What's new

The latest Esquire tells me trouser pleats are back

I like pleated pants. I don't care if they're in or not. A classic look never goes out of style. And I don't care if they are supposed to be "slimming." I'm fairly slim to begin with, so I don't need any optical illusions to lose weight.

As for platform shoes, I've never worn platforms, but I do have a pair of Elevator shoes from Richlee that add about 3" to my 5'6" frame. I don't wear them all the time, but when I'm dressing up for a night on the town, that is what I wear. Luckily, they are comfortable enough that I can wear them for the whole night without my feet hurting, although when I first put them on, I feel a little unbalanced and walk funny for the first 15 minutes or so.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
"Style" means looking good.

"Fashion" means finding a way to make everyone buy new clothes again and again, even though the old ones haven't worn out yet.

by this definition I have Style.

and completely lack a fashion sense.

I'll take that

I do not pay much attention to what GQ says is in fashion. Esquire seems to me much more mainstream. Although I know of no publication that is really reliable and I am too oblivious to really keep up with what folks are wearing.

<Pleated pants always make me think MC Hammer>

There are pleats and there are pleats. I suspect these supposedly newly fashionable pleats will make pleats from the height of the last time around look like MC Hammer pants. All intentional, of course.

My opinion,

Pleats, like double breasted jackets, can sometimes look good on tall, thin models. They just don't look flattering on average men. Draws attention to the middle of the body and makes it appear larger. If you're short or overweight, you don't want that at all.

I'm just surprised by how many pleated pants are in stores. It's almost 50-50 ratio of pleated to flat front. But I don't see anyone recommend pleated pants.

My opinion,

Pleats, like double breasted jackets, can sometimes look good on tall, thin models. They just don't look flattering on average men. Draws attention to the middle of the body and makes it appear larger. If you're short or overweight, you don't want that at all.
Most things look good on tall thin models.
Aye there's the rub.

Yep.

I'm 5'7 and 200 pounds, so I have a hell of a time finding clothes and/or knowing what to wear. It always seems like most fashion advice for the imperfect bodies are for short and thin men or big and tall men.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I seem to recall that, years ago, when pleats replaced flat-fronts in pant fashion, there was a claim by the fashion people that pleats were "slimming" compared to FF's.

:blink:

Then the switch to FF's, and it was FF's that were "slimming".

:001_rolle

Just you wait ... if this "pleats" thing is taking off again in the world of fashion, we'll be hearing the claim that "pleats are slimming" soon enough!

:lol:

I just can't imagine how adding material and bulk to the midsection can be slimming in any way.
I mostly agree, but I can imagine how some people might think (hope) that because there is extra material bunched up there that the slimmer and heavier person look a little less distinct from each other...thus making the larger person appear slimmer. Or that the vertical pleats will create some lighter/darker contrast (shadows) and like a zebra's stripe help break up the view and slightly camouflage the wearer. But I think people are too perceptive for this effect to work other than at first glance, like passing someone walking on the street.

Personally I just consider it a different style, and I sometimes like the look.

I think the issue is the nature of the pleat that is "back." It's a single, thin pleat that doesn't add all the extra fabric that the larger double (or triple) pleats used to.

I've always enjoyed the comfort of pleats, but various women in my life are always telling me that they aren't stylish. I'll have to go pick up this issue of Esquire and carry it around with me to fend them off.

proxy.php

Talked about it with the wife and she hates pleats, aside from those on high waisted skirts.

Pleats were originally put on pants because they were worn up high near the belly button, and you needed a little more room around the hips. Pants today are now worn on the hips (probably in large part because men have much larger stomachs than they used to), so pleats wouldn't really be necessary.

I could see a single pleat working well if you're very tall and very thin, because you'll have a ton of fabric and it would make an interesting shape. But your average guy with a spare tire wearing pleated pants on the hips...just don't see it.

For me, it's not pleats vs flat front - it is just what you mentioned: pants on the hips. I'm short with comparatively short-ish legs so I definitely want pants that ride at the waist. It balances things out. I HATE how Lands End, Brooks, and others have moved toward a pant design that either makes me look like I'm about 1/3 legs or cramps that which should not be cramped pretty fiercely.

I do not think bell bottoms are ever coming back, much less platform shoes. Bell bottoms are an interesting thing. As far as I can remember or otherwise tell, bell bottoms were fashionably on in one extended time frame--first with Brit bands, then with the freaks, then with disco folks, the latter taking it from street style of pimps, etc. Platform shoes, of course, directly from the latter, as far as I can tell.

I do not think very high-waisted slacks are coming back either, but who knows. That seems to have been a 1930s, maybe 40s, thing.

But everything is coming back, eventually. Those things, certainly. Bell bottoms have an illustrious naval history. Elizabethan collars may take longer to return.

The more important question for me is when certain fashions will go away for a while. Pants worn with the waist at mid thigh, please. It's been interesting, but.

The only way I'll wear any trouser with a pleat is in very lightweight summer wool or linen. Anything heavier in fabric than that, and it's flat-front. I'm one of those rare guys that's actually got an *** to fit in his pants, and pleats just make the top of trousers look like a balloon on me. Structured clothes, I have found, are my friend.

Top Bottom