What's new

Ray Ban sunglasses

My wife would like Ray Ban sunglasses for her birthday in 2 weeks. I've never paid more than $10 for a pair of sunglasses in my life.

To say I need some guidance is an understatement.

Help....

What style? I would search on-line vendors for best price. Be prepared for some sticker shock.
I'm thinking the Wayfarer. They are unisex right? I did get the sticker shock. I was hoping someone here could guide me in the right direction so I don't get ripped off.

I see some websites overseas advertising them for $22. I know that is not right. Probably a lot of counterfeits out there.

Depending on her personal style the wayfarer or new wayfarer r classic models. As well as the clubmaster or aviator. All good choices in my opinion. Good luck! With the aviator models there r deff sizes FYI. The new wayfarer is smaller than the original. If u opt for polarized lenses it adds 50 to the price. Hope this helps.

If looking online be careful of fakes. I not a rayban person as I prefer Oakleys, but a lot of fakes out there of both.

Does your insurance cover prescription glasses? My insurance covered my Ray Bans which I got from LensCrafters. I've also never paid more than 10 bucks for sunglasses before, but I don't know if I could go back to a cheap pair now.

I just got a new pair of prescription glasses from my opthamologist,and I picked Ray Ban frames.I was kind of shocked to see they were imports from Communist China,although the Doc assured me the quality was "the same".I have worn American Optical and Ronsir vintage NOS browlines for 30 years or more,these Chinese Ray Bans are close,but nothing matches that old Bakelite look.

I got my ran ban sun glasses at sun glass hut at the mall they usually have a booth set up in the center aisle. 160.00 bucks for the ones I got. Yes that is a lot of money but hey we spend a good amount of money on our hobby of ours so what ever keeps the lady of the house happy will allow her to tolerate your AD's :thumbup:. My recommendation would be to buy at a place like sun glass hut so you get the real deal and not the knock offs. There are some places at the mall that have the cheaper sun glasses and I would skip over it if you want to keep the lady happy... Just my .02 YMMV

Definitely check on your insurance. I am blessed with 20/20 vision, and have never needed glasses, yet had eye insurance in the event something happened. Then I had a friend tell me about using his eye insurance for non prescription sunglasses. Best move I've made (I got Oakley's though...).

Hopefully your wife takes care of her stuff. I don't mean that negative, but if she loses sunglasses all the time, this may not be the best option. My wife is constantly losing sunglasses, so she gets the cheapies. :)

I got my ran ban sun glasses at sun glass hut at the mall they usually have a booth set up in the center aisle. 160.00 bucks for the ones I got. Yes that is a lot of money but hey we spend a good amount of money on our hobby of ours so what ever keeps the lady of the house happy will allow her to tolerate your AD's :thumbup:. My recommendation would be to buy at a place like sun glass hut so you get the real deal and not the knock offs. There are some places at the mall that have the cheaper sun glasses and I would skip over it if you want to keep the lady happy... Just my .02 YMMV

I too buy mine at sunglasses hut. Plus whenever she's at the mall they will clean and adjust them for her.

Certain styles go on sale over at Amazon. I scooped up my Clubmasters for $90. The color/lens combo will dictate the price.

In addition to the advice offered above, I would suggest that you take her along to try different frames/models/tints/colors on and let her choose her gift. A style may look great online, but look terrible when on the face based on different factors.

Just my $0.02...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'm a RayBan fan for 40+ years, won't wear anything else. You'll pay Premium prices at Mall kiosks but you get to see how they look on you.I have four pairs of Ray Bans, 2 Wayfarers (1 and 2) that a friend sold me for $50 total; I should be arrested for stealing. A pair of Caravans that my dad left me and a pair of black frame Outdoorsman.

A truly honest pair of sunglass can save one huge problems later in life. Reduce cataracts, contribute to lowering chances for wet macular degeneration, even just being a sacrificial splash guard for the unforeseen. Expense and research just like any other investment you'd consider.

Oh, and as nice, and as much as I've enjoyed retro Ray bans, check into Wiley's.

Last edited:
I've been wearing prescription Ray Ban aviator/shooting style glasses for many, many years and won't get anything else. If she likes that style/look, she must try them on as they come in several sizes and also must be fitted. Also, if she is damage prone, these are not for her; the wire frames can be destroyed very quickly. Not cheap, but worth it if you like the style and are careful with them.

I can't speak for the modern Luxottica Ray Bans, but I recently got a mint pair of Bausch & Lomb-made Ray Ban Outdoorsmans from the 70's and they are quite nice.

I agree with the suggestion that you take your wife shopping with you--frames can look very different (good or bad) depending on the geometry of one's face.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Welcome back, Franz. Looks like you pulled a me, drop off the face of the Earth for almost 2 years then jump right back in.

Top Bottom