What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

Thanks to all for the kind words. I've enjoyed doing the PIF, the time I've spent in this thread and all of the messages I've shared back and forth with many of you. As a result of this thread I've traded lots of soap samples, read some great reviews and met some really great people. My only regret is that all of you couldn't win.

I'll get the soaps in the mail tomorrow and look forward to the reviews like everyone else.

Thank you,

Adds

I have not heard back from Jason yet, so I am going to pick some high numbers that I don’t think anyone has used yet, and I will send them to him.

I have run my additions by Jason, and another former participant, and they seem to think my additions are adding some nice diverse value to the box. I will be curious to hear the reviews as the box moves forward.

In the meantime, here is a quick review of what I think they are like:

#500: A shaving soap made by one of our hobbyists. It is a soap maker that I recently found and makes wonderfully slick soaps. I found it great for my straight shaves. The main scent I get from it is Lime, but there is another scent there. I don’t want to give too much away…

#501: It is a shaving soap that is relatively new on the market, but is a product that has impressed me with its performance – especially at its price point. It has a nice soft sandalwood scent in the container that blooms a little more when lathered, but not a ton. Therefore, it is a nice soap for those who don’t like their soap scents to stick around all day or interfere with their colognes.

#502: This soap maker is quickly taken every time it has been added to the box. It is a soap that is really slick and many, many people praise it highly for its post shave feeling. The scent is a bit warm woody scent that has a touch of sweetness to start. I also pick up a bit of spice. The scent is strong, unlike #501, so if you are look for a soap that is lighter on scents, this is a soap that you may pass by. If you like scents, this soap packs it all: scent, slickness, performance and post-shave face feel.

#503: A soap maker I really like and found recently. They have been around for a long time and are great for the forum. Also, they make some affordable soaps that are nice and slick with great scents. This is a “cologne” type scent. I say that not meaning that it is super strong, but that it reminds me of cologne. I smell the lemon, bergamot and sandalwood the most in it. The different scents are mixed quite nicely.

Rob, thanks for this. I really like it and am thinking about altering the rules for the third pass (oh yes, a 3rd pass will be happening) to mandate this. I think it serves a couple of purposes. The first is it keeps us accountable, but more importantly, I think we all want to tell everyone a little bit about what/why we chose to contribute what we did. Plus I'd love to know as well.

Thoughts?

Rob, thanks for this. I really like it and am thinking about altering the rules for the third pass (oh yes, a 3rd pass will be happening) to mandate this. I think it serves a couple of purposes. The first is it keeps us accountable, but more importantly, I think we all want to tell everyone a little bit about what/why we chose to contribute what we did. Plus I'd love to know as well.

Thoughts?

I did it with my adds and I like it. It gives more clues for those of us playing at home. It also keeps people putting nice things in the box because they have to tell why they like the soap their putting in. I dated my soaps as well and ask that others do the same as this will help us easily see what's been in the box for a while.

For the third round maybe also implement some kind of a running checklist of the soaps in the box that we have to sign or mark off to keep things from disappearing. When I got the box I had no idea what was actually supposed to be in it. You just see a bunch of numbered soaps so there's really no way to tell if anything is missing. I found out only from messages with other members that things were missing that should have been there. A checklist or log would stop theft because it would be obvious who took something. It's really sad that we have to do this as I thought that this forum was exempt from this type of thing but with two separate incidents where things have gone missing unfortunately it may be necessary.

I've got a nice leather bound journal I never got around to using that would make a nice soap ledger. Be kinda cool to see what other things people find to write in it as well. Maybe a themed quote contest for each pass.

I've got a nice leather bound journal I never got around to using that would make a nice soap ledger. Be kinda cool to see what other things people find to write in it as well. Maybe a themed quote contest for each pass.

It would be cool to see what everyone wrote as time went by.

Yeah, I followed David's lead by doing a review of my additions. I also dated my soaps, again taking his lead.

The journal would be an interesting idea.

Wholeheartedly in support of this idea! SWMBO doesn't want me getting any more soap...but she'll forget about that by the time round three gets to me. :p

Thoughts?

Jason, When I sent you the pic and descriptions of my adds I didn't think to describe my reasoning to the group in addition to you so I'll do it now.

Note: I mistakenly used the number 321 for my first add. It was already used earlier in the pass. Maybe someone could write "#321A" or some such on the container for the benefit of those playing along at home.

#321(A) I thought this soap had been off the market for 6-10 years or so, and was delighted to find it available again. It is without a doubt the slickest soap I have ever used and it has a very unique, distinguished scent. Did I mention that the scent was unique? It will be great pick for the right person.

#322 Haslinger Schafmilch, which was chosen by shubes at the first stop after it was added. I thought it would be interesting for someone to compare it to MFW. It is always feels like an honor when somebody chooses one of my adds.

#323 This is from a very well-established firm with a long tradition and rock-solid reputation. I'm always surprised by who hasn't tried what I think of as "standards" and I hope its inclusion introduces people to this solid performer who, for one reason or another, haven't had a chance to do so yet. My goodness, I would have never tried Cella or Tabac soaps if not for the first and second passes of the box.

Last edited:
Lane,

So you're seriously telling me that the $6 Rustic Shaving Soap is as good as the $70 French, hard to get, sample only soap that's aged for 9 months in the jar and is regarded as one of the very best soaps on the planet?

My first question would be are you sure you are properly lathering the sample soap. I've seen people rate the sample soap lower only to realize once they figure it out that they were doing it wrong. When lathered properly the soap is quite impressive.

I haven't tried Rustic soaps but if it's actually that good maybe I should.

Anyway, if you could share a more detailed review I'd love to hear more about it.

Yes David, I am telling you Rustic Sandalwood is that good for me, and so good as to give me very similar experiences. The Rustic has the added bonus of not being $70.00 and the advantage of being readily available and easily obtainable.

Is a Steinway an exquisite, hand-crafted piano? Yes. Are there other, equally exquisite pianos worthy of playing? Yes. Do they also require a second mortgage if you wish to purchase one? Sometimes, but not always.

In the end, you buy a piano to play, not to argue over whether screw x is better than screw y in piano z. You buy the instrument that has a tone that stays interesting to your ear and that your ear doesn't tire of in fifteen minutes. Same with shaving soap.

Yes, I'm quite certain I am lathering the MdC correctly. I have been wetshaving for more than 30 years now, having started with a mug and brush as a boy. I am not rating the MdC low from lack of lathering experience. In fact I am not rating it low at all. What I am dong is rating the Rustic soap very high.

Regards

Last edited:
Yes David, I am telling you Rustic Sandalwood is that good for me, and so good as to give me very similar experiences. The Rustic has the added bonus of not being $70.00 and the advantage of being readily available and easily obtainable.

Is a Steinway an exquisite, hand-crafted piano? Yes. Are there other, equally exquisite pianos worthy of playing? Yes. Do they also require a second mortgage if you wish to purchase one? Sometimes, but not always.

In the end, you buy a piano to play, not to argue over whether screw x is better than screw y in piano z. You buy the instrument that has a tone that stays interesting to your ear and that your ear doesn't tire of in fifteen minutes. Same with shaving soap.

Yes, I'm quite certain I am lathering the MdC correctly. I have been wetshaving for more than 30 years now, having started with a mug and brush as a boy. I am not rating the MdC low from lack of lathering experience. In fact I am not rating it low at all. What I am dong is rating the Rustic soap very high.

Regards

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I started reading other's reviews of it after your high praise. It looks like I have another soap to try now.

Thoughts?
I think it's a fantastic and fun idea. :thumbup1:

Just wanted to let you all know that my package arrived from David today. XX and Son of Zeus meticulously packaged and labeled (I think David has a bit of OCD), plus a few tucks of blades thrown in for good measure. I'll let you know what I think after I get a chance to use them. Thanks again, David!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415833676.396660.jpg

Just wanted to let you all know that my package arrived from David today. XX and Son of Zeus meticulously packaged and labeled (I think David has a bit of OCD), plus a few tucks of blades thrown in for good measure. I'll let you know what I think after I get a chance to use them. Thanks again, David!

View attachment 518150

You're very welcome. I'm guess I'm guilty on the OCD thing as I really do like those labels and have them on almost all of my soaps.
I'm glad they made it to you and look forward to your reviews.

I decided to try the XX first, since I've read that some people like it better than XXX, which I recently purchased and have really been enjoying. I found the scent of XX in the tub to be nice, but not as strong as XXX. I loaded my wet Omega 49 for almost a full minute, which was definitely more than I needed. I started whipping up the lather in my GP G20 scuttle and slowly adding some water. Not sure if I needed to, but I've been working on making less airy lather lately. I quickly ended up with a nice full bowl of thick, creamy lather. The scent seemed to grow a bit as I lathered it up, but still not as strong as XXX.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415880692.613258.jpg

I went ahead and did my standard two-pass shave with some cleanup on my neck and cheeks with my Gillette Slim and a new Gillette Silver Blue. The XX provided a nice slick and protective base that gave me a close shave with no irritation at all. Splashed on some Fine American Blend and my face feels great. All in all, I'm very pleased with this soap. Typical RR performance and a really nice scent. Thanks, David!

View attachment 518352

I decided to try the XX first, since I've read that some people like it better than XXX, which I recently purchased and have really been enjoying. I found the scent of XX in the tub to be nice, but not as strong as XXX. I loaded my wet Omega 49 for almost a full minute, which was definitely more than I needed. I started whipping up the lather in my GP G20 scuttle and slowly adding some water. Not sure if I needed to, but I've been working on making less airy lather lately. I quickly ended up with a nice full bowl of thick, creamy lather. The scent seemed to grow a bit as I lathered it up, but still not as strong as XXX.

View attachment 518351

I went ahead and did my standard two-pass shave with some cleanup on my neck and cheeks with my Gillette Slim and a new Gillette Silver Blue. The XX provided a nice slick and protective base that gave me a close shave with no irritation at all. Splashed on some Fine American Blend and my face feels great. All in all, I'm very pleased with this soap. Typical RR performance and a really nice scent. Thanks, David!

View attachment 518352

Nice review and some really nice picks. The lather in the first pic looks outstanding, very well done there. I did like the XX soap but I just liked the XXX better. If the scent of this one was stronger I might have kept it in my rotation. I did enjoy what scent was there but I think the weak scent was a big part of my decision to keep XXX in my rotation and let the XX go. It sounds like it found a good home now and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cool stuff, dgreene! Question for you: do you ever face lather? I ask b/c I've found it's much easier for me to make my lather too airy when I bowl lather than when I face lather.

Top Bottom