What's new

What's Cooking, 2015

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I arrived home to find the wife left me some potatoes and my cast iron pan not cleaned. :mad3:
Then I looked closer at the pan and could see garlic and a very tasty moist fond from the lamb she cooked.
No way was I going to clean it before I cooked my meat, so gently heated the pan. Some salt & pepper on my lamb and browned the racks in the mystery flavour. Finished them off in the oven.....................wow these were great.

This taste better than it looks. Lamb Shoulder Racks in a mystery seasoning. :thumbup:

$20151019_173840.jpg

Last edited:
$1610873_10154299043513275_6872162110549245736_n.jpg

I took some Wagyu beef chunks and marinaded them for about 6 hours in a bottle of Bordeaux, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, a bay leaf and a few peppercorns. I also chucked in a little salt and sugar.

I had some beef bones in the freezer so I made a stock and then reduced it down so I had about a half pint of beefy goodness.

At the end of the marinade session, I then drained off the liquid into another bowl, and separated the meat fom the veggies. I dried the meat off and sprinkled it with cornflour, and dried off the veggies as well.

Heated up a stockpot and put in a decent slug of oil and enough butter to make my cardiologist blanch and fried off the meat. THis took a while, as I wanted to ensure a good crust on the meat. Then set aside and let the pan cool down before adding the veggies. I sweated these down for a while, and then put the meat and juices back, along with the wine and stock.

Bring up to a low boil and simmer for as long as you can, but here it was about three hours. Added a bay leaf and some fresh rosemary, check seasoning, stirred in some cold butter just to REALLY annoy my heart guy and got stuck in with another bottle of Bordeaux.

I mashed up some parsnips with more butter, cream, white pepper, salt and nutmeg to go with it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No pics, but my sister and I decided to make the perfect fast food burrito. A few months ago we talking about it and determined that the perfect fast food burrito would have Taco Bueno refried beans, Rosa's tortillas, and Taco Casa cheese. On Sunday, we made it happen.

We've dozens of backyard tomatoes scattered and ripening around the kitchen, what to do?

Cool weather classic at least up here, Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese.

My wife's soup... Tomatoes, peppers and onions were grilled and charred on the bbq prior to incorporating into the broth.

Fresh cheese tortellini's added to soup and finished with a dollop of Greek yogurt and the last leaves i could scrounge from the backyard Genovese Basil plants.

Grilled Cheese; Sourdough bread, Old English Cheddar, Parmesan Reggiano and cancer causing Canadian Bacon

proxy.php

dave

We've dozens of backyard tomatoes scattered and ripening around the kitchen, what to do?

Cool weather classic at least up here, Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese.

My wife's soup... Tomatoes, peppers and onions were grilled and charred on the bbq prior to incorporating into the broth.

Fresh cheese tortellini's added to soup and finished with a dollop of Greek yogurt and the last leaves i could scrounge from the backyard Genovese Basil plants.

Grilled Cheese; Sourdough bread, Old English Cheddar, Parmesan Reggiano and cancer causing Canadian Bacon

proxy.php

dave
That's my kind of meal. Looks amazing.

Those cakes look fantastic! Memories, haven't had one since i was a kid and my mom used to make them once in a while.
dave

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Those cakes look fantastic! Memories, haven't had one since i was a kid and my mom used to make them once in a while.
dave

Yah, they taste fantastic too! :w00t:

I recently had an epiphany.... If I divided some of my favorite desserts into individual servings and froze them, I could go back to making some of the things I hadn't made in years because there's just the two of us now.

The Upside Down Cakes work really well baked in the silicone baking cups because after you thaw them, you can microwave them for a few seconds before you flip them out to warm up the caramelly goodness.

Top Bottom