What's new

Thoughts on new Gillette Flexball

My opinion, the downside of these cartridges is the extremely tight tolerances and that they get so easily gunked up. Especially with a shave soap that does not rinse fully and with dead skin if you use a lot of pressure while shaving. I'm using very little pressure, a quality shave soap that rinses fully, and giving the cart an alcohol bath afterwards to rinse out debris. Even so, I still cannot see more than 4 or perhaps 5 'clean' shaves per cartridge. Yes, I know there are guys who are pushing these to 10 or 20 uses. In my mind, it's not worth the potential for irritation, plus I have so many other DE, shavette and straight options waiting in the rotation, that replacing a cartridge once in a blue moon is no big deal. Agree, however, that if I were shaving with it every day and on the tighter budget of my earlier days, it might be a different issue.

Thanks for your update.
I may be in the minority but I never had a problem with gunk or irritation with recent carts. However, I didn't get enough good shaves for the cost. After about 6 shaves there was too much drag and potential for a problem. The only thing I really liked about the carts over the old Gillettes was the pivoting head. I've been shaving quite a while so that really doesn't make a lot of difference.
If this model doesn't somehow increase the quantity of good shaves per cart it goes to the collection for occasional use.
I think the article had some salient points. If Gillette was smart they would make an improvement rather than repackaging old technology.

Gillette, as well as some other makers, have committed themselves so totally to the multi-blade approach that they are unable to revert back to selling something as simple as the Gillette Guard in the First World. It would make them appear as idiots (or snake oil salesmen) as well as send profits spiraling into the ground as the profit margin is microscopically smaller. They are choosing to ride the tiger lest they fall off and be eaten. IMO, the market is ripe for someone to offer a clone of the Gillette Guard here in USA & Europe as it would literally kill the market for multi-blade razors. Gillette could hardly counter with negative claims lest they appear fools. I wish I had the capital & connections as the market is ripe for a giant killer.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Gillette, as well as some other makers, have committed themselves so totally to the multi-blade approach that they are unable to revert back to selling something as simple as the Gillette Guard in the First World. It would make them appear as idiots (or snake oil salesmen) as well as send profits spiraling into the ground as the profit margin is microscopically smaller. They are choosing to ride the tiger lest they fall off and be eaten. IMO, the market is ripe for someone to offer a clone of the Gillette Guard here in USA & Europe as it would literally kill the market for multi-blade razors. Gillette could hardly counter with negative claims lest they appear fools. I wish I had the capital & connections as the market is ripe for a giant killer.
Boge; The Gillette Guard is available at West Coast Shaving.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I ordered the Gillette Guard off the bay. $4.61 shipped for 4 cartridges and handle. From India but the shipping was actually pretty quick. Came sooner than I expected

And yes WCS does have it - but not free shipping. So unless you have $80 worth of goodies or need it ASAP then go to the bay.

There are cheap (under $5.00) plastic knock offs of pretty much all Gillette safety razors on the bay. I ordered one but the shipping is a month out.

I think it would do well on the shelves of a major retailer. Considering the MicroTouch One has surpassed expectations.

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the AoS demo and the only spot I liked it was my upper lip. Everywhere else I get a better shave with my safety razor. Nice free stuff though for trying!

Have you shaved with the Guard?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like straights. I think that shaving with a strait is superior to shaving with a safety razor.
Don't do it myself yet but my hat is off to strait shavers, and hobos I like hobos any one who can criss cross the country and live ruff like that I admire.

How did we miss this post? I laughed for like 10 mins. I feel like I'm reading a Dwight Schrute quote

Gillette came up with some amazing razors for decades, but there's limitation on how "advanced" you can make a razor. It's sad the company feels it has to resort to this kind of product to survive.

I wish they'd just market nice DE blades.

Gillette came up with some amazing razors for decades, but there's limitation on how "advanced" you can make a razor. It's sad the company feels it has to resort to this kind of product to survive.

I wish they'd just market nice DE blades.
Same thoughts here.
As far as I am concerned the limitation was hit in early 90'. Maybe 1992, no later.

Boge; The Gillette Guard is available at West Coast Shaving.

Have you shaved with the Guard?

Yes, I bought a couple last year from WCS and it is IMO the best disposable razor on Earth. I gave one away to a buddy who raves about it as well. I enjoy it as a travel razor or a "I'm running late" razor, however I love DE shaving and all the rituals involved. One pass & a touch up with the Guard gives me a DFS.

Perhaps Gillette could save face if they introd the Guard here and called it their "economy" line. I just don't see how they can keep the Genie in the bottle.

Yes, I bought a couple last year from WCS and it is IMO the best disposable razor on Earth. I gave one away to a buddy who raves about it as well. I enjoy it as a travel razor or a "I'm running late" razor, however I love DE shaving and all the rituals involved. One pass & a touch up with the Guard gives me a DFS.

Perhaps Gillette could save face if they introd the Guard here and called it their "economy" line. I just don't see how they can keep the Genie in the bottle.

I suspect that they have kept a lid on it for four years now the same way that most people don't even know that you can still get a modern DE razor and blades. The shaving market is a low information market, people don't do a lot of research and only know what is advertised to them and what they see at eye level on the shelves.

Top Bottom