What's new

2015 Formula 1 season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might subscribe to that idea if Lewis had not recently resigned for an additional three years with MB. Of course, the alternate theory becomes the "screwed up" in order to placate Rosberg who wants to be top dog.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Niko is a terrific driver, but he's not going to be top dog on that team. Hammy's hissy fit struck me as particularly unseemly for a guy who was just handed a hundred and fifty mil.

Can't say he's not hungry, though.

I just started reading this thread and it's pretty clear that everyone's earlier predictions about the McLarens were pretty spot on. Pity...

Well I remember last yr toward the end of the season, that Nico was told to back off by Team leadership when he had indicated he could catch and pass Hamilton, but was told to be a "team player" for Hamilton. I understand they wanted to ensure an MB win, but the situation in Monaco is quid pro quo, and I agree Hamilton could have handled it better... at least publically..

On a secondary note.. very jealous of you guys up in Canada for the next race. Hopefully some of you guys are going

Well I remember last yr toward the end of the season, that Nico was told to back off by Team leadership when he had indicated he could catch and pass Hamilton, but was told to be a "team player" for Hamilton. I understand they wanted to ensure an MB win, but the situation in Monaco is quid pro quo, and I agree Hamilton could have handled it better... at least publically.

What race did that happen in? I do not recall that. To my recollection, Nico and Lewis were racing each other for the championship down to the last race. I do remember an incident in Hungary where Lewis was told to slow down and let Nico pass him, which he refused to do.

What race did that happen in? I do not recall that. To my recollection, Nico and Lewis were racing each other for the championship down to the last race. I do remember an incident in Hungary where Lewis was told to slow down and let Nico pass him, which he refused to do.

I will have to check my DVR but I thought it was toward the end of the season

I don't think there was any conspiracy that cost LH the win. IMO, Mercedes built a great car and has two top-tier drivers, but they struggle with strategy when under pressure. I don't know why, but I like the drama it adds.

For Montreal, I think we may see a Williams on the podium, Kimi still back with the Force India's, STR finishing ahead of Red Bull, and at least one DNF from Mercedes.

My son is thinking about going to Austin for the race. This would be his first time at a F1, or any car race for that matter. Does anyone here have any familiarity with the track in Austin and/or advice for him regarding seats, whether General Admission is a huge mistake, or anything else relating to going to the race? TIA!

I used to watch every F1 race in the 80's and through until the late 90's, even getting up at 2am to watch some races in different times zones live. I never missed a race. There were real characters with obvious skill willing those cars around tracks which often were not in perfect condition. It was racing, the whole package was interesting, from the technology to the soap opera.

I almost gave up in the 90's when Ferrari started blatantly cheating and getting away with it. In 94 when a certain idiot driving a Ferrari intentionally crashed into Damon Hill and got away with it, I almost stopped watching, but then he got what was coming to him in 97 when he tried exactly the same thing with smashing into Villeneuve.

The 2000's destroyed my love of F1. It could have been the massive step forward in technology, which got too good. But, I feel a certain red team demanded that they win or they would leave F1 and start their own racing series, and when the biggest commercial draw threatens to leave then that becomes a big deal. I have no proof obviously, it's just my opinion, but as soon as other huge commercial entities entered F1 the red dominance stopped.

I really thought the return to small turbo engines would renew my interest in the once majestic sport, but for some reason it hasn't.

I often wonder if it's the robot drivers of the newer age of F1 I don't relate to. Kimi is the only real personality in the bunch, Ricciardo has a chance of showing some personality.

I sometimes think the only thing they can do to improve F1 would be to bring in a standard 10 inch tire to lower traction, but I doubt any tire manufacturer in the world would want to produce a tire where millions of people would be watching them fail every week.

Please help me see what I'm missing that draws you to modern F1, I would love to renew that passion for it that I once had.

I too faded away with the dominance of Ferrari, as I am sure did many others, including those willing to pony up the $$$ for sponsorships and races. I think that F-1 has been searching for a rules set up that will guarantee competitiveness for more teams at "reasonable" costs. I had to laugh at your reference to Kimi and "personality". I guess that comes with age, because the "cool" Finn was never known for it when he first hit the circuit.
I miss the days of Adrian Newey stunning everyone with the radical Sauber design, or the screaming Renault engines of a decade ago. I am somewhat interested in the circuit again, but it will take a season where the DRIVERS make more of a difference. I mean, no way Lewis is top of the standings if he's in a Force India or Marussia, right? That needs to improve.

My son is thinking about going to Austin for the race. This would be his first time at a F1, or any car race for that matter. Does anyone here have any familiarity with the track in Austin and/or advice for him regarding seats, whether General Admission is a huge mistake, or anything else relating to going to the race? TIA!

I have heard that GA at COTA is good, and the area at turn 1 at the top of the hill is a prime spot...

$CircuitOTA.jpg

Last edited:
I sometimes think the only thing they can do to improve F1 would be to bring in a standard 10 incPlease help me see what I'm missing that draws you to modern F1, I would love to renew that passion for it that I once had.

Silly though it may seem, one of things that captivates me in modern F1 is the blazing speed of pit stops. I love watching pit crews chase faster and faster pit times, and fully expect that we will see sub 2 second pit stops soon enough. This is one of the reasons I really hope they don't bring refueling back, but I'm probably the only one who finds that stuff entertaining.

I also love the technological acheivement that an F1 car represents. Those machines are at the cutting edge of automotive technology and aerodynamics, and can do things no other cars in the world can. I guess it's still new to me (this is only my 3rd season following F1), but I still love that side of it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Silly though it may seem, one of things that captivates me in modern F1 is the blazing speed of pit stops. I love watching pit crews chase faster and faster pit times, and fully expect that we will see sub 2 second pit stops soon enough.

I understand sub two second times have already been recorded in practice, so it's only a matter of time.

What amazes me is that the guy is expected to get the gun on the wheel nut before the car even comes to a stop.

Silly though it may seem, one of things that captivates me in modern F1 is the blazing speed of pit stops. I love watching pit crews chase faster and faster pit times, and fully expect that we will see sub 2 second pit stops soon enough. This is one of the reasons I really hope they don't bring refueling back, but I'm probably the only one who finds that stuff entertaining.

I also love the technological acheivement that an F1 car represents. Those machines are at the cutting edge of automotive technology and aerodynamics, and can do things no other cars in the world can. I guess it's still new to me (this is only my 3rd season following F1), but I still love that side of it.

You can thank Jacques Villeneuve for big advances in pitstops. I remember reading when he joined F1 (testing in 1995) from CART he made Williams change to a quick nut like what was used in America which was then quickly adopted and advanced by all F1 teams. You are right to admire pit stops, they have traditionally made or lost seasons on their own and are a major part of F1.

Yes, technology has always been incredible in F1, thus the massive amount of money which is needed to fund a racing season.

I remember back in 1984, the Honda F1 turbo engine, if i remember correctly was just under 1.5L in displacement, and in qualifying trim it was cranking out 1100BHP. By 1986 BWM had tweaked their turbos to hit 1400BHP for qualifying.

Just before that period, I knew a man who managed a Honda World Superbike team, and then moved on to Yamaha. He told me stories about Honda's oval piston development which was quickly banned by F1, there was rumors they were expecting to get close to 2000BHP from those oval piston engines.

One thing is for sure, technology developed by F1 does find it's way into our cars. Things like active suspensions, variable valve timing, advancements in oil technology, sequential gear boxes, chassis strengthening, even tire development.

The split turbo was something very interesting they implemented recently, and really it was just common sense separating the hot and cold sides of the turbo from each other.

Although it was not a thriller of a race, I had a great couple of days in Montreal. The weather at the track on Saturday and Sunday was perfect. I didn't take a ton of pictures, but here are a couple from the driver's parade.

$fernalo2.jpg$DR.jpg

Do they still let people camp on the infield in Montreal? A friend of mine used to go every year in the 80's and camped out at the track for the days leading up to race day. He said there was nothing in the world like being awoke by a F1 car going out for a morning practice run.

Envious, Was a great race. Most impressed with Vettel nice comeback. Other than that it is still the Hamilton / Rossberg Show LOL

Do they still let people camp on the infield in Montreal? A friend of mine used to go every year in the 80's and camped out at the track for the days leading up to race day. He said there was nothing in the world like being awoke by a F1 car going out for a morning practice run.

Camping in that park does sound like fun, but I don't believe that still happens. Plus with today's cars, you could probably sleep through it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom