What's new

Semogue 830 problem!

+1
I have the Semogue 620, baby brother to the 830 I think and have only had it for about a month. Have been using it with Cella soap, Proraso Green cream, Speick cream all bowl lathering and have had great results. I even used it for a week straight with no days off. I just use enough product and have pleanty left over in the bowl for 2 passes (all I need for the OC) and 3 for the CC.

YMMV

I think it's just a matter of wetness and how much you load. I can easily get 4 passes out of the 830 with lots of soaps. I use stirling, mystic water, barrister and man, cella, razorock classic, Mitchell's wool fat, mikes natural, htgam and tabac. I'm not going to say I've never had to reload my brush but it almost never happens.

My first observation is that your brush may not yet be fully broken-in, and that could account for some of your problems. You've only used your brush for the equivalent of less than a month daily lathers. Also, it is imperative that you allow your brush to fully dry between uses to hastening the splitting of the tips. I would caution patience, as some Semogues simply take a very long time to achieve their true potential.

As for additional advice, I would suggest experimentation with two techniques. I personally prefer the Marco Method with my Semogues (using a very wet brush to build lather - see link.) Others have had luck starting with the opposite, using a very dry brush and adding water very gradually. Regardless, I would load the brush heavily, until there's at least a soapy paste on the tips of your bristles.

Also, don't forget to soak your brush at least a few minutes before use. I've noticed that a boar that has not been saturated tends to "eat" my lather between passes as it absorbs the water.

Good luck!

i agree. My 830 took approx 30 shaves to break in. The outer bristles may split, but look at the bristles in the center of the brush. They didn't start splitting until after 30 shaves. Now my 830 lathers like a champ and I finally feel what others have raves about this brush being super soft.

Ill try to reply to all users.
Regarding soaps: yes, Im using arko. Same result as with cella.
Im trying with dry brush, with Marko method, with medium water quantity. Same result. After first pass, aprx 5-10 minutes, on brush I can see lather, but inside is empty.
Tomorrow i will do marcos method with arko. Hope, after some months result will be nice

How long do you load? When using wet method I load a full 60-90 seconds. The brush starts to expand out and it fills up entirely.

Hrm. I don't know then. I haven't had the same experience. Perhaps it's a soap issue. I tend to use Stirling soaps, barrister and Mann, and Mitchell's wool fat the most. I own several brushes but I use the 830 at least once a week and it almost always goes four passes.

I tried two Semogues, and sold them both. In my 30+ years of wetshaving, I have not yet encountered a brush that was so ill fitting with my lathering technique (I guess) as my two Semogues. It seems like they are not for everyone.

I won't say that they are bad brushes, or that something is wrong with them, because there are also huge fans of the brand. YMMV!

I haven't tried the omega pros yet because I didn't like the cheap plastic handles. The first semogue brush I owned was an 1800. I've since pifd it on. I own the 830, the le cerda and the mistra. I love them all but I find the cerda to be the best performing of the bunch.

I haven't tried the omega pros yet because I didn't like the cheap plastic handles. The first semogue brush I owned was an 1800. I've since pifd it on. I own the 830, the le cerda and the mistra. I love them all but I find the cerda to be the best performing of the bunch.

You could try this Omega then: (the Pro 102)

proxy.php

In my experience, the Omega knots are very different from the Semogue knots.

Alternatively, you might want to try the wooden Omega 11137, if you want to test drive an Omega brush.

My girlfriend bought me a 11126 And it is my least favorite brush. I did however get the b&b essential yesterday and I loved jt during my test lather. I need to break it in and actually use it but it's very nice. Is that brush you just linked wood on the bottom and plastic on top? I don't really like the black ring but otherwise it looks nice.

My girlfriend bought me a 11126 And it is my least favorite brush. I did however get the b&b essential yesterday and I loved jt during my test lather. I need to break it in and actually use it but it's very nice. Is that brush you just linked wood on the bottom and plastic on top? I don't really like the black ring but otherwise it looks nice.

It has, which is why I also recommended the 11137. That has an all wooden, nice looking imo, brush handle.

Btw, nobody says that you have to like those Omega brushes! :wink2:

(absolutely nothing wrong when you prefer Semogues!)

Nah. I don't like them but if the knot on the b&b essential is anything to go by I think i love THAT. Time will tell. It depends on how it feels broken in. I love restoring old brushes so i may just make my own omegas

just came from bath
today i used 830 with arko. good presoaking (30 min), dry brush loading aprx 60 sec and face lathering. first pass lather.was super, thick, cushiony. after second pass i see lather on brush, but inside of brush was empty. so, i loaded again my brush aprx 10 sec for each 2nd and 3rd passes.
i dont know, how much time it will take to have good perfomance, but im really fed up with this situation

Having some of the same issues.

I have had to make changes in my technique for boars. With silver tips, horse, and synthetics I put a bit of water on the puck and soak it and the brush while I shower. I pour the water into my mug as I am a bowl latherer and shake the brush really dry. I load the brush and the lather is great.

With the 830, I do not put the water in the mug, I give the brush one good squeeze and load the brush for a minimum of 60 seconds. Lather in the mug and add water if necessary.

Boars are hard for me to figure. For me in first place are the badgers, tied for second is my Muhle synthetic and my vie-long horse hair, and the Semogue is, for now, a distant third.

Boars are hard for me to figure. For me in first place are the badgers, tied for second is my Muhle synthetic and my vie-long horse hair, and the Semogue is, for now, a distant third.

I have a lot of experience with boar brushes (various brands), and Semogues are different. Don't discount boar brushes completely because you dislike one brand, I would say.

I have a lot of experience with boar brushes (various brands), and Semogues are different. Don't discount boar brushes completely because you dislike one brand, I would say.
I agree. I actually like the brush but it is tempermntal when it comes to lathering. Today I learned a lot about it and I think it has all to do with the amount of water used and when you use it. It is certainly a different technique compared to badgers. It's actually sort of fun trying to figure out its idiosyncrasies. At least for now.

Top Bottom