What's new

The "King" Cobra Classic Tour

These are Ben74's custom handles.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408820044.759072.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408820054.520591.jpg

Last edited:
Love the look of the razor with those handles but hate see them knowing that I will never be able to get a handle like that for mine.

Wow, those custom handles are incredible! They match well with the head and I'm sure they have quite a bit of heft.

I've enjoyed everyone's feedback so far and am looking forward for my go.

It's here.... It's here..... IT'S HERE!!!!!

Just got back from my daily walk to the post office....

I'll toss in an unopened 20 count of Feather Pro when I send it off just in case someone does not have a artist pro blade to use in it when it arrives. I'll put it in one of my velvet bags too, so that it is a little better protected (and loved).

I'd love to chat some more but I gotta go shave!!!!!

proxy.php

Shaved last evening with the King Cobra.

I've shaved exclusively with the Cobra Classic for the past 10 days since returning from vacation so I have a good grasp of the original model for the comparison.

I thought at first I would jump back and forth but once started I stuck with the King for the entire 4 passes + cleanup pass.

First impressions:

The handle is icky feeling to me. Too much roughness. I never get my hands wet or soapy so, for me, the need for an uber grippy handle is unnecessary and a distraction.

First N / S pass I found I was holding the razor just below where the head attached to the handle and even though it shaved nicely this way it seemed awkward but that may change over the next 6 days/shaves.

Ear to nose (2nd pass), nose to ear (3rd pass) and S / N (4th pass) were all very pleasant as the large handle rested nicely when held horizontally and inverted. The size and feel of the razor in the hand during these 3 passes was very similar to what I feel using the Vision which is an over sized handle razor which makes it my favorite DE razor.

I know that I whined a bit about the shape of the Classic model when it first came out but over the past two years that I have owned the classic model I have become accustomed to the odd feel in my hand so this new model is now the odd feeling razor of the two, at least for the first use of it anyway.

Shave was BBS perfect as I would expect it would be with a new Feather Pro blade. Not sure I will have any whiskers by this evening to cut down but I'll lather up and "pretend shave" anyway as I want to get a good feel for the razor as time goes on.

I wanted to put out my first impressions before I forgot them as first impressions are important and set the stage for a final judgement.

SOTD pic from last evening:

More to follow as the week progresses

proxy.php

Last edited:
List updated. Please see the first post in this thread for requirements of participation, and contact me if interested in joining the list.

CONUS List
turtle (shaving)
Mojo88
sgtd
warhawk
JeffBr
xxvaleria
Monsieur Blaireau
TripleG
intotheforge
cpacamper
Haggises
mielbadger
dfoulk
Moondoggie

International List (Uncertain if it will happen, but accepting names)
celestino
targa88
StuMcB
Snuff-Belgium

Last night's shave was a little more convenient as I start to become accustomed to the razor weight and length.

Did not "choke up" on the handle for the N/S pass this time. Allowed it to rest in the center with my "pinky" finger holding up the weight from under the base of the handle.

Still nice holding it horizontal and inverted. A longer handle is always nicer when holding razors in those attitudes.

I could get used to this razor easily. Nice, well made tool. It always takes a couple of shaves to become accustomed to any new shaving tool

proxy.php

Last edited:
Wow, those handles are gorgeous & go very well with the King Cobra. That's one obstacle overcome. Maybe the price will moderate somewhat down the road so more may have an opportunity to experience this nice razor.
Vic

The evening got away from me yesterday so I shaved this morning.

I could live with this razor. It is good safety bar platform for the Artist club blades :yesnod:

proxy.php

Another hot day today so it was a cold water shave using La Toja cream and my NOS 200-4 barber handle boar brush. This LONG bristle brush is killa for bowl lathering creams. You don't paint it on, you slap yourself silly with it :yesnod: Great enjoyment and thick cushy lather.

Oh yea about the Cobra.... Behaved itself admirably. As I have said, this is an easy "sure fine" razor. I think anyone would be happy shaving with it once they got used to the odd sticky feeling handle and the balance.

proxy.php

I have become very used to the King. Getting as fine a shave with it as I do with the Cobra classic.

I decided to switch up a bit this evening by swapping out the Feather Pro for a Dorco Barber blade.

All I can say is WOW, these are some fine blades :yesnod:

Sharp and smooth, effortless shave.

Anyone on the tour tried the Dorco Barber's blades yet?

proxy.php

I have become very used to the King. Getting as fine a shave with it as I do with the Cobra classic.

I decided to switch up a bit this evening by swapping out the Feather Pro for a Dorco Barber blade.

All I can say is WOW, these are some fine blades :yesnod:

Sharp and smooth, effortless shave.

Anyone on the tour tried the Dorco Barber's blades yet?

proxy.php

Not on the tour but have a Cobra and King and I am not aware of the Dorco blades. Where are they available at? I might like to try them.

Not on the tour but have a Cobra and King and I am not aware of the Dorco blades. Where are they available at? I might like to try them.

There was a B&B member who was able to source them but it has been a while.

AFAK they are not available in the US, at least they weren't when I tried to get some.

Got on a 1 blade PIF a while ago which got me searching

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...r-Feather-AC-and-clones?p=4323849#post4323849

Can't find the post or remember the B&B member who sourced them in Korea (it's been a while... year or more maybe)

Top Bottom