What's new

Money is not a factor in wet shaving

Like any "hobby" you eventually get to the point that you have experienced most of the options. At that point it turns into a collector thing where you search for new items for your collection or it moves back to just shaving or falls somewhere in the middle.

Many come in thinking it is a cost savings but never leave and end up with way too much shaving apparatus.

I would guess that a vast majority of people switch to DEs to save money. I know the only reason I even heard about DEs was because I saw something on the internet about cheaper cartridges - I think it was Harry's. I was going to switch to those, but decided to research a bit and get some reviews. In my research I found out DEs were even cheaper, and decided to give them a try. Had that little chain of events not happened, I would still be using Gillette cartridges and not giving it a second thought.

I think if you stop touting the cost savings, you will miss out on a large number of potential new members to the hobby.

I never looked at DE shaving to save money. Honestly before coming here I never thought of the cost when I bought razors they were just a necessity since I am in the Navy and have to shave daily.

However, after coming here and thinking about it I am probably in the minority because I believe that the Gillette Fusion is a fine cartridge (maybe a bit unrefined but workable) and my wife and I could go about two months on each one. We would buy 16 blades for 42 dollars from Sam's Discount Club. That is roughly a year and a half of blades for the both of us. In fact we have both gone DE and still have two 4 packs from our last purchase last August! My wife will still use them for her underarms so no worries.

Just a rough calculation for the Fusion I shave 6 days a week x 8 weeks = 48 shaves. Each blade is $2.62, that equals 5 cents a shave not including can goo and how much the handle plays into this, but I don't really have the calculations for that. I don't even want to think about the money I have spent in the last month on DE hardware and software. I am sure I would never have to buy another blade again if I put that into cartridges. :blush:

I am on my last shore duty and will retire next year so I no longer worry about getting shaved and running out the door I have a pretty flexible schedule and can take my time. Since the wife has always been on me about "taking care of my skin" I decided to start looking at how I could do that and well the results of that are why I am here and writing this post.

I will say that this is a much better shave and it is pretty fun using all of the different products plus the wife really like how it makes my face feel, so this is a win win for the both of us! :thumbup1:

As the others have said I believe that you could save money but you would have to simply look at this as a daily shave and nothing else. Handle, blades and soap could be pretty inexpensive if done correctly.

Reasons I switched:

- reduce ingrown hairs
- nostalgia of doing things like my grandfather did
- enjoying the small moments of "me" time in my life (having a glass of bourbon and listening to my vinyl collection while polishing my shoes is another)
- potential cost savings

I spent a couple months researching DE equipment and mentioned them to my wife, who passed the information along to other family members as Christmas gift ideas. Received my first razor (DE86), brush, cream, ASB, stand, and sample blades that Christmas. Then I won a B&B contest for a second razor ('11 R41) at the same time.

Over the past year, I have personally bought 100 Feather blades, 3 Nivea ASB bottles from Amazon, a tube of Bigelow and a VDH kit. I also just placed an order for a jar of Eton College cream and AS and an Omega brush that will arrive on Tuesday.

I believe that I'll only need to replace software when I run out from here on, but can see how people can get addicted.

For what I've spent in the last couple months. I could have bought a supply of my old razors and canned cream for a year. That being said ,I now look forward to and enjoy shaving. Something that for the last 35 year was just another task needed to be done.
Yes, I think that for many this has turned into a hobby, but it is less expensive than some other hobbies. How much does a fishing boat and tackle , motorcycle etc. cost.
It is all about personal preference and doing something that you enjoy.

It's definitely not accurate to assume that the habits of regular B&B posters mirror those of wet shavers in general. The other 99.9% (or whatever) of the world's wet-shaving gentlemen are mostly spending far, far less than the guys here are. They may enjoy wet shaving for a variety of reasons, but they don't see it as a hobby ... and assigning the word "hobby" to a task almost always brings a vast increase in budget.

I started reading here because I wanted to learn about shaving with a straight, but before that I happily shaved with a Merkur DE for years, without even knowing that wet shaving forums existed. One razor, one brush, just a few bucks worth of soap and blades a year. I enjoyed it, but I also saved a ton of money compared to using cartridges.

For what I've spent in the last couple months. I could have bought a supply of my old razors and canned cream for a year. That being said ,I now look forward to and enjoy shaving. Something that for the last 35 year was just another task needed to be done.
Yes, I think that for many this has turned into a hobby, but it is less expensive than some other hobbies. How much does a fishing boat and tackle , motorcycle etc. cost.
It is all about personal preference and doing something that you enjoy.

Those who stick around on shaving forums rarely save money. I'm testament to that. The two or three friends I know who DE shave have one razor, one brush, one cream, and probably buy blades a hundred at a time.

This! My son & SIL use razors I no longer wanted, and are quite content with a single good razor - both are currently using a couple of Techs. They have no desire to try a stainless razor. Neither one uses a brush, and my SIL doesn't even use soap. If either gets low on blades, I give them 20-30 of whatever I happen to have at the moment. Like me, they seem to notice no difference in blades.

Even for myself: I've spent quite a bit on razors, but I have no objection to spending money on a different razor design (Merkur slant) or a precision built piece like the Feather. I view that as entirely different that spending $2-3/week on disposable carts. My objection to Gillette was the ridiculousness of carts with even more blades, electric powered carts, carts with balls...it simply became offensive to me! :angry:

Had I been able to keep finding my Sensor carts in the store and if the price had been around $1.50 or less, I'd still be using the Sensor and would not have tried the EJ89. It was when I couldn't find ANY Sensor carts in the store and even the Mach 3 carts were running $3.50 and up that I went online to find a cheaper source - and found DE razors instead.

BTW - this last week I've been alternating between the $175 Feather and the $23 Merkur 15c. The 15c will not get me as close a shave at the Feather, but it will give me a CCS in 5 minutes with no bother and only a blade & Ivory bar soap to help. I don't plan on selling the AS-D2, but I could understand someone who would buy a 15c & 200 blades, and then just shave one comfortable shave after another, again and again.

Last edited:
For me, it never has been about saving money. Truth be told, I never even gave the cost of cartridges a second thought. It was only upon reading the forums here where I see so many complain about their cost. Since venturing into the DE shaving world (maybe a year now), I've spent more on product than I could ever have even dreamed of when cartridge shaving. On a recent trip to New Orleans, I spent in two days (Aiden Gill for Men) what I wouldn't have spent in 5 years cartridge shaving; probably more. So it's definitely not about saving money. Nor do I think that it should be touted as such; i.e. "For the right reason" as mentioned by the OP.

"The right reason" means different things to different people. For me, the 'right reason' is that I now enjoy the entire process (ritual if you will) of shaving. I enjoy the various scents, textures, and products I now have at my immediate disposal. I enjoy knowing that my face feels and looks better than ever before and that I'm engaging in something which brings me peace and pleasure. This is something I do for me. Sure, it has side benefits. But when you look at it that way, aren't we ALL worth the price of admission?

At the onset, I bought darned near everything I saw talked about on here. Over a year ago, I didn't know what a Fat Boy or Slim even was? Now I have a collection of both. MDC? What's that? ADP? Really? I'm at the stage where I'm 'relatively comfortable' with what I have acquired. But that's not to say that I won't be out there purchasing something else that I happen upon on the various forum threads (case in point, the Maggard Razors Orange Menthol Soap and Aftershave as mentioned above).

As I said, DE shaving means different things to different folks. Makes no difference how or why we're here. The fact of the matter is that we're here; all sharing a common bond and interest. My advice to 'newbies' would be to a) have fun with this b) experiment with different products c) make your own decisions and d) NEVER spend beyond your means; for it's only shaving.

I only own two Fatboy`s both were found in the wild for very cheap, one simpon duke 3 brush, I buy feather blades in 200 quanity to get a bigger discount and use C.O Bigalow cream . I only use drugstore and clubman aftershave products I can buy local for cheap. So I think I have saved money over the long term. I don`t need a razor made in every year and every quarter etc..... where would it end.

I support anyone in their reasons for DE shaving - even reduced cost. After spending a chunk of money over the last 6 months I have come to the conclusion that even the cheapest (Weishi) DE at $8 shipped with 10 Dorcos gives a better shave than a Fusion Pro-Glide. How much better is the shave with fancier razors and more expensive blades - maybe 5%. Is it worth spending hundreds of dollars to figure that out? Not as far as I'm concerned. But that depends on the man and his wallet.

DE shaving remains for those who elect it - an inexpensive option. For those who elect to buy more each month - have fun with it.

Initially The big attraction was saving money, but the biggest benefit I'm seeing is wet shaving feels better on my skin. After only a few weeks I am seeing a big improvement on my face and neck. Fewer razor burns and bumps. I always thought it was just my skin type or complexion!
However I do hope that in the long run I will be saving some money. But I do find myself looking at all the different types of razors, blades, soaps and aftershaves. So maybe not.

Absolutely cost is a factor. We save so much money on blades, that we now can CHOOSE to change them much more frequently and we also CHOOSE to spend our blade savings on pampering our skin with more and better products.

Traditional (wet) shaving is less expensive; however when it strays into a hobby - then it does become more expensive.

From the posts made there are several members who do not have large collections.

I've converted 3 people, and they are definitely saving a ton of money. They each have 2 razors and 2 brushes a piece. Compared to what they tell me they used to spend on carts.

I was saving money the first year and a half of this. I may be breaking even at this point, I don't buy expensive or rare razors.

Starting since this past Thanksgiving, I have easily spent more in this 3 month period than in my whole life previously and I am not a teenager! If I was to add in my Electric razors, then it may be a 50/50 thing.

Wet shaving can be cheaper, but none of us has any self-control.

Excuse me but some of us do have self-control. I spend very little on hardware or software and I am far, far ahead financially than if I used any of the modern carts and cans/tubes of chemical slime on the market.

Top Bottom