What's new

Badger: The absolute softest tips possible?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I've used a number of brushes now that have a lot of scrub, often with at least a little bit of scritch to go with it. I'm starting to go on a "softie" kick lately, though, and I'm looking for ultra soft brushes. Right now, I'm leaning toward a Thater because of it's reputation for super soft tips and because it's a great price for it's quality level.

My question is: What are the most soft and gel-like tips you've ever had on a brush? What would be softer than a Thater 3-Band? What else should I consider? Floppy or dense isn't as much a factor as the softness of the very tips of the brush. What's the softest there is? And do I need to spend more than the Thater budget to get them? And if so, by how much?

Thanks, all! There's always a ton of great advice here when I ask questions so I look forward to your answers.

Softest tips? Thater 3-band, hands down. Savile Row rivals it. Both are softer than my Shavemacs and Thater 2-band. Keep in mind, we're talking nuances here - all are soft tipped. Now, if you want to save a considerable sum of money, try a Vintage Blades Brand or a Whipped Dog first.

I'll echo the comments above, though my Thater is a 2 band, the tips are INCREDIBLY soft. My Savile Row Silvertip fights for the spot of softest tips in my den. Using them blindly, I don't think I could tell them apart. Either would be an excellent purchase.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Softest tips? Thater 3-band, hands down. Savile Row rivals it. Both are softer than my Shavemacs and Thater 2-band. Keep in mind, we're talking nuances here - all are soft tipped. Now, if you want to save a considerable sum of money, try a Vintage Blades Brand or a Whipped Dog first.

I've read many good things about the Whipped Dog but I'm fine with splurging on a Thater or something similar. I'm only hoping not to tread too close to 200 bones.

I've read many good things about the Whipped Dog but I'm fine with splurging on a Thater or something similar. I'm only hoping not to tread too close to 200 bones.

Not sure what size knot you're after but my SR. with a 22mm silvertip knot wasn't much over $100

I like soft badger, and I love my Whipped Dog Silvertip, 22 x 50 mm. It was a restoration job, and the job is great and the price was more tan reasonable.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Not sure what size knot you're after but my SR. with a 22mm silvertip knot wasn't much over $100

I'm primarily looking at a 3 Band 4125/2, so a 26mm. I have a couple of badgers in 24mm and I want to try something slightly larger.

I'm primarily looking at a 3 Band 4125/2, so a 26mm. I have a couple of badgers in 24mm and I want to try something slightly larger.
I had a Thäter 4125/2 but traded it for a razor.

I now have a Shavemac silvertip ordered as a 23/53 mm knot. It measures very close to 25/53 (all Shavemacs are measured at the glue base and very full stuffed!) and it has the exactly same softness but slightly more backbone than the Thäter. IMHO it is a better face latherer than the Thäter.

You can also have my favorite handle, the octagonal from Shavemac!

Shavemac knots: 2 band D01 (in Rudy Vey LE 2014 handle), silvertip D01, silvertip and finest​

Last edited by a moderator:
The softest tips you're going to be able to find on a brush is going to be this one, which is the same hair that was in the Badger & Blade limited edition finest silvertip from 2006 which came in faux horn (pictured below) and ebony. If you go on the hunt for one - make sure you get the finest model, as we did a standard silvertip and a finest silvertip that year at the same time. They're marked accordingly on the brush. You might be able to pick one of these up on the B/S/T.

Alternatively - PILS "High Mountain White" shaving brush (Stainless steel brush pictured below) has incredibly soft tips as well... I just compared it side by side with a Thater, and for me, the Pils is noticeably softer.

Lastly - Kent is widely know for producing some of the softest tipped shaving brushes around. They can be pretty floppy, but if you can snag one of the B&B Limited Editions (the model shown below - or the 2008 model) they're a lot denser and have a shorter loft - so a nice backbone, yet lusciously soft tips that get softer with use.

Last edited by a moderator:
proxy.php

This is really something...

I have the standard Mühle 21 mm silvertip and for being a poor cousin from the countryside to the one above it is certainly extraordinary, although almost forgotten!

Unfortunately I have to report that the Kent current offering is not even close to the legendary butterscotch above, but still a nice brush.

proxy.php

This is really something...

I have the standard Mühle 21 mm silvertip and for being a poor cousin from the countryside to the one above it is certainly extraordinary, although almost forgotten!

Unfortunately I have to report that the Kent current offering is not even close to the legendary butterscotch above, but still a nice brush.

Really? When did Kent take a turn?

Really? When did Kent take a turn?

When they changed the source of badger to the present one, the same as WSP uses.

I have a write up about some brushes here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/397957-Big-brushes-shootout-(pic-heavy)

The Kent BK8 is in my rotation and it does work very well as a face latherer still. It's just not the wonderfully soft and marginally floppy wonderfully soft brush that it used to be. Some things actually were better before...:001_rolle

Not doubting you - but where did you hear that? That sounds odd... having worked with Kent in the past and knowing they had used the same supplier for decades, it seems odd they'd switch.

While I don't have a thater, I can say the 2 softest brushes in my collect are without a doubt my B&B Kent (Orange one pictured above) and my Savile Row 3124.

Not doubting you - but where did you hear that? That sounds odd... having worked with Kent in the past and knowing they had used the same supplier for decades, it seems odd they'd switch.

I'd also be very interested to hear more about this.

I heard from the owner of Wetshavingproducts - they have the same provider. I asked him about the knot they supplied to my Geoff Anderson custom and he told me in a mail that they had the same supplier.

I have also noted that the my newish BK8 is a lot firmer than the older versions. My Thäter and Shavemacs have softer tips also.

Top Bottom