What's new

Best Strops

Hey Guys,

I just shaved off my beard with my Geneva Cutlery, and I'm happy to report not a single nick was had that day. I wish I had taken a video for you guys, but what's done is done. Now that I'm going to be shaving my entire face, rather than just lining up the beard and mustache, I'm curious as to what people think are the best strops. I have a good no-name strop I bought off of ebay, but I'm looking to acquire another one. What makes a good strop and what are good strop brands?

Best,
Danny

I'm new to this as well but maybe research some of these as they seem to be some of the highly thought of manufacturers (in no particular order):

Neil Miller
Tony Miller
Kanayama
Scruppleworks
Walkin Horse

I just ordered a Kanayama myself.

My strop is actually where I've spent the least amount of money. I've only bought one before- I only have unlimited shaving soaps/after shaves- three brushes, and five or so straights in the rotation. A good strop should last forever, so I don't think price should be too much of an issue because I'd only buy one.

And thanks David for that list! I'll check all of them out!

I have a Tony Miller and it is a beauty. Tony is an artist. I'm still new and afraid to use it. If funds are a little tight I would pick up a Star Shaving Big Daddy. This is what I'm using right now.

Not just what brand but what leather? Latigo, Kangaroo, English Bridle, Horse Hide, Cordavan? Once you pick your leather you can pick your maker.

I own three strops (maybe four, don't have enough time with the fourth yet to say) that I could use every time and be happy.

Ambrose Spanish HH (Not made anymore, Only chance of ever getting one would be a WTB in BST. I don't think many were made, it was one of his first strops if not his first strop, I heard he couldn't source the leather for any further runs.)
Dubl Duck Shell Cordovan (Not made anymore, can be found in usable condition on eBay for ~$50-100 depending on condition)
Kanoyama #3 ($105)

The fourth is an unusual finished vintage shell, Stamped "Natural Shell: With that fine, silky 'DRAW' " It's odd in that it's clearly skin-side leather, but the finish gives it a very subtle suede-like draw. Haven't seen one before, not sure who made it. Model 588-X, labeled "Barber and Beauty Supply".

Long story short: Getting a vintage in good enough condition to use can take some waiting, and has its risks, rarely are pictures good enough you can be sure the strop is as good as you think it is. I recommend the Kanoyama. If you want to gamble on eBay vintages once you've already got a daily strop, then feel free. I wouldn't recommend it for a first good strop.

Great list of super-premium strops. If you have a tighter budget, take a look at Star Shaving, Whipped Dog, Fromm/Ilinois Strops and others. I found a vintage shell strop on eBay, but I had a dud first. It can be challenging to assess condition via photos.

I'm new to this as well but maybe research some of these as they seem to be some of the highly thought of manufacturers (in no particular order):

Neil Miller
Tony Miller
Kanayama
Scruppleworks
Walkin Horse

Before you buy a nice strop, which you absolutely should do, make sure you are comfortable with your stropping technique. You don't want to cut a nice one. Even then, you're likely to have an accident one day so it's good to have a backup.

I have Tony Millers and a Kanayama. You can't go wrong with either but I would happily take a Neil Miller strop or a Scrupleworks as well.

Neil Miller
Tony Miller
Kanayama
Scruppleworks
Walkin Horse

Where have I seen that list before? :thumbup1: I have strops from all of those makers and they are all absolutely top shelf! Much depends on what exactly you want and personal tastes of course. When you step up to a premium strop from a premium strop maker you have to be ok with the idea that it is at least partly a luxury purchase. There are tons of reasons to pick out any of the above makers, but I will list some of the ones that affected me personally.

Neil Miller - Visually stunning work! The very best of Old World British craftsmenship! Every detail finished to perfection from choice of hardware to the cutting of the leather. The availability of Horween cordovan shell. Has been the king of stropping leathers for over a hundred years.

Tony Miller - (no relation) A perfectionist and a fine Christian gentleman to boot. Could charge twice what he does and still have more business than he could keep up with! Supports B&B with his time and his efforts. Not unusual to see him pop in here to answer questions. I even saw him recommend other strop makers work when he was ill and unable to make strops. Doesn't get much classier than that!

Kanayama - A Japanese maker that has a fascinating history. Does his own tanning and finishing and produces a strop that feels like no other. For lack of a better word the stropping surface feels creamy. In truth I am not in love with the hardware, but oh boy that leather!!! It also weighed on my decision that these will not be available forever. He is a vigorous gentleman, but his lifetimes worth of knowledge is not being passed down.

Scruppleworks - A newer strop maker, but with a real sense of history. You can see his determination in his work. Nothing less than great leathers and genuine flax linen finished to exacting standards. Offers a multitude of options and if none of those suit you he is very obliging to custom orders. Just beautiful work! Stitching, handles, hardware, everything done very well! Worth noting that when Tony was asked "if I couldn't have one of yours whose would you get" he mentioned Scruppleworks.

Walkin Horse - Leather perfectionist! Won't produce a strop unless he can get the quality of leather that he is after. This decision costs him money, but he sticks to principals. When great leathers are available Walkin Horse is making strops, otherwise they won't be in stock. I have a shell cordovan and a split side from Walkin Horse. If it wasn't great I would have never bought twice.

Others will have dozens of reasons on why this one or that one, but I thought I might be of some help here. All of course will do the job of stropping your razor to perfection, but these were the "extra" reasons I pulled the trigger for premium quality.

A big part of the question 'which strop' is what type of leather. Some strop makers only use certain types of leather or perhaps only one. So after the material is chosen, then you can choose the actual strop maker.

My suggestion on material would be horse hide (not shell but the actual hide from a horse's butt). A piece of vegetable tanned horse hide and a prep strop such as linen, although some folks seem to really like genuine canvas, and you would be good for a lifetime.

Walkin' Horse makes an excellent horse hide strop but the owner's attention is not on the stropping business and so supply is spotty and very few are made at one time even when they are being made. Someone like Neil Miller in the UK will put together a horse hide strop; it ain't cheap but as I said, it will last forever. And horse hide puts the finest, sharpest edge on a razor of all the strops and material types I have tried.

Kanoyama strops are unique and really quite beautiful. They are made of horse but not the hide, instead the material is the membrane under the hide called 'shell'. Mr. Naomi, who IS the company 'Kanoyama' is in his 80's and there is no one to pass the company onto. A Kanoyama #3 is just over $100 and I cannot imagine anyone not loving one of these. I have not found they will put quite as sharp an edge on a razor but they are the most pleasant strop to use that I know of and horse shell is extremely tough and again would last a lifetime.

Unfortunately all horse products are somewhat expensive. Most of the strops on the market are some type of cow hide (really steer hide but hey....). English Bridle is very inexpensive but makes an excellent strop and is really quite tough. Split hide (the inside of cow hide) is also quite popular though it will not last as long as a top leather (the outside of the skin such as English Bridle).

I would suggest checking around, perhaps starting with Tony Miller in the US and see if he will make you a horse hide strop w/ linen or canvas pre- strop. If that does not work, I believe Neil Miller will make such a strop but being in the UK, it will be considerably more expensive to buy and ship.

Or just do what some of us do and buy one of everything. :)

Brian

Hey Guys,

I just shaved off my beard with my Geneva Cutlery, and I'm happy to report not a single nick was had that day. I wish I had taken a video for you guys, but what's done is done. Now that I'm going to be shaving my entire face, rather than just lining up the beard and mustache, I'm curious as to what people think are the best strops. I have a good no-name strop I bought off of ebay, but I'm looking to acquire another one. What makes a good strop and what are good strop brands?

Best,
Danny

Brian, any ideas on Walkin' Horse English Bridle (which appears to be in stock)?
I know steerhide doesn't get as much love as horse hide, but the few pieces I found suggested English Bridle as a good middle ground.

Before you buy a nice strop, which you absolutely should do, make sure you are comfortable with your stropping technique. You don't want to cut a nice one. Even then, you're likely to have an accident one day so it's good to have a backup.
I was over ~300 shaves in before I nicked my strop for the first time. The nick wasn't bad and very close to the hanging end of the strop. I was able to repair it invisibly with CA.

Just sayin', that being comfortable with your stropping does not make you immune to making mistakes. As long as damaging the strop wouldn't be an absolute disaster in your mind, I would not hesitate to just buy the strop that you want right off.

Brian, any ideas on Walkin' Horse English Bridle (which appears to be in stock)?
I know steerhide doesn't get as much love as horse hide, but the few pieces I found suggested English Bridle as a good middle ground.

Not sure which Brian you meant, but I will take a shot. English Bridle is a quality stropping leather and is extremely durable. About as close to maintenance free as you can get. Draw is usually on the faster side. As far as leathers go horsehide has always gotten more love than steer hide. With that said I would not shy away from quality steer hide. My TM steer hide is a wonderful strop!

The response to my question has been pretty incredible. It sounds like if I'm going to be fancy I might as well get a horse hide/shell strop. I've never cut my strop before, and I don't understand why it happens. Maybe I'm not stropping properly? When do people nick their strops? I lead with the spine from one end to the other, flip over the spine, and then head back- all in an x pattern.

I'm thinking right now either a Kanayama, Scruppleworks, Walkin Horse. I'll take a peek at what the Millers have to offer as well. I've been googling these names and they all lead back to B&B (what a surprise).

When do people nick their strops? I lead with the spine from one end to the other, flip over the spine, and then head back- all in an x pattern.

In my case, I was using the full length of the strop and on one stroke I felt too close to the hanging hardware to flip without risking hitting the edge on the hardware. My instinct was to slide back away from the hardware before the flip, doh! The whole thing happened very quickly and involved no rational thinking. It resulted in a very superficial nick that was easily invisibly repaired, but as I said this was ~300 shaves in, and I was very confident and comfortable with my stropping though obviously a bit complacent.

http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/

http://www.scrupleworks.com/strops.html

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/strop-for-razor.html

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Razor-Strops-Hones_c_109.html

That will get you started in strop hunting. You are correct! In my not so humble opinion cordovan shell is the king of stropping surfaces. It is also hard to find and a bit on the expensive side. It is not even close to being a necessity, but as a purely luxury and decadence purchase I love mine! For this kind of money though you really do want to know that you have your stropping down. I nicked my strop several times when I first started out. Always happened on the flip for me. Thankfully the nicks were on a latigo strop and latigo is tough durable and mistakes sand out invisibly.

Top Bottom