What's new

New Kindle announced

The new Kindle Voyage has been announced and is up for pre-order on the Amazon website. I personally think that $199 entry fee is too steep and probably borderline ridiculous for a single purpose e-reader. I'm enough of a gadget whore that I'm sort of tempted though I can't get past the price tag; I mean I can get a custom Shavemac D01 for less. I guess I'll have to "settle" for reading on my PW2.

I'm still using my first generation Kindle with the keyboard. I never use the keyboard but the screen is perfect. If I decide to ever upgrade it will be to the basic $79 Kindle. I'll save my money for other purposes.

I love my Kindle Touch and want to get a Paperwhite, so I hope it stays in the lineup. I have zero interest in a $200 reader which is why I didn't own one until the Touch.

Oh and I had to laugh when they said "page touch" is "new". The first two or three generations of Kindle had page buttons on the side which I prefer to tapping.

Still using my 1st gen Nook here. A built in light would be nice, but that's my only complaint about it. I plan on using it until it completely wears out. $200 for this is definately steep

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
one reason I always disliked Kindle is you have to pay more to get it "ad free".
No thanks, I will just not get one at all.

one reason I always disliked Kindle is you have to pay more to get it "ad free".

I bought a paperwhite w/ads for my son a few weeks ago and I guess they must have been out of those because they sent him one w/o ads. Cool!

Mike

The ads aren't actually that intrusive. The screen saver is an ad and there is a small banner at the bottom of the "library" page. No pop-ups or anything in the text. OK trade for $20 cheaper imo.

An iPad is my tablet of choice, but Kindle has a wide variety of tablets for just about anyone - from book reader tablets to full-featured computer tablets. And the price is very competitive, and a range of screen options.

Pressure based turn sensors with haptic feedback
that's a push button, sounds like some engineer created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

not sure what the advantage over the paper white other than it has a light senor and it can adjust the light level automatically.

I can say my sister prefers a dedicated e-reader to a tablet for that purpose. I think her choice would be something like a paperwhite. Just for the tally books, what is supposed to be the up side of this new model? I thought the paperwhite was supposed to be kind of the one reader that ruled them all? I am not trying to be cute with that question, I just don't get the whole $200 e-reader when they are introducing tablets at $100.

I can say my sister prefers a dedicated e-reader to a tablet for that purpose. I think her choice would be something like a paperwhite. Just for the tally books, what is supposed to be the up side of this new model? I thought the paperwhite was supposed to be kind of the one reader that ruled them all? I am not trying to be cute with that question, I just don't get the whole $200 e-reader when they are introducing tablets at $100.

Rock Chalk Phog! I too wave the wheat ( its a Kansas round ball thing for those uninformed :001_rolle )

Here is my take on the Kindle. I have owned two - the original and now the Paperwhite. In addition I have a MacBook Air and an iPad.
I have always had a book or two with me and read two to three hours a day outside of business, so a dedicated device is not a big deal.
The Paperwhite was a huge improvement over the original Kindle in terms of functionality and ease of use. In looking at the Voyage, I am intrigued with the resolution, lighting and a few of the new features. Will I run out and buy it for $199 - not at this time as I don't feel the differences are enough to push me over the edge. Now in 6 months if its in the $150 range I might consider it. To me if its easier on my older eyes and a touch more functionality it would be a likely buy but not now as I am pleased with the Paperwhite.

Rock Chalk Phog! I too wave the wheat ( its a Kansas round ball thing for those uninformed :001_rolle )

Here is my take on the Kindle. I have owned two - the original and now the Paperwhite. In addition I have a MacBook Air and an iPad.
I have always had a book or two with me and read two to three hours a day outside of business, so a dedicated device is not a big deal.
The Paperwhite was a huge improvement over the original Kindle in terms of functionality and ease of use. In looking at the Voyage, I am intrigued with the resolution, lighting and a few of the new features. Will I run out and buy it for $199 - not at this time as I don't feel the differences are enough to push me over the edge. Now in 6 months if its in the $150 range I might consider it. To me if its easier on my older eyes and a touch more functionality it would be a likely buy but not now as I am pleased with the Paperwhite.

Well said John. That's kind of where I'm at with the new Kindle and what I was trying to get across in my OP but didn't word nearly as well. That said, if the initial reviews are overwhelmingly positive, that may push me over the edge as well.

While I'm not getting a Voyage either (have a first gen paperwhite) if the increased resolution means that in-book maps and the like can finally be displayed clearly and legibily then I much get one. Some increased horsepower to allow for easy jumping back and forth to said maps would also be appreciated :p

Please don't compare an e-ink device to a LCD tablet, like EVER. The screen readability in sunlight and order of magnitude longer battery life alone totally seperate the two devices WRT reading ebooks. I can't imagine any hardcore readers perferring a tablet over an e-ink device unless there are substantial other considerations in play (like lots of color illustrations, pdfs, etc)

I have the original Kindle Touch and like it a lot. I would consider jumping to the Paperwhite at $119 but only if my current one broke and I would definitely never pay $200 for a dedicated ereader. That's just crazy! The moderate increase in specs between Paperwhite and Voyage does not justify another $80.

I am strongly considering the Voyage. I have owned a 2nd gen Kindle (now the wife's), a first gen Fire (now my mother's), and a Paperwhite (currently my e-reader).

The Voyage is a nice looking device, though like many have said, it doesn't appear to offer a vast improvement over the Paperwhite. However, SWMBO is really wanting an illuminated e-reader and she gave me the go ahead to purchase either another Paperwhite or the new Voyage.

While I don't feel any need to upgrade from the Paperwhite, I may just take the plunge. I didn't feel any need to upgrade from the 2nd gen to the Paperwhite, but now that I have it I would never go back. Maybe the same thing will happen again. Whenever the page turn rate and contrast increase, even marginally, it really improves the overall experience of using a Kindle.

Top Bottom