What's new

shavette user question

disclaimer: before replying pleasee note that YES I do know ymmv And YES I know sharpness of blade, blade choice thickness of beard, color of hair, ethnicities and the number of freckles vs moles you have varies from person to person. as well as what you ate that day changes the complete molecule structure of your hair, and you should not shave for an hour after you go swimming, Or is it before?

here is my question..... how many face shaves do you get per blade before changing it or do you guys change it every time?

DE blades, 2 shaves

Kai/Feather system blades; around 6 shaves.

I have a medium density & coarseness beard, my skin can be a bit on the sensitive side.

DE half - 2-3
Weck-compatible - 5-6
Dovo - Yet to find out
Feather - Dunno ... sold it on as I just didn't like it
Durham Duplex - 3, then strop prior to each shave and another 3-4

Half DE's I get 3-5, depending on which brand I dropped in.
Feather/Dorco blades for the Feather AC/CJB I get 5-7.

Thank you guys i was only getting two also and i thought i was doing something wrong, or worse yet I might have been being wasteful.

Thank you guys i was only getting two also and i thought i was doing something wrong, or worse yet I might have been being wasteful.

Don't concern yourself on that. As you've seen, a few others only get 2, some of us push a blade to 3, but you figure at the high end, a DE blade is $0.25, you use half of it, so call it $0.13... While I don't like being wasteful, once you start looking at numbers like that... don't stress it. :)

I'd say 10+, with a DE or Feather. But I'm hard headed, not hard whiskered.

that said, I dont "push" a blade past it's life. I can put up with some tugging. Improved technique and low angles with light pressure seems to have extended the life on them as I've used them.

I think my Feather SS may have 20 on it currently, but I don't count. I put down my Universal a long time ago and need to sell it. Not because it's bad, I just like the SS so much more, when I do reach for a shavette instead of a straight.

Last edited:

I find that the blade edge is much more important on the shavette than a DE. I can use a Gillette 7 o'clock SS for a month in a DE - but it's a 1shave edge in the shavette.

If you want support or justification: consider the number of DE razor users that bin a blade in less than double the time you bin a half-blade.

This really is a YMMV and its up to you to determine if it's comfortable.

DE blades 6 shaves (but only with my prefered blades: Feather/Iridium/Polsilver/Personna)
SE blades 15 shaves (Feather Pro and Super Pro, Kai Mild, Dorco)
I have a heavy fast growing beard (can easily shave twice a day)

I use a wide variety of different DE blades and get 1-2 shaves per half blade or 2 shaves if I'm using a shavette that takes a full DE blade.

I don't push it. To me it's all about comfort. A sharp blade is fewer passes, less irritation.

I shave every day so minimal to moderate - stubble coarse grey beard

I can get three shaes out of the half DE's in a shave (currently working off 100 Derby Extras ).

The Artist Club Pro blades by Feather go a lot longer in my SS shavette. I get about ten shaves out of them and
could push a little further but I don't.

A Weck with Fromm blades gives me a bunch of shaves, (15-20?), and you can always stropp for more.

For reference, I usually get 5-6 shaves out of an Astra blade when I use a DE.

Sextoblade:
Fromm Teflon Coated, 8
Weck Carbon Steel Shaper blade, with stropping, 18
Weck Sextoblade with stropping and honing on a barber's hone, 12 and counting.
Personna SS, with corking, stropping, 2 and counting. Sharp. Ouch.

Top Bottom