 seconds. Plus a minute per pass and dry. Splash some AS and beat feet. I would rather go scruffy than use an electric though i often use a cart if I travel by air.

Thats good to know, that right there is my goal to get my system down to 1 min per pass[emoji106]

It depends on what I'm late for. I keep a Braun electric in my desk at work for things like that. If it's something else, one pass with Fusion and a non-lathering cream that's easy to rinse off does the job.

One pass WTG with touch ups. When I first started wet shaving, I would go back to a cartridge in the shower if I was running late. But a single pass WTG gives just as good a result and my face feels so much better than after a cartridge. I'll also palm/face lather instead of lathering in a bowl to help cut down on time even more. It's not quite a comfortable than when I take the time to do it right, but it's still better than a cartridge.

On really busy weeks, I'll just shave on Mon, Wed, and Fridays (and then the weekends). I have to do a three pass shave those days, but if I do it right, the growth on Tues and Thurs is so light I can get away with it. Not an option for everyone, but it works well for me.

Nivea "New Formula" Shaving Gel (German but canned in Taiwan of all things). It is absolutely amazing for a gel, and scent free.

I will usually depending on how much time I have use a brushless cream and do a one pass wtg with DE. Or on occasion I have used a shave stick and face lathered. Or if it's really tight I skip the shave

If I'm that pressed for time, I'll just skip the shave entirely.
But there are sometimes when I MUST shave, like getting ready to go out on the town.

Some tricks I've learned are to skip the brush and just lather by hand. Also, I can get by with 1xWTG pass, or 2xWTG and skip the touch-ups. I'll also splash on some generic WH for aftershave, which I always keep on the counter, instead of digging out one of my expensive ASLs from from where I keep it boxed up in the drawer in the bedroom.

Also, I will skip cleaning up the sink.

With these little tricks, and pushing it a little, I can be in and out in 2~3 minutes.

Last edited:
Electric for me. I hate not shaving at all for work & my Panasonic gives a really good shave, quickly. I'm lucky in that I can get a very good quick shave with electric, no irritation. I only changed to DE shaving a couple of years ago to try something new, and discovered how much I liked it. I never use the electric by choice now, unless time is seriously short.

depends on how late. for instance this morning I was about 15 minutes behind schedule. I just shaved quicker and didn't fret over touch ups or missed spots. Any further behind I would have used my shick hydro cartridge.

Face lathering with proraso cuts my shaving routine by 2-3 minutes. I don't worry about touch ups and I stick with 2 pass (wtg + atg). Straight cold water helps me move things along faster too. Cuts my shaving routine to ~6-7 minutes instead of the usually 10-12 minute routine.

Top Bottom