What's new

Ralf Aust

I am curious too about the grind and steel source and composition.

That's easy.
- They're full hollow ground.
- Given that there's only one single drop-forge left in Germany (in Herkenrath), he uses the same blanks as those used by Revisor, Dovo and Wacker. Note that Wacker used to be sitting on a pile of old blanks, but I read somewhere his old stock is depleted which means that he now has to use the Herkenrath blanks. So I couldn't tell you about composition, but basically it's the same as all other German produce these days.

That's easy.
- They're full hollow ground.
- Given that there's only one single drop-forge left in Germany (in Herkenrath), he uses the same blanks as those used by Revisor, Dovo and Wacker. Note that Wacker used to be sitting on a pile of old blanks, but I read somewhere his old stock is depleted which means that he now has to use the Herkenrath blanks. So I couldn't tell you about composition, but basically it's the same as all other German produce these days.

Interesting, decraew. If one pines for the olde days and ways of the steel, they must seek solace in the vintage razor. Of course one should have the modern too.

I have me eye on the 7/8 American point. I wonder if SRD will restock them. They look a lot like the Filarmonica 14s.

Last edited:
$IMG_8305.jpg$IMG_8297.jpg

Here is the pictures...finally. Man life has been crazy.

I also picked up a Tony Miller strop and have had my ShaverJoe brush for awhile now. I love this setup, next thing I need is a 10k+ hone and I'll be set (already have a 400, 1k, 5k).

Here my Ralph Aust with customized italian maples scales, I bought just the blade from Mr. Aust for about $130. The wood is coated with a natural varnish linseed oil based.

$DSC_6641.jpg$DSC_6647.jpg

It's not that bad - just click on headings and you'll get the idea of his product range quickly. It's a few dollars cheaper to buy from the website versus SRD, but that might be offset by shipping costs.

Top Bottom