What's new

My Guess... 3017

It is, it just needs to be worked a bit more to load from the smaller surface area. Just shaved, and there is soap remaining for one last shave. Maybe. I am more surprised that the soap hasn't broken apart and I have to chase the pieces all over the bowl.

Every time I see your bowl I wish my Dottie bowl didn't have that stupid depression in the bottom. I would probably actually use it for something other than storing aftershave samples if it was just bowl shaped like yours.

I think at the end of the month, I'm going to move over to a monthly schedule. If you don't mind, I'd still like to post here, as I'll be doing the same product for ~30 days at a time.

There's a number of reasons:

- I find myself rushing through great products in order to get to something else, and then overlooking what I enjoy about them. The first 2-3 weeks of using a product is my favorite, because you're experiencing something new, learning the lather, enjoying the scent, etc.

- I also find myself avoiding using products because I don't want to use them up. MdC is an example. It's expensive and I don't want to try and kill it; I want to enjoy it. But I don't want to enjoy it for 3-4 months. I want to enjoy it for a little while, then sit it aside and revisit.

- I also want to be able to compare products while using more than say 4-5 products in a year. To compare AOS and MdC and PdP while giving them each a fair shake and not have two products be several months apart.

- There are a number of products that are seasonal for me which I don't want to kill start to finish and lose that season. Spring, for example. I have MdC, PdP, WSP Lavender, and Speick cream. Any one of those products will take 2-3 months to finish, effectively taking over the season.

- The big benefit of the 3017 fidelity is learning a product really well, with a variety of brushes and techniques. It's like the Brush Chronicles in a way.

- I also really like to measure the usage of a product. A few shaves isn't enough to get a sample size, but a month of shaves I think will extrapolate out pretty well.

It is, it just needs to be worked a bit more to load from the smaller surface area. Just shaved, and there is soap remaining for one last shave. Maybe. I am more surprised that the soap hasn't broken apart and I have to chase the pieces all over the bowl.
I can see your picture being enough for 3 shaves for me too. The last sliver seems to last forever for me too, probably in part to the surface area affecting loading but typically my shave quality does not go down at that point either.

I think at the end of the month, I'm going to move over to a monthly schedule. If you don't mind, I'd still like to post here, as I'll be doing the same product for ~30 days at a time.
I totally get your reasoning.

I'm certainly not one to decide who should/shouldn't post here but I'd still welcome seeing your posts.

The only thing I'd say is even though you're part of this group and would still be getting some of the benefit, you wouldn't fit into the 3017 definition anymore. Re-reading the original post it was definitely about using up products and the other benefits were later realized.

There is a monthly soap thread I think, so maybe you will get twice the posting? :)

Whatever you decide, it's still just shaving so I say post what and where you want. ;)

Every time I see your bowl I wish my Dottie bowl didn't have that stupid depression in the bottom. I would probably actually use it for something other than storing aftershave samples if it was just bowl shaped like yours.

Sell yours, buy a new one. You may lose a couple of bucks in the process, but you will enjoy the bowl without the depression in it.

I'm a relative newbie to this mega thread, but that doesn't sound too different than someone chopping off 50g of a Cella brick and using it for a month or so, and then moving on. You do lose out on the mental satisfaction of seeing the bottom of a container though.

brucered

System Generated
There is a monthly soap thread I think, so maybe you will get twice the posting? :)

Yes, there is a 'soap of the month' club, but there is no point in doubling up post counts or content.

The 3017 thread has claimed Jarick, so we get to keep him. But he's obviously free to post in either or both. I don't think Bob set up any hard and fast rules for this thread.

Last edited:
Yeah that's where I think I made the distinction. I mean, I could lop off a chunk of PdP or do a half stick of Speick or whatever, but it's kind of the same thing.

But I'm in this thread daily, so I'll keep posting my soap thoughts unless I get voted off the island :thumbup:

Plus you guys already got me to buy a puck each of PdP and Haslinger last month. I have to keep my fingers on the pulse.

Plus you guys already got me to buy a puck each of PdP and Haslinger last month. I have to keep my fingers on the pulse.

I am considering creating a "year of Haslinger" thread for 2016, even though I might start on it late this year. I have nine pucks available to me to use, and I think people would be interested in how each scent goes.

Yes, there is a 'soap of the month' club, but there is no point in doubling up post counts or content.

The 3017 thread has claimed Jarick, so we get to keep him. But he's obviously free to post in either or both. I don't think Bob set up any hard and fast rules for this thread.

That was mostly a joke on my part. More seriously, one reason he might double-post in both threads is to connect with that crowd the way he has here. You put it perfectly in your second sentence.

Back to soap... I might deviate this weekend to get a better handle on MW performance. I've changed so many things lately I want to go back to a known setup and routine to remind myself where the bar is.

brucered

System Generated
I am considering creating a "year of Haslinger" thread for 2016, even though I might start on it late this year. I have nine pucks available to me to use, and I think people would be interested in how each scent goes.
I think there may a few who would join you in this.

My goal by the end of the year, is to have tried (and hopefully used) all experimental soaps...then it's on to Haslinger day in and day out. Things may change and am sure I'll be tempted by other soaps, but I could see a year of Haslinger in my future.

Last edited:
Jarick's moving to a month per soap is fine IMHO. When I look at my list of finished soaps, all the artisans were completed in a month or just a bit under. The only ones that last longer for me are the hard, triple-milled variety and they take two months. And, I have to admit, that second month gets a bit hard to do. The itch sets in, if you know what I mean.

I think there may a few who would join you in this.

My goal by the end of the year, is to have tried (and hopefully used) all experimental soaps...then it's on to Haslinger day in and day out. Things may change and am sure I'll be tempted by other soaps, but I could see a year of Haslinger in my future.

That would be great. If I'm the lucky one to set it up, it will be after I get through all of the creams I have slated for this year (plus a smidge of RR S. Maria if it agrees with me). It will be at least six months, though.

Just when I think every good idea has been taken...someone comes up with unadulterated GENIUS! I have several months of experimental soaps to burn through, but later this year I am 100% on board.

Just when I think every good idea has been taken...someone comes up with unadulterated GENIUS! I have several months of experimental soaps to burn through, but later this year I am 100% on board.

I don't think it was my idea to begin with. I think Bruce was toying with it before I bought my set of pucks.

Top Bottom