What's new

Does anyone know if this is a genuine Feather razor?

Not sure about the razor, but I did buy Feather AC blades from that seller without issue. I've never seen that razor before, curious what the screwdriver and screw are for. You may want to post in the straight razor section, might have more luck there.

I saw this on the bay and then I saw it or what looked very similar to it in a Japanese shave video from a barber shop.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...159261&alt=web - razor for sale

http://youtu.be/ccjDPinzlZ8?t=24m55s - video I saw the razor in

It is a lot cheaper than the AC line of razors and the seller says it uses feather blades.

Is this in fact a real feather product that we just don't get in the US or is it a Chinese fake? Also what is the screw driver for if anyone has ever used this thing.

FWIW, I've made a few purchases from that seller (expensive, but he does markdowns periodically) and have been very satisfied. I would trust that anything he sells is authentic.

Oh no I was sleeping. I was super schepticle because I couldn't find it on feather's website.

Oh well I bet someone from B&B grabbed it when I posted this. I wonder where the seller found 4 of them if they are indeed that old.

This is a genuine feather kamisori before they came out with the letters after the model (DX,SS, RG, etc). You might think it was fake because the Sam Seong razors from Korea are clones of this (and much cheaper) so if you wanted something like this, you might want to search ebay for that. The Sam Seong was my first straight razor that I bought after I graduated from my Personna hair shaper.

This is a genuine feather kamisori before they came out with the letters after the model (DX,SS, RG, etc). You might think it was fake because the Sam Seong razors from Korea are clones of this (and much cheaper) so if you wanted something like this, you might want to search ebay for that. The Sam Seong was my first straight razor that I bought after I graduated from my Personna hair shaper.
I totally thought it was fake. I did see the Sam Seong this morning and it made me chuckle. What is the quality of the Sam Seong and the CJB? They are so much cheaper then any AC razor even used.

I have purchased a razor from him in the past. If you watch his deals and wait for a "best offer" you can snag a bargain. Good guy to deal with as well.

I totally thought it was fake. I did see the Sam Seong this morning and it made me chuckle. What is the quality of the Sam Seong and the CJB? They are so much cheaper then any AC razor even used.

According to the guy that sells both on ebay, the Sam Seong got better quality control and overall is a better product. I owned both and both are worth the $35 you pay for them. Does not come up to the quality and build of the Feathers, but if you're looking to start into straight razor shaving with a kamisori design and disposable blades, these are good starts. Personally, I would spring for the extra $2 for the Sam Seong.

According to the guy that sells both on ebay, the Sam Seong got better quality control and overall is a better product. I owned both and both are worth the $35 you pay for them. Does not come up to the quality and build of the Feathers, but if you're looking to start into straight razor shaving with a kamisori design and disposable blades, these are good starts. Personally, I would spring for the extra $2 for the Sam Seong.
I am currently using a cheap shavette with half of a feather DE blade. I have been looking at upgrading to the feather dx or rg because I have heard a lot of good things about them. I just don't know if I want to plunk down that kind of cash on something and find out I would prefer a nice full hollow ground straight for the same price. I just liked the idea of stropless and hone free maintenance.

I am currently using a cheap shavette with half of a feather DE blade. I have been looking at upgrading to the feather dx or rg because I have heard a lot of good things about them. I just don't know if I want to plunk down that kind of cash on something and find out I would prefer a nice full hollow ground straight for the same price. I just liked the idea of stropless and hone free maintenance.

I know exactly what is going through your mind because I went through the same thing a couple of months back. I started with a persona hair shaper and then was thinking along the line of a Feather, but didn't want to take the giant step of spending $100-300 on one and so I got the Sam Seong which takes all of the feather and kai blades. It was worth the small investment for me to see if I liked that system. Eventually I did get a Kai Captain and a Feather SS and lately I been using real straights.

I like the feel and the variety of the real straights, but don't like the stropping and honing and constant maintenance and so now I am seriously thinking of going back to the feather disposable blade razors and my Hess 1010 which takes a full size Personna hair shaping blade.

I think either the CJB or Sam Seong would be a good cheap intro into the whole Feather/Kai world and you can go with a Gold Dollar as a good cheap intro into the regular straight razor world and really compare which you prefer.

I know exactly what is going through your mind because I went through the same thing a couple of months back. I started with a persona hair shaper and then was thinking along the line of a Feather, but didn't want to take the giant step of spending $100-300 on one and so I got the Sam Seong which takes all of the feather and kai blades. It was worth the small investment for me to see if I liked that system. Eventually I did get a Kai Captain and a Feather SS and lately I been using real straights.

I like the feel and the variety of the real straights, but don't like the stropping and honing and constant maintenance and so now I am seriously thinking of going back to the feather disposable blade razors and my Hess 1010 which takes a full size Personna hair shaping blade.

I think either the CJB or Sam Seong would be a good cheap intro into the whole Feather/Kai world and you can go with a Gold Dollar as a good cheap intro into the regular straight razor world and really compare which you prefer.
Is there an appreciable difference in the quality of the razors and the shave?

I only have the CJB, so I can't compare them for you, but it is a well made razor. Used it today in fact with a feather pro blade. It never fails to give a great shave. Well worth the few dollars you spend on it in my opinion.

Is there an appreciable difference in the quality of the razors and the shave?

People will all have an opinion on this, however in the case of a CJB or Sam Seong, look at them as devices to hold Feather or Kai blades and those are what gives you a quality shave. If you are starting out, learn the technique, get the feel of shaving and just practice. The Feather DX will come later after you decide that this is definitely the direction you want to go in. Main difference between the CJB and the Sam Seong is that the CJB loads and releases the blade by pinching the top (like the current Feather and Kai), the Sam Seong loads and releases the blade by sliding the plastic piece forward or backward (like the Feather you saw on ebay). Both systems hold the blade securely.

People will all have an opinion on this, however in the case of a CJB or Sam Seong, look at them as devices to hold Feather or Kai blades and those are what gives you a quality shave. If you are starting out, learn the technique, get the feel of shaving and just practice. The Feather DX will come later after you decide that this is definitely the direction you want to go in. Main difference between the CJB and the Sam Seong is that the CJB loads and releases the blade by pinching the top (like the current Feather and Kai), the Sam Seong loads and releases the blade by sliding the plastic piece forward or backward (like the Feather you saw on ebay). Both systems hold the blade securely.
Thanks that has been a great help. There are so many options. Life was simpler when all I had to do was pick between a bic and a mach 3. Sure my face was haggard and full of ingrown hairs,but I only had 2 options. Now I have thousands of combinations with blades and styles of razors.

Top Bottom