What's new

OCtober 2015

OCtober 5:

Maggard MR6 OC
Astra SP (0)
Proraso White
Thayer's WH
Lucky Tiger AF face Tonic

I love the mildness of the Maggard OC heads. I also love the scent of the Proraso White soap. But, I have found that Proraso White and Red do not provide good protection. I always end up with neck irritation. Of the Proraso line, I find the Blue is the nicest for my skin.

This mornings shave. Feeling smooth, smelling great.

proxy.php

As of post #258, 3rd of October this is the razors and number (assuming nothing's wrong with it...) of times used by the honourable members.

OT, 25
NEW 22
ATT, 11
Gillette 1930s, 7
Parker, 5
GEM, 4
Fassan, 3
Goodwill, 2
Mühle, 2
NEW Improved, 1
Phoenix Artisan, 1
Bohin, 1
Radimi, 1
Ever Ready, 1

Gillettes are in the lead, as expected, and among them, the OTs!!

Very interesting, gents!

October 5:
Above The Tie - H2 / UFO - TiTAN Fine L / Astra SP (5)
Wolf Whiskers / TGN - HMW
Tabac - shaving soap
Fine - Platinum / L'Occitane - Cade AS balm

OCtober 5
Gillette Goodwill / Voskhod (2)
Pacific Shave Caffeinated Cream
Rubberset Vintage reknotted silvertip
NGT grapefruit and cedarwood ASB
Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

proxy.php

After SEptember I thought I would be missing my SE razors, but my shaves are continuing to be great. I get very few sub part shaves these days. Have a great Monday.

Oct. 4 - shave #2

Gillette Old Type
Astra SP blade
Boar Brush

Good shave last night. Was trying to be more careful as this is still only shave 2 with a DE razor. First shave left a bit of irritation on the neck as I think I went to steep an angle. Really focused on the pressure and angle. Worked on feeling the blade. Sides of my face are good but neck is a little patchy. Did not force it on the neck as I want the irritation to heal before I give it a real big go.

Quick question: What is the most efficient method of cleaning the comb between shaves if you are using the blade again?

Razor: 20's Old Type
Blade: 7oC SharpEdge (1), no shim

Two differences from the past 3 shaves: 1) I've moved on to the next blade in the sampler (7oC SharpEdge) and 2) I've ditched the shim.

This is the shave I remember this razor as being capable of- close, comfortable with minimal irritation. Clearly, while others feel it is necessary to shim their Old Types, something in my technique, face or specific razor does not do as well with the additional blade gap.

Anybody care to help me interpret what that means?

JR

Hi,

I think it means YMMV. For me, the OT shave is quite a bit harsher without the shim.

The next question would be: Is yours a Thick Cap OT? Mine is a Thin Cap. There is a subtle difference, which could have something to do with it.

I also spot a blade difference. I use US Personna blades (med prep and lab blue).

Stan

Hi,

I think it means YMMV. For me, the OT shave is quite a bit harsher without the shim.

The next question would be: Is yours a Thick Cap OT? Mine is a Thin Cap. There is a subtle difference, which could have something to do with it.

Good point... mine is a thick cap.

this morning was my Parker 26c using my Beau Brummel Black Badger Brush (I love the alliteration more than the brush) and Ballenclaugh Woodsman soap (outstanding shave soap).

Started testing a 7 o'clock yellow in my new 26c this morning. Did the job but not as comfortable as the blacks or GSBs

Arko
SOC
RR Lavender splash

Oct 5 - Shave 2

1907 Single Ring with Astra SP - Nice and smooth - I often forget how much I like the Old Types!

Top Bottom