What's new

No guard DE?

Looking at all your descriptions, I need to desperately get my hacksaw out.
Yeah, game on!

Thinking about shavettes, I guess this will work well with razors which have a moderate blade exposure beyond the cap like my bakelite and 2013 R41, and the Rimei and Tech are likely candidates too (the guard will just snap off the Rimei using a pair of pliers).

The Yuma has a lot more blade showing and Cash_Stronomer has already taken a bullet for it, so let's see...
proxy.php

Last edited:
I imagine my cheek being ripped open. I would be more apt to try it if there was a sure way to tighten and loosten the cap without slipping off and severing your finger

One thing is sure - this will hone technique (NO PRESSURE) like nothing else.

Well, except a hair shaper shavette with a sharp blade ;-) Gives line dancing a whole new meaning!

Seriously, +100. Aggressive razors will teach the sensory perceptions for both pressure and angle to make the mildest of DEs more effective.

The way I got myself to stop catching my jawline with a straight was to shave away from the mirror, just returning to check work ... without the eyes, the connection between fingers (so, angle), blade and skin becomes so much more ... well, connected.

Typically what I do, is pair the Yuma with the base plate of an Old Type. Makes a very beautiful razor actually. And I do love the volume.
Old Yuma :thumbup1:
$20141223_102108.jpg

Subscribed.
I meant to try the no baseplate DE after the thread earlier this year but never got around to it.

So long as the blade is stable - and it should be as forces are pushing it against the top cap, it should be as safe as a shavette.

Pleased to say the guard of those super cheap Indian 7 O'Clock razors will also snap off really neatly just with a pair of pliers
proxy.php

And it fits the Yuma, so now I have an all-metal solution :)
proxy.php

Ah - that's better! I really like the Yuma with its OEM baseplate so don't want to hack mine up.

And in City Road Cardiff, Yumas are £3.00 a pop so maybe I'll stock up next time I visit my daughter at Uni.

Last edited:
Grrr ...
My "mirror finish" DE-vette is still in Texas, according to USPS. I doubt it will arrive by tomorrow, so I guess I will have to wait until Boxing Day. The wait is killing me!

The way I got myself to stop catching my jawline with a straight was to shave away from the mirror, just returning to check work ... without the eyes, the connection between fingers (so, angle), blade and skin becomes so much more ... well, connected.

I never thought about this, but it makes perfectly good sense. I might br trying this.

Yuma unsafety shave this morning
proxy.php

A great end result again, but nowhere near as comfortable as the bakelite and R41 devettes.

The extra blade exposure beyond the cap on the Yuma makes this much less smooth and I did get a couple of tiny weepers.

I've ended up with a fantastic shave again, but it wasn't the smooth pleasant experience of the previous two shaves.

This seems to work best (and that means amazingly!) with heads that have a small blade extension beyond the cap, which corresponds to my experience with shavettes.

But man, my face feels incredible again now!

Well, what can I say - you seem to have stumbled upon shaving nirvana. [emoji106]
I know - I'm shocked at how good this is! In terms of result, it's everything I want from DE, SE, str8s and injectors all in one go...oh no, getting carried away now :)

But we need lots more input and experimentation.

Let's hope Dr.Awkward's Stainless turns up soon!

In the meantime it will be very interesting to hear how others get on with different razor and blade unsafety devette combos...

Yuma unsafety shave this morning
A great end result again, but nowhere near as comfortable as the bakelite and R41 devettes.

The extra blade exposure beyond the cap on the Yuma makes this much less smooth and I did get a couple of tiny weepers.

I've ended up with a fantastic shave again, but it wasn't the smooth pleasant experience of the previous two shaves.

This seems to work best (and that means amazingly!) with heads that have a small blade extension beyond the cap, which corresponds to my experience with shavettes.

But man, my face feels incredible again now!

As much as I'd like to try it with a different razor, I don't really want to go breaking anymore. But I will get back to the Yuma again one day soon. Vicco seems happy about it!

USPS came through on Christmas Eve. The SS Mirror DEvette is here. I'm not planning to shave today, but tomorrow I will go for a nice, relaxing Christmas shave.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321595971397?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The razor stand, which is very useful for a razor without a guard bar, is incredibly heavy. The leather pouch appears to be made out of real leather. There are no markings on the razor at all other than the "BB" symbol. IOW, nowhere does it say where the razor and stand are made.

If I had to guess, I would say that the razor head is cut from very thick steel (maybe 2 sheets of steel forged together?), bent, polished, and plated with something (nickel?). However, my guesses about manufacturing are not worth very much. The holes in the "baseplate" are much bigger than the studs in the top cap, so there is a fair amount of play as you screw the two together.
The handle must be hollow because it is positively massive, but it only weighs 72 grams (which is still quite heavy). The whole razor weighs about 93 grams. For the sake of comparison, the Weber solid SS handle in the 3rd pic weighs about 68 grams.
Here are three pics. I used an old Gillette Blue blade to provide better contrast. The head does not fit straight on the handle, as you can see in the 2nd pic, because the cap curvature is not perfect. I might ask the seller for a replacement. The final pic shows razor next to my Weber bulldog handle.

$IMG_0604[1].jpg$IMG_0611[1].jpg$IMG_0616[1].jpg

Top Bottom