What's new

Pinaud Clubman

Originally Posted by Macgyver984 "Thanks to this forum, I'm not saving any money and I'm wasting hot sauce..."

...got to love that line!

Why do you think I took the name "Shaveathon"? Once you're drawn in to wet DE shaving by the assumption you're going to save a fortune on Gillette cartridges, along comes these forums and the supertstars of the Youtube shaving video world showing a whole new universe of products that's opened up with loads of great lotions, potions, creams, soaps, aftershaves, etc. etc. etc. Whoever heard of Truefitt & Hill, Geo F. Trumper, Taylor of Bond St., Stirling Soap, Omega, Semogue, and a bunch of others before entering the world of wet DE shaving? Could I have guessed that I would rediscover the Clubman line and be a huge fan? During my days of cartridge shaving the word "astringent" was never uttered from my mouth, nor did I think of pre-shave formulas with various essential oils or a post shave balm. I regularly used to use a styptic pencil, but an alum stick?!

In order to afford all these things, I'm going to need my own telethon or rather, my Shaveathon.

Last edited:
Why do you think I took the name "Shaveathon"? Once you're drawn in to wet DE shaving by the assumption you're going to save a fortune on Gillette cartridges, along comes these forums and the supertstars of the Youtube shaving video world showing a whole new universe of products that's opened up with loads of great lotions, potions, creams, soaps, aftershaves, etc. etc. etc. Whoever heard of Truefitt & Hill, Geo F. Trumer, Taylor of Bond St., Stirling Soap, Omega, Semogue, and a bunch of others before entering the world of wet DE shaving? Could I have guessed that I would rediscover the Clubman line and be a huge fan? During my days of cartridge shaving the word "astringent" was never uttered from my mouth, nor did I think of pre-shave formulas with various essential oils or a post shave balm. I regularly used to use a styptic pencil, but an alum stick?!

In order to afford all these things, I'm going to need my own telethon or rather, my Shaveathon.

Well said. And a couple of years ago I could not possibly have imagined that I would spend hours on Internet forums such as this one discussing . . . shaving, of all things.

For that matter, I could not have imagined an Internet forum in which people are polite and respectful toward each other.

--Bob

How did you manage to get the original labels off of the old plastic bottles? Is it as easy as soaking the plastic bottles in hot water?

I put hot water in the plastic bottles and nuked them until they were a little bubbly (30 seconds for me). Hot tap water alone didn't seem to get the glue loose enough.

Good luck!

Last edited:
TA-DA! Now to wait....

$14355147825591441841431.jpg

BTW, these are Louisiana hot sauce 6oz bottles without a removable restricter. The Tabasco is a TSA friendly 2oz. I got the 6oz

bottles at Walmart for $.68.$20150628_123524.jpg

Last edited:
How well do the 6oz without a restrictor work for doling out a splash of Clubman? Do you get too much? Do you have to put your thumb over the opening?

It has a restrictor, it's just part of the bottle and doesn't come out. It's a little harder to fill that way but not bad. I just turned the bottle upside down and squeezed. I used the lime sec this morning and it work great. A little faster flow than the origin bottle but still very controllable.

Found an old flask-shaped glass liquor bottle which I'm using to "condition" my Clubman Pinaud. Nice looking embossed designs on the bottle. Thanks for the tips on removing the label! Used an electric kettle and that got the water plenty hot to remove the label. Shape of the label doesn't quite fit the blank area of the bottle.

Unfortunately no restrictor yet, and it's an odd size so not sure I'll find one. This will require careful pouring directly from the bottle, though it will probably just be used for conditioning and something else more usable for sink side.

$20150628_180010.jpg

$IMGP0007.jpg$IMGP0008.jpg$IMGP0009.jpg

Got some of these from work due to reading about the power of decanting the Clubman & a worry that 400ml bottles of Proraso, Floids or Pinaud wouldn't fit in my treasure chest.

Think they hold about 50 ml & you can choose how big to make the hole in the rubber septa.

Seems to work fine

A few days ago I bought some hot sauce at a local Fryes grocery store (store brand) for less than $1. I emptied the hot sauce out in the sink and rinsed out the bottle. I then filled the bottle with Clubman. My wife entered the room and sniffed. I thought she smelled the Clubman but no she smelled the hot sauce and asked me if I was using that as an AS!

So I wonder what she will say when I come home with some 2 oz bottles of hot sauce.

A few days ago I bought some hot sauce at a local Fryes grocery store (store brand) for less than $1. I emptied the hot sauce out in the sink and rinsed out the bottle. I then filled the bottle with Clubman. My wife entered the room and sniffed. I thought she smelled the Clubman but no she smelled the hot sauce and asked me if I was using that as an AS!

So I wonder what she will say when I come home with some 2 oz bottles of hot sauce.

Slightly off-topic - Diluted hot sauce makes some great insect repellent/killer for use on outdoor plants.

The Pinaud Clubman talcum powder is great too.

There's two types. One is the 4 oz. shaving talc and the other is the regular 9 oz. "Finest" talc (comes in two colors). The main difference from what I can tell is that the shaving talc contains zinc oxide while the "Finest" talc has benzyl salicylate.

$clubman_talc.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like the Cholula bottle because of the wooden cap.

Clubman is simply the best basic aftershave there is, as far as scent goes. Of course it doesn't quite have the mojo of Hai Karate, but it smells great.

My list, by preference.
Clubman
Ogalalla Bay Rum Extra Strong
Dominican Bay Rum
Clubman Special Reserve (use with caution... I use it more like a cologne than an AS)
LayRite #9 (extra points for the label, for mojo)
Original Old Spice (Finished my last bottle of the real stuff last year, but the Indian version seems pretty close)

Everything on my list is cheap as chips, except the Ogallala, and it isn't too pricey.

Top Bottom