What's new

Help Buying a Stick / Immersion blenders

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm looking at buying my first stick blender. Main use will be soups.
SWMBO has wanted one for a while but as I have a bench top blender I have put this off while investing in other kitchen stuff.

A quick look shows that there are blenders, blenders with extra stuff like a whisk and jug etc.
As this is electrical I think that I can only buy what is available in NZ due to different power requirements.
I'm not sure if I want just the blender or one with it the extras.

So what type do you guys recommend, brand and why. Any other points most welcome.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I stole the neighbors immersion blend and don't intend on giving it back.:laugh: I love it. It's a Kenwood. I don't know if that's good, bad or average. Don't rule it out using it for mashed potatoes.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I stole the neighbors immersion blend and don't intend on giving it back.:laugh: I love it. It's a Kenwood. I don't know if that's good, bad or average. Don't rule it out using it for mashed potatoes.
A Kenwood is one of the ones I'm looking at. It is the same brand as my mixer.
http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-nz/all-products/blenders-mixers-and-meat-grinders/hand-blenders
what model is your "borrowed" blender?

I'm also looking at a Waring 7" Light-Duty Quik (Model: WSB33X) Waring is a commercial brand but this is not for light work only. So may be only as good as the Kenwood.
http://www.waringcommercialproducts.com/catalog.php?pcID=90

The Kenwood has more features and models to pick from. It also comes with a Tri blade. I'm leaning towards that at the moment.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
This is the Kenwood with all the extras. I think the wife would like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Cuisinart one that came with a whisk attachment. I rarely use the whisk, but I love the immersion blender. I use it for spaghetti sauce, soups, smoothies, and malts for the kids. One of the better small appliance purchases I have made.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I will follow this thread with interest. Sometimes a blender is more trouble than it is worth.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have a Cuisinart one that came with a whisk attachment. I rarely use the whisk, but I love the immersion blender. I use it for spaghetti sauce, soups, smoothies, and malts for the kids. One of the better small appliance purchases I have made.
I was looking at the whisk in the video and thought that looked OTT and may not get used.

I will follow this thread with interest. Sometimes a blender is more trouble than it is worth.
Putting soups through a blender works but can be a PIA. Blending it in the pot sounds like a great idea.

Last edited:
That Kenwood looks amazing, the Big Mama of immersion blenders. I do use a hand-mixer for egg-whites; I wonder if this Kenwood would do the trick as well.

About 15 or 16 years ago I bought a Braun stick/immersion blender. It came with all sorts of attachments one being a small food processor.

I will agree that the immersion blender is excellent for soups and that's what I mainly use mine for but I rarely make soups that require blending. Any soup that requires a food mill or sieve will be served excellently by an immersion blender. So for that purpose do get one. I am glad I have one for that.

That said I rarely use the immersion blender and mostly use the small food processor attachment. I have never used the whisk attachment (save one test application) as a hand whisk seems most practical in most situations I use one for. Also, to me, the whisk was much too forceful and messy (may be mooted by more modern incarnations).

In general I have a full food processor and anything of decent quantity goes in that (large family). It's easier to use, less messy and easier to clean up (all parts are dishwasher safe whereas all parts of the immersion blender must be hand washed).

So you'll have to weigh your frequency of use and convenience against the price. Choose your implement from there.

Chris

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have looked and found mixed reviews on the kenwood. Some say the attachments don't hold together after only a few months and others have had the motor pack out in the same time................next.

This one is not cheap but looks good. Bamix

Last edited by a moderator:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Whats the budget? :)
http://www.amazon.com/Robot-Coupe-BLENDER-IMMERSION-MMP190VV/
I'm a slave to the Robot Coupe. But they break budgets.

yip that's a budget breaker for me. They start at $1000 here in NZ. The same is cheaper on Amazon but then there is the power supply problem. Not to mention shipping plus due to it's price, it triggers import taxes.
http://www.burnsferrall.co.nz/Products?Brand=Robot Coupe

I don't have a firm budget but would like to keep the price down to sub $300 NZD / $223 USD

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Pity your power outlets are goofy ;-)
yeah you need to make them different when they have twice the output of volts.
NZ - Voltage: 220-240 Volts (U.S./Canada are 110-120 Volts) :001_rolle

edit: That may be why some online buyers are frying their motors on the Kenwood. Could they be made for a different market?

I also notice there is a Kenwood stick blender that looks the same as the one with all the bits but is 1.1kg heavier. Could that be a new model with better parts. To me weight can equal quality. 1.98kg to 3.1kg is a big difference. Same maker, same shape and size.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
yeah you need to make them different when they have twice the output of volts.
NZ - Voltage: 220-240 Volts (U.S./Canada are 110-120 Volts) :001_rolle

edit: That may be why some online buyers are frying their motors on the Kenwood. Could they be made for a different market?

I also notice there is a Kenwood stick blender that looks the same as the one with all the bits but is 1.1kg heavier. Could that be a new model with better parts. To me weight can equal quality. 1.98kg to 3.1kg is a big difference. Same maker, same shape and size.
But I bet the amperage rating of your typical outlet is lower.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
But I bet the amperage rating of your typical outlet is lower.
you could be right I think our standard domestic outlet is 10A.
All that aside you would need an power adaptor to use that product here. For a stick blender I think that would be a PIA.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
you could be right I think our standard domestic outlet is 10A.
All that aside you would need an power adaptor to use that product here. For a stick blender I think that would be a PIA.
Yep, ours is 20- that works out to the same power output.

I have picked up 3 Braun units at the SAVERS thrift shops for no more than $6 ea. They are single purpose units , no attachments. The last one I got is a variable speed, and it is the one I use the most. It has always done what I have asked it to do, and clean up is a snap. To clean all you need to do is run it in a pan of clean water, and wipe it down with a sponge. I am going to guess that they are 70's vintage from the avocado green trim. Definitely not made in China. You may want to look for a well built vintage unit. The crap coming out of China is disposable at best.

I don't use it that often, but when I do it is appreciated , as it is less hassle than doing several batches in the blender.

A quick power lesson. When voltage increases, amperage decreases. 20A on 120V will be 10A on 240V, and only 5A on 480V What will burn a motor up is the hertz being wrong. Here in the USA we run 60hz while Europe is 50hz. You can run a 50hz motor on 60hz with the voltage being correct. It will run a little slower, and cooler. The other way around though will burn up the motor. We found this out when I was rebuilding winery equipment in my machine shop years ago.

Consumer Reports recommends the Breville BSB510XL ... its a little bit pricey at US $100, but by no means is the most expensive one they tested. It beat out all other brands by a wide margin in the performance tests.
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BSB5...53&sr=1-1&keywords=breville+immersion+blender

I've never used one of these personally, but I have used other Breville brand appliances and they are top-notch. When I hit it big and build my dream kitchen, I hope to go with Breville small appliances all the way.

Top Bottom