What's new

Still getting Irritation

Same spot on my neck. I have tried different angels, blades, soaps, wtg atg xtg, pre-shave products, face scrub, before shower, after shower, cold water and different balms. My routine now is usually either shower before or not. Either way I let some warm water sit on the container of Mike's Lime for a few seconds while I splash cold water on my face. lather neck first shave last. I go WTG twice on the neck and across the grain once. Rinse with cold water and apply Lucky Tiger. Blade is Gillette 7 yellow. Razor is Maggard MR8. So I guess what I am thinking is maybe it is something with the post shave. Do after shaves help? I mean like the alcohol based ones. I tried Alum in the past and found it hurt a lot. Seemed almost to irritate more. Is there any kind of daily lotion I should be using. I have tried the Nviea sensitive and the Soap Commander Integrity. Both didn't make a huge difference that I can recall unless it was dry out. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you for your time.

The only thing you didn't mention is........pressure.
Can you apply more pressure on these spots causing more irritation.

The only thing you didn't mention is........pressure.
Can you apply more pressure on these spots causing more irritation.

Forgot about that. I am really trying to watch and back off on the pressure. I feel the MR8 with it's big handle has helped me a lot.

I too, use witch hazel after every shave. That big ole #8 handle is great for letting the razor work on the downstroke, but you have to be careful going north and sideways.

+1 on witch hazel.

Have you tried different blades? I got terrible irritation from any Gillette blade when I was getting started (using a Tech.). Same setup with an Astra SP or feather and no problems. I think it might be something with the coating Gillette uses (for me). I've found I can use them in a steep angle razor like an R41, and not see the problem (or at least much less)

Soap can be a player too. Try something else if you have it.

+1 on witch hazel.

Have you tried different blades? I got terrible irritation from any Gillette blade when I was getting started (using a Tech.). Same setup with an Astra SP or feather and no problems. I think it might be something with the coating Gillette uses (for me). I've found I can use them in a steep angle razor like an R41, and not see the problem (or at least much less)

Soap can be a player too. Try something else if you have it.

Blades I have tried Derby, Gillette Yellow 7, Gillette Silver Blue, Shark, Lords, Wiliknson Sword, Astra SP, Astra SS, Feather, Bic and probably a few more. For me anything that has Platinum seems to Irritate me.

Sopas I have tried. WSP, HTGAM, PPA, Prooraso, Mike's, Soap Commander, Tiki, Stirling and some other I feel like I am missing. I have some Mickey Lee's on the way as well as some MWF that I will be trying again.

I too, use witch hazel after every shave. That big ole #8 handle is great for letting the razor work on the downstroke, but you have to be careful going north and sideways.

Could you please elaborate on this a little more? Thank you.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I forgot about Witch Hazel. Will try to pick some up shortly. But doesn't Lucky Tiger have Witch Hazel in it? I suppose maybe just straight Witch Hazel might be the ticket.

I think you should just keep reading the sacred blade angle tutorial... until you figure out that it's 100% wrong. A variety of blade pitches are necessary on the neck.

I've been dealing with the same thing. Persistent irritation on the same spot on my neck. Yesterday I shaved using Shave Secret Oil. I followed the directions as they are written. Yesterday's shave was pretty darn good with no irritations. It was only my first shave with it so I'm not going to declare success yet. But it might be worth a try.

You might try some Witch Hazel after your shave.
Another +1 on the witch hazel.
I'm new to the forum, but can agree for the past year anytime my sensitive skin started to burn, dabbed a cotton pad in witch hazel and dabbed the spot. Not a 100% fix in my case (don't know if it ever is) but the difference was still night and day to when I would have to just suck it up.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like WH, but I think you should try and figure out what is causing the irritation rather than how to deal with the irritation.

Pressure and blade angle are the two most common problems that spring to mind. The blade/razor combination is certainly a possible contributor.

You need to try something different. Does it help to skip the XTG pass? That can be a difficult one on the neck.

For people telling me to skip passes. It is not really an option must be clean shaven. As far as blade angel goes. Does anyone have any tips on how to observe the angel. It seems like with the soap on the razor head it is hard to tell.

For people telling me to skip passes. It is not really an option must be clean shaven. As far as blade angel goes. Does anyone have any tips on how to observe the angel. It seems like with the soap on the razor head it is hard to tell.

Here is a link to a wiki on angle: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Blade_Angle

One thing that I do from time to time is run a bladeless razor down my face without lather. I do this while looking closely in the mirror.

I'm still figuring out how to shave without neck irritation too, but I have found that different parts of my neck need lightly different angles.

I'm also enjoying a very mild razor. In your original post, you mentioned that you are using a Maggard handle. Maybe trying their open comb head will be better for your neck. I've been using it and it's very mild. And as I mentioned above, I just started using Shave Secret Oil. My first two shave using it have been close to BBS and I haven't noticed irritation.

Last edited:
I think you are on your way with the advice above.

What you do after you shave also is important.

I rinse my face with cool water to take off the lather. Next, I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds. Next I apply a splash of Thayers Rose Petal or Lavender WH. Thayers also makes an unscented WH. All are alcohol free and do not sting when going on but provide soothing relief. I then use a skin moisturizer or ASB to provide relief. There are a number of good products out there such as Nivea, Neutrogena, T&H, GFT, and others. Another good one that is not meant only for shaving but does an excellent job is CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion. Also, at night I put on a moisturizer – usually CeraVe – and that hastens the healing process and prepares my face for the next day’s shave

Here is a link to a wiki on angle: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Blade_Angle

One thing that I do from time to time is run a bladeless razor down my face without lather. I do this while looking closely in the mirror.

I'm still figuring out how to shave without neck irritation too, but I have found that different parts of my neck need lightly different angles.

I'm also enjoying a very mild razor. In your original post, you mentioned that you are using a Maggard handle. Maybe trying their open comb head will be better for your neck. I've been using it and it's very mild. And as I mentioned above, I just started using Shave Secret Oil. My first two shave using it have been close to BBS and I haven't noticed irritation.

Think I might place an order for the open comb shortly.

So I am assuming that the open head will help to pay attention to blade angel as being slightly less forgiving.

Top Bottom