What's new

Preferred whisky glass?

I need to upgrade my drinking vessels as I upgrade my taste in whisky.
Glencairn? Cut glass tumbler? What's the verdict on the best? Does it depend if I'm drinking a single malt neat, or splashing over rocks?

inquiring mind wants to know.....

Cut glass or lead crystal are elegant. I have some vintage glasses from a flea market that I like. Some gents use a glass that is akin to a snifter. Slight bulge in the belly and a top that has a smaller diameter. This allows you to swirl the whiskey to release the aromas.

I've both the Riedel and the Glencairn glasses. Both are very nice and open up the whisky, but I find that I use the Glencairn glasses more. The Glencairn glasses feel more substantial in the hand than the Riedels. Not bulky, just firm in the hand.

The Riedels feel delicate and fragile. I just worry about busting them while washing.

... I can get to a full 50-degrees-falling-asleep-tilt before spilling anything out of a Glencairn glass, too.

Legion

Staff member
proxy.php

This one, of course!

This one might be second... :blush:

proxy.php

Depends on the quality of the booze.

I think I'm leaning Glencairn. My dad used to have something similar - though smaller and less bulbous.

I appreciate all your input!

Prefer the Glencairns ( And that b&b one was beautiful!) Glencairn glasses is what the distilleries themselves serve their whisky in. And aslo the drunken tilt resistance built into those glasses speaks volumes to their usability. ;0)

StAndre

A lot has already been said but I still want to add my 2 cents.

The Glencairn glass is probably the best overall glass in terms of functionality, durability, and value. I use mine often and I like that it has a heavy base which means that it isn't easy to accidentally knock over. They are also very inexpensive and so even if it takes a tumble and happens to break, it isn't a big deal. I find that it works fairly well for tasting and very well for nosing.

My personal favorite glasses for whisky happen to be some stemmed riedel cognac glasses, which sadly are no longer in production. I believe they are rather similar to the current riedel whisky glasses, excepted they are stemmed and the flair on the lip is steeper. They are very delicate and hence I really only use them for serious tasting, not for everyday drinking.

The difference between a highball glass or tumbler and a glencairn is enormous. The difference between the glencairn and anything else out there is much more subtle and each one has its strengths and weaknesses. To babble more, having a flared lip directs the spirit more towards the back of the tongue, which is advantageous in some ways, but the flare also reduces the concentration of nose that one receives in a tulip glass. The Reidel cognac glasses attempt to achieve a balance between these two aspects. But again, they are considerably more expensive than the glencairn and way way less durable, so if you have glencairns thats about 90% of the way to perfection.

Here is my cabinet and my glassware.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410821140.641261.jpg

These are my two favorite glasses for drinking scotch. I'm not sure what the style is of the Glenlivet glass. It's like a Glencairn without the base. (Any help?) but it is a much sturdier glass so I use it more often. I always feel like the Glencairn glasses are going to shatter in my hands because they are much thinner.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410821319.897990.jpg

There are also the Glencairn Canadian Whiskey glasses for those that don't like to pour often View attachment 496154

Here is my cabinet and my glassware.

These are my two favorite glasses for drinking scotch. I'm not sure what the style is of the Glenlivet glass. It's like a Glencairn without the base. (Any help?) but it is a much sturdier glass so I use it more often. I always feel like the Glencairn glasses are going to shatter in my hands because they are much thinner.
View attachment 496232
I like that broad base look...

Top Bottom