What's new

Fifth Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge

I am in again for sure but I will do something a little different in that I will be going the cartridge route (Oh No!!! Gasp!!!)

The Gillette Sensor XL has been my mainstay when I use a cartridge (primarily for travel) but I have a new Schick Quattro Titanium that I would like to longevity test.

I completed last year with a lowly Gillette 7 o'clock SS (Russian Green).
It's a great challenge to push further and see what you can do with a blade.

I have seen this challenge come and go for years now and always felt sorry for the fools trying this for real. I consider a blade to have good stamina if I get 3+ shaves out of it before the butchering starts. But something happened; I found a razor and blade combo that lasts me 12 shaves, which is wááááy more than everything else I tried, so with me shaving every other day and february lasting only 28 days I really have a chance here. And I will take it!

Blade; the carbon steel Captain
Razor; the humble Lord L6

Lets get started!

I have seen this challenge come and go for years now and always felt sorry for the fools trying this for real.

LOL :lol:

Have you see the Excalibur longevity thread?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/431416-Excalibur-Club-Blade-Longevity-DE-SE-and-Injector

The February challenge started as a test to see if the Legendary Personna 74s would actually live up to the hype and last for a full month of shaves. But now, many folks are realizing that they can use just about any blade and get similar results. A few of us regularly get 30 days or more, all the time.

Yes, I know some people get extraordinary results, but if that is because of peach fuzz, half done shaves, masochism or the fact that this is all happening in another dimension, I don't know. I do know that if I push a blade too far my skin is really in trouble and my stubble still there. Don't talk to me about technique; that is pretty much covered after 25 years. The fact that I found a blade that actually delivers for 12 shaves is, after trying well over a 100 blades, a little miracle itself, at least for me. Pushing a blade over the limit is maybe nice for once but I also don't see the need for doing that every time; blades are already one of the cheapest parts of the shave and for me also one with the greatest risk. I came this road to keep my skin in one piece and see no advantage in playing with that.

@talibeard
No peach fuzz here. I found, after a number of shaves, I needed to add passes to maintain the same closeness.
I started with one pass and, by the end of the month, I was up to three passes to get the same closeness of shave once I pushed pass a couple days of uncomfortable shaves (around that week mark).

I think I used a Dorco last year, and I have a thick beard. I find it funny when I hear people say they can't get more than one shave out of a Dorco.

OK, I'm in.

I will be using a vintage UK Wilkinson Sword "Super Sword-Edge," following the trail blazed by Mick "Turtle" and Bosseb.

I hope and expect to use the blade every day in February, but I also hope to find out if I can eventually make it to 100 shaves on this blade, as Turtle did and Bosseb surely will.

I've gone 66 shaves on a blade (feather), but never 100. I wonder if I could pull that off as well? Also never tried those blades. Hmmm

I'll probably use the UK Wilkie Super Sword Edge, but I'm not sure which I'll use - stainless steel or chromium edge. Any difference?

I prefer the English Wilkinson Sword blades to the Personna P74 and I will be using one of my chromium edged Wilkinsons this year.

If you want to try a Wilkie, but do not have any in your stash, send me a PM. In return for any donation to the Saint Sue Moore fund (click on the "Donate" button on this page), I will send you two Wilkinson chromium edged blades. You pick the amount of your donation.

The Sixth Annual Challenge is nearly here!

Last year I went out at a measly 9 shaves! But for the past few months I've been paying extra attention to my prep- I went through a brief period where it seemed none of my hardware or software wanted to cooperate with me. I still can't put my finger on what it was, but as a result my prep is now better than it's ever been. And my blade longevity has increased.
I'm back in this year and expecting much better results. I ordered some Rapira Platinum Lux blades which should be here in plenty of time, so maybe one of those...or a Gillette Yellow, Black, Silver Blue, Polsilver SI....It'll be a 'game time decision' for me.

A very generous offer for a good cause, Dr Awkward. With all this talk I've been worried about an incipient bubble in English Wilkies (I have ten, that's all) but you're putting those speculative forces to good use :)

I'm In for this one! I always throw my personna blades out after one or 2 shaves because they dull so quick. The next week or so I'll be going through my random blade stock pile to see which one will do me best. I have a pretty good idea already the blade. And it's no doubt going to be wool
Fat February if I'm going to be trying this!

I'm In for this one! I always throw my personna blades out after one or 2 shaves because they dull so quick.

This makes me cry. Personnas are one of my longest lasting blades. I'm using a Personna for this February's challenge and I expect it to last well into March.

I think I'm in with either a vintage Schick or a 7o'clock black.

If I fail with the first I'll fall back to a feather as I've done 20 shaves on one before.

This makes me cry. Personnas are one of my longest lasting blades. I'm using a Personna for this February's challenge and I expect it to last well into March.
To each his own. I'm sure your techniques are much further developed. I'm still a newbie bud. Personna and feathers have been my favorite. But the personna always pulls after a couple shaves. I use the personna labs. I have some Israeli reds in route to see how they pan out. Also some polsilver super iridium. This month will hopefully change my way of thinking about blades. I always just want a new fresh sharp blade. Which type of personna are you speaking of?

Which type of personna are you speaking of?

I primarily use Blue Labs or the generic Platinum Chromes that are rebranded for sale at Military Exchanges, but I also like red IPs. They all perform pretty much the same for me. And new blades are always a bit harsh... In my experience (and others) these blades don't get really good until about shave 4.

Top Bottom