What's new

Proraso Green soap

I love the Proraso Green soap and agree with all of the positive comments here. I would also like to add that I think the pre-shave cream adds significantly to the Proraso experience. It starts the "cool-down" process and lubricates the beard nicely. Finish with Proraso aftershave splash and it makes for a great shave in my book!

Prorasso Green has a chemical smell that I find off-putting, I recently tried Caties Bubbles Mile High Menthol and IMO it's what Prorasso Green wishes it could be, better in every way.

Prorasso Green has a chemical smell that I find off-putting,

I have to agree with that. I bought it online so I couldn't "test-smell" it, but if I had, I certainly wouldn't have bought it. Really chemical and that doesn't really improve when you lather it up. There is a slight cooling effect once you paint it on your face, but thats not enough for me to give it a thumbs up. If anything, I can't shake the "that stuff for sure gets me cancer" feeling when I lather it up. I would definitely not recommend it.

I have to agree with that. I bought it online so I couldn't "test-smell" it, but if I had, I certainly wouldn't have bought it. Really chemical and that doesn't really improve when you lather it up. There is a slight cooling effect once you paint it on your face, but thats not enough for me to give it a thumbs up. If anything, I can't shake the "that stuff for sure gets me cancer" feeling when I lather it up. I would definitely not recommend it.
Proraso has been making shave products since long before you were a gleam in your Father's eye. Perhaps the scent is not for you but "Chemical" and "Cancer" are really not words that should be used to describe this product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Considering that Proraso recently reformulated its entire line to remove parabens and other items that may actually have health risks, your fears about cancer are pretty unfounded. The cooling in Proraso Green is actually delivered by eucalyptus, and I've never seen a two-headed koala (let alone folks who use Hall's cough drops).

1.8 Euros = $2. Buy several tubs as gifts for friends. Proraso green is great stuff and it costs way more than this in the USA.

I love and miss Tuscany. SO beautiful. I have many soaps, many Artisan soaps....but i still LOVE Proraso Green. Its a classic for good reason. It is just awesome. Wonderful performance, and that scent is so classic Italian barbershop. Cheap to. Its a win for sure.

Proraso Green tub was my first soap. Once I finish my Stirling Summer Samples 3017 effort I'll be moving on to the Proraso Green. Great summer soap.

Proraso has been making shave products since long before you were a gleam in your Father's eye. Perhaps the scent is not for you but "Chemical" and "Cancer" are really not words that should be used to describe this product.

The fact that a product has been around for very long is not necessarily a testment to it's quality.
I didn't use "cancer" to describe the product, I said I couldn't shake the thought that it probably gets me cancer. But to follow this up, I looked up the ingrediences: the soap contains sodium hydroxymethylglycinate which releases formaldehyde when in contact with the skin. It can easily irrate your mucous membranes, cause allergic reactions and is assumed to be a cancer causing agent. Also, the soap contains tetrasodium edta, which is known to weaken your cell membranes.
Now it is possible that Proraso has since removed those ingredients, but they are still labelled on my tube.

As for the smell: naturally highly subjective. But to me, it smells chemical. Not at all like the plant or any eucalyptus oil I have ever smelled.

I really enjoy my shaves with Proraso green. I agree the scent isn't the greatest. It can seem a bit musty. But the eucalyptus clears the head out a bit and I really like menthol so it's a good one for me. If the scent puts you off, try the white. It's got about the same menthol kick but the eucalyptus is replaced with a fresh lemon scent, not an artificial lemon like some cheap soaps. Of course with the menthol in there it comes out as a lemon-mint mix but not bad for an inexpensive soap.

Proraso products are terrific! The green soap and cream are absolute classics! Perfect for summer too...always reminds me of my trips to Italy:001_smile

Prorasso Green has a chemical smell that I find off-putting, I recently tried Caties Bubbles Mile High Menthol and IMO it's what Prorasso Green wishes it could be, better in every way.

That's interesting because Mile High Menthol was designed to be an exact replica of Proraso, and in fact, to my nose, they are same. I think the "hidden" scent in Proraso that might be considered by some to be off-putting or "chemical" is camphor. Its also one of the major scent components in MdC, which Phil of Bullgoose hates because it smells like hot tar to him. Camphor can be derived from turpentine and has been used as embalming fluid. However, it also has culinary applications, used in religious ceremonies, and has medicinal value (it is one of the major "active" ingredients in Vicks Vapo-Rub).

The fact that a product has been around for very long is not necessarily a testment to it's quality.
I didn't use "cancer" to describe the product, I said I couldn't shake the thought that it probably gets me cancer. But to follow this up, I looked up the ingrediences: the soap contains sodium hydroxymethylglycinate which releases formaldehyde when in contact with the skin. It can easily irrate your mucous membranes, cause allergic reactions and is assumed to be a cancer causing agent. Also, the soap contains tetrasodium edta, which is known to weaken your cell membranes.
Now it is possible that Proraso has since removed those ingredients, but they are still labelled on my tube.

As for the smell: naturally highly subjective. But to me, it smells chemical. Not at all like the plant or any eucalyptus oil I have ever smelled.

You're going to get exposed to more chemicals in higher concentrations from no iron shirts, dry cleaning, chemicals leached from plastics when you re-heat food, off gassing from carpets, paints and new cars, recirculated air in an airplane cabin or a Twinkie. If you don't like it, don't use it, but we don't do chemical fear mongering around here.

It's not a strong menthol, if you like menthol, try the pre and post shave cream in the green from proraso. It has a lot more menthol, and on a 2 or 3 pass shave it feels quite cool each time you soap up. Reduces burn too. I like it with the soap.

+1

I love the green pre/post, green soap combo!

Top Bottom