What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Can anyone comment comparing their experience and preference with S1 vs S2?

I have both and both are great. I find that the S1 is for me gives a smoother shave while the S2 gives a closer shave. However, IMHO both are wonderful razors and quite honestly I can't say I favor one over the other.

I have a few more shaves now with my S1, and I think I'm really getting the hang of it. I have to say that I'm glad I didn't follow my initial reaction to sell it. It really is awesome.

I'm curious if anyone else can provide thoughts on how the H1/H2 plates compare to the S1/S2 (apart from the H being more aggressive, presumably). I'm still on the fence as to whether it'd be worth getting the Kronos with an H2 head, or just the Kronos handle on its own to try with my S2. DECISIONS!

A week's worth of shaves with my S2 and after using my R1 Kronos for more or less daily since last summer, I must say the S2 for me is smoother than my R1 but still more efficient. I always thought I'd get a smoother shave with R1 but not this time. Today I swapped the handle for a UFO red bronze (heavier than the Kronos handle) and I'm even more impressed with the S2 performance.
Here's a pic of my S2 with the UFO red bronze Tornado handle:
$P1000596.jpg

Last edited:
Me to used the R2 since they came out but the S2 is better
A week's with of shaves with my S2 and after using my R1 Kronos for more or less daily since last summer, I must say the S2 for me is smoother than my R1 but still more efficient. I always thought I'd get a smoother shave with R1 but not this time. Today I swapped the handle for a UFO red bronze (heavier than the Kronos handle) and I'm even more impressed with the S2 performance.
Here's a pic of my S2 with the UFO red bronze Tornado handle:
View attachment 545274

Anybody have the inkwell stand? How do you like it? Pics?

I have the stand and like it a great deal.
My pics wouldn't look any different than what's on the ATT site?
If you need a stand get it, top quality just like the razors!

Thanks,
Curt

I have both and both are great. I find that the S1 is for me gives a smoother shave while the S2 gives a closer shave. However, IMHO both are wonderful razors and quite honestly I can't say I favor one over the other.

Totally agree with this thought. The S1 is remarkably smooth. Feels like a very mild razor but shaves better than that . In the end I traded it back to Stan because it wasn't aggressive enough for me. The S2 shaves equally well, but is a tad more aggressive. For me the S2 feels like an M but shaves like an R. Great Razor.

Anybody have the inkwell stand? How do you like it? Pics?

I like the stand. I was surprised how heavy it is!

I had a problem with tea-staining in the hole where the handle goes. I think this came from putting my wet razor in the stand as I lathered up between passes. Now, I just lay the razor on the counter when relathering.

$sotd_12122014.jpg

I like the stand. I was surprised how heavy it is!

I had a problem with tea-staining in the hole where the handle goes. I think this came from putting my wet razor in the stand as I lathered up between passes. Now, I just lay the razor on the counter when relathering.

View attachment 545469

excellent. Thanks for the replies. I believe I'll be ordering the stand and leather travel case next month for my birthday. And though I'm extremely happy with my H2, I feel like I have to at least try the S2.

Can anyone compare the shave of the Atlas M2 to the Feather AS-D2? The latter is giving me great shaves, but I'm tempted to try an ATT. They just look so darn good...and I'm partial to open comb razors.

Well guys, I gave in: after a week of great experiences with my Atlas S2, I was too tempted to try a Kronos handle also, and then figured, hey, that H2 is probably gonna be a treat for me on weekends when I can take more time for a careful close shave. I just placed my order for a Kronos H2. I'll likely put the Kronos on the S2 and the Atlas on the H2. If the H2 goes well, I could see these being my two primary razors, with a NEW or red tip making an occasional appearance merely for pure variety!

Well guys, I gave in: after a week of great experiences with my Atlas S2, I was too tempted to try a Kronos handle also, and then figured, hey, that H2 is probably gonna be a treat for me on weekends when I can take more time for a careful close shave. I just placed my order for a Kronos H2.

But what about a Colossus handle? :lol:

I have been thinking about an ATT razor purchase for a while now, and after finally reading through all 38 pages of this thread, I’m getting close to making the investment. However, I do have some observations (from this thread) and some questions that could, perhaps, be addressed by some of you ATT users/aficionados.

One of the observations that I’ve noticed is that many people (not everyone, certainly), while extolling their fondness for the razor (whichever plate they got) and the resulting BBS from said razor, caveat it with a comment like, “with only a couple of weepers”, or “only one nick”, or “only slight irritation”, etc. This causes me to hesitate and wonder if perhaps this is not the razor for me after all. The reason I say that is because I’m the type of person that much prefers a DFS with zero irritation/razor burn/weepers, rather than a BBS with irritation/razor burn/weepers. I also seem to have a preference for “milder” razors (i.e. Gillette NEW LC bar handle, Merkur 1904, Gillette Flare Tip SS). The most “aggressive” razors for me are my Aristocrats (U.S. Aristocrat W1, and a British #16) which I think are very comfortable. (And my primary blade in all my razors is Feather). BTW, I shave everyday - because of work, and also, because I'd have to anyway.

Another observation (and a question) that I’ve noticed (and appreciated) is the comparison to other razor brands. It seems that most of the comparisons have been to the EJ89 and Weber; as well as to various Merkurs, and some Gillette NEWs. This has been useful information to me since I’ve used/use those. However, I don’t recall anyone inquiring how the ATT compares to a Gillette Aristocrat (whether US or British). I have to say that my British #16 is my “perfect” razor. So how does an ATT compare (shave-wise and weight/balance) to an Aristocrat?

Finally, amongst all my various razors, I’ve never tried a slant before. Would the S1 or S2 be a good “first slant”, or go more cost friendly with a Merkur 37C?

Many thanks in advance.

I've never had rash from my M1 Kronos. Nicks are infrequent (one at most). I get a CCS/DFS with two passes - one WTG then the second one XTG from jaw/chin and above and WTG on my neck.

I love the M1 in every way.

Finally, amongst all my various razors, I’ve never tried a slant before. Would the S1 or S2 be a good “first slant”, or go more cost friendly with a Merkur 37C?

I really feel you can't go wrong with the S1 or S2 head, as it's nicely efficient yet does not (in my experience) create any irritation and doesn't seem to nick unless you're just being foolish (as I still am at times). In other words, it's quite forgiving. It's also the first razor I've tried that cleans up my neck without leaving behind red blotches of irritation. That's something!

I have a 37C, but I'm not convinced of it yet. It feels a bit rough, and I didn't notice much difference in efficiency with it compared to the 34C. If it had remained the only slant I'd tried, I wouldn't have thought much of slant razors.

Keep in mind you can buy an S1 or S2 razor directly from ATT and if it doesn't work for you, you can return it within 30 days without any trouble. I suspect you'll like it, though.

Top Bottom