What's new

Money is not a factor in wet shaving

How many times do I see articles that espouse the benefits of wet shaving. We all are passionate and for very good reason. I don't need to rehash the benefits of wet shaving as opposed to using the mass produced and expensive cartridge shaving blades with canned goo. However I do get annoyed when I see cost as a factor. Of course in the long term it would be cheaper to stick to one DE razor and use our favourite blades for the rest of our shaving life. Yes we would save hundreds, maybe more but this just isn't the case. Most wet shavers will buy multiple razors and several brushes as the passion unfolds. So what I am saying, is that in the majority of cases, wet shaving is not cheaper and sometimes a great deal more expensive than the cartridge and canned goo that the majority still use. Just despise that as a reason. We need to encourage new shavers to experience the real joy of shaving but for the right reason.

Those who stick around on shaving forums rarely save money. I'm testament to that. The two or three friends I know who DE shave have one razor, one brush, one cream, and probably buy blades a hundred at a time.

Money is definitely a factor... one only has to consider in which parts of the world DE blades are still made to realize that us modern "Western" shavers are only a small part of the picture.

If I said I went DE to save money I would be lying. My Ebay and Amazon purchases of accessories, contemporary and vintage razors are testimony to the contrary. Had I just stopped at a $15 Feather Popular and 100 count packs of Personna blades then yes, I would be saving. But that's not the case :)

Exactly. That is what I'm saying. How many of us can resist purchasing much more than we need. DE shaving is not going to save us money...at least for the majority!

Certainly the majority of posts have a certain euphoric, "this is the best/wonderful/amazing ...." tone which encourages trying new hardware and software.

However I have no doubt that there are large numbers of minimalists, who enjoy wet shaving and do indeed save money. I am not one of them - but do have minimalist themed shaves. :001_smile

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Last time I checked my son still had one brush, one razor and only Proraso.

Me, on the other hand . . .

Hobbies usually cost money. But it is an undeniable fact that the poorest men in the world are overwhelmingly DE simply because they cannot afford cartridges. If men without interest in shaving except for the most minimal routine stuck to the basics they would all save money. But the market for cartridges comes from the fact that most men value convenience, a quick easy shave, and feeling modern more than saving a few bucks a month.

Shaving gear is just a hobby like any other hobby. There are many people that would be completely content with one razor and one brush, but then they probably wouldn't be on this forum anyway.

Wet shaving can be cheaper, but none of us has any self-control.

I believe you have it wrong. When I shaved with a gillette fusion and a can of goo, shaving was a boring, expensive chore. Like so many, I returned to wetshaving after a 40 year hiatus because I hoped to change my daily shave into a boring, inexpensive chore. The fact that wetshaving has turned into a somewhat expensive hobby is not about the lack of self-control, but about finding joy in an otherwise mundane task. I have learned about saponification. I have learned about the mechanics of a slant razor. I have met people from all over the country - in fact from all over the world. Some of these people make soaps, some engineer razors, but they are all interesting and involved, and remarkably kind. Shaving used to be about removing the hair from my face; now it is so much more, and I am better for it.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.
― W.C. Fields

Last edited:
Hobbies usually cost money. But it is an undeniable fact that the poorest men in the world are overwhelmingly DE simply because they cannot afford cartridges. If men without interest in shaving except for the most minimal routine stuck to the basics they would all save money. But the market for cartridges comes from the fact that most men value convenience, a quick easy shave, and feeling modern more than saving a few bucks a month.

I believe you have it wrong. When I shaved with a gillette fusion and a can of goo, shaving was a boring, expensive chore. Like so many, I returned to wetshaving after a 40 year hiatus because I hoped to change my daily shave into a boring, inexpensive chore. The fact that wetshaving has turned into a somewhat expensive hobby is not about the lack of self-control, but about finding joy in an otherwise mundane task. I have learned about saponification. I have learned about the mechanics of a slant razor. I have met people from all over the country - in fact from all over the world. Some of these people make soaps, some engineer razors, but they are all interesting and involved, and remarkably kind. Shaving used to be about removing the hair from my face; now it is so much more, and I am better for it.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.
― W.C. Fields

Wonderfully stated.

Wet Shaving elevates the mundane into a wonderful hobby.

Converting to classic wet-shaving automatically allows for a massive increase in choices. I can't see any way for an individual to research this topic and not be exposed to the variety of razors, brushes, creams, soaps, croaps, blades, etc. This alone, easily sets the tone for acquisitions to some degree. The same could be said for carts and goo, but the choices are much more limited.

My guess is, those of us with "disorders" are very well aware of our purchases as completely conscious choices and are happy with those decisions. I haven't read very many members here stating anything related to saving money. If they did, it was naive and at the very beginning of their journey. NAIVE being a massive operative word!

P.S. - I am saving money on buying Gillette Edge Shaving Gel.

I'm getting closer to the point I may be able start "saving money". And the reason I put those words in quotes is because it will take many more years to amortize expenses incurred thus far.

I have experimented with approximately a dozen different razors and 5 types of blades on my way to finding stubble slashing Nirvana. I have one more blade brand on the way to test (believe it or not I've never used Astra's), and then depending on those results, I may be able to settle down for a while and actually "just shave" instead of plotting how to shave.

The problem is later on I'll read a post by some gent who thought he had the world's best combo until he tried X razor with Y blades, then I inevitably want to purchase X razor and Y blades for myself and there goes the budget :)

I just wanted a new brush for my Mach3/Williams Mug Soap routine.

Did some research on brushes, bought one. I also found out about "wetshaving" and the skin care that lies behind it. Fed up with ingrowns and irritation from cart shaving, I decided I'd go back to the injectors I started shaving with after college.

Found B&B and learned all about soaps and razor types. Bought some Cella and a Schick I2 on daBay.

I now own 2 brushes, 3 razors and have a 5-soap rotation. These will last me a long time...I believe I have my AD under control.

I believe in the long run, I will save some money (I was stunned to see what Mach3 carts are selling for), but the big benefit for me is better shaves, healthy skin, and the zen-like ritual of wetshaving. And the pleasure I get using a quality instrument that's 60, 70, or 80 years old.

And of course the camaraderie of B&B!

Cost can easily be a factor for many. Sure, one can become a hobbyist or collector and spend large sums. Or one can keep to simple basics and save money. The nice thing about wet shaving is that the amount of money spent is up to the individual shaver.

Its different for different people. When I first started wet shaving, I bought an Escalli brush, a tub of Prorasso Green and a soup mug from Wal-Mart. I already had a DE from way back, I think I paid $5 for it in an antique store butterfly Gillette for anyone wondering. I had well over 100 shaves just from that, and I still have 1/4 of the Prorasso left. I got into it because I got tired of constantly having to buy cartridges of overpriced Fusion blades.

So yes, when I started it was to save money and I did, and still am. But, knowing that spending a little more got much better results I didn't mind shelling out for extra soaps in different scents, because if you stick with the can its always gonna smell and feel like something from a can and you're severely limited on what you can buy. I only just recently got a better DE, and a boar brush. Still use the same mug. My story is a little different cause the past 8 years have been incredibly rough for me, and I'm a bit more conservative than most because of it.

But, I also think there is another side to why people switch. It usually starts out as wanting to save money, then becomes a hobby once they find out they enjoy it much more. There's also the fact that you're supporting a small business or a start-up instead of a faceless corporation. The feeling of knowing you're helping someone with a passion for what they do is 10 times greater than just going to the mall and buying off the shelf.

All that being said, I wish the way wet shaving is presented would change. Up until a few years ago it was mainly about saving money, but the artisan boom has changed that. In reality its still cheaper, by miles, in the long run if you buy one brush, razor and soap you will come out ahead. But that's just boring and nobody wants to be boring.

In the beginning I spent a lot of money, but I know I am comfortable with where my den is at the moment. Only thing I really want to get is the Maggard Razors Orange Menthol soap and aftershave.. The only razor I would budge for at the moment is a Super Adjustable in my birth year. In the last 3 months I think I have spent an equivalent of about a year and a half of carts for me. However most of the stuff I think will last 2 years or longer in supplies based on the rate I am going currently.

Top Bottom