What's new

Ralf Aust

Oh man I'm so excited. I just ordered my 5/8 stainless razor from him. Just talked to him personally to make sure it's exactly what I wanted. I can't wait to shave with this for years to come and hand it down to my son when it's time. Pictures to come as soon as it arrives.

I've also been looking at the Ralf Aust line of razors. I don't read or speak german. I have a difficult time trying to use his website. Did you order directly from his website or through another vendor.

Last edited:
I have a 5/8 plain Ralf Aust. I just love the simplicity of the looks. Part two. I have limited experience shaving with a straight, 2 months, I shaved last night with it after having it honed by gssixgun. The closest, most comfortable shave my face has known. If not for the cut on my upper lip it would have been BBS. lol. Can't wait to find my next Aust.

Happy Hunting: I'm still looking for my first Ralph Aust. I waited to long and the 7/8 blades were all sold out from SRD.

I emailed him directly to get exactly what I wanted. I speak enough German from living over here for the past 3.5 years that it's manageable. It looks like he has quite a few 7/8 blades, what scales do you want? I'm sure if you wanted a specific setup he could make it, I know mine is one of a kind :)

I have sold quite a few SR's. Usually sell the ones I don't like. The Ralph Aust 6/8 I sold was a mistake. I don't know what I was thinking but I will be replacing it with a 7/8 if I can find one

I've also been looking at the Ralf Aust line of razors. I don't read or speak german. I have a difficult time trying to use his website. Did you order directly from his website or through another vendor.

I emailed Mr. Aust directly and in English. I told him exactly what I wanted and he communicated his understanding back to me clearly. It was no problem at all ordering from him. I received a beautiful razor: 6/8 square point with olive wood scales.

I emailed Mr. Aust directly and in English. I told him exactly what I wanted and he communicated his understanding back to me clearly. It was no problem at all ordering from him. I received a beautiful razor: 6/8 square point with olive wood scales.

Could you post a photo? How does it shave? Did it require any touch up sharpening after you received it?

Did you send your email to the company website address.

Could you post a photo? How does it shave? Did it require any touch up sharpening after you received it?

I will post a photo in a bit. I shaved with it as it was...maybe I stropped it a bit on leather...can't recall, exactly. In any event, the razor arrived shave ready. I've since messed up the edge while teaching myself to hone, but that was all my fault. I'm in the process of bringing it back to shave ready.

$photo 1.JPG$photo 3.JPG

Last edited:
SRD is just a reseller. If you email Ralf directly he can make anything you want. I think it's about the same price too.

I will post a photo in a bit. I shaved with it as it was...maybe I stropped it a bit on leather...can't recall, exactly. In any event, the razor arrived shave ready. I've since messed up the edge while teaching myself to hone, but that was all my fault. I'm in the process of bringing it back to shave ready.

View attachment 489911View attachment 489912

I think I have 10 Austs by now; as you can imagine, I am very pleased with them.
Three came via SRD, the rest either direct from Aust, or I picked them up on trips to Vienna, Austria (from Esbjerg in the downtown pedestrian area).

Aust razors seem indeed to be shave-ready, I have had no problems shaving with them right out of the box.

Contacting Mr. Aust by e-mail seems to be the way to go, as I had little luck getting him to answer the office number, but e-mails were always answered within one working day.
Maybe understandable, who would want to be interrupted by phone calls when one is grinding a new razor??

Currently, I am awaiting the delivery of two Micarta 6/8 Austs; one round, one Spanish point.

Just thought I'd add some eye-candy on here: one 6/8" and one 7/8" Ralf Aust, rescaled in vintage Mk32 ivory scales.

proxy.php

Top Bottom