What's new

Alum block, yes? no?

I don't use an alum block. Styptic pen for weepers and nicks, and a good alcohol based aftershave will give me all the "feedback" I need about the quality of my shave. And I'm gonna use that anyway.
To each his own.

I use my alum block after every shave. It has helped greatly reduced my acne.

Note- I don't know much about Aluminium toxicity with its use, but do know that it can transmit Hepatitis C. So it would be advisable not to have it used on you at the barbershop.

I had a roommate who used to use alum blocks for cold sores in his mouth. A loud scream would always follow the alum block being swiped over the cold sore, but he said it always worked to get rid of them.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm mostly a splash user and, at the end of the shave, a good barbershop lotion is all I like to use. However, occasionally I like using mositurizing balms and when I do I always use an Alum block before.

My mom used to make us put powered alum from the spice cabinet on those little ulcers you get after eating acidic foods. Wet a q-tip, dip in the alum, and rub it on the ulcer. It hurt, and tasted, like hell but it seemed to work... And I'm still alive today 40 years later :001_tt2:

My mom used to make us put powered alum from the spice cabinet on those little ulcers you get after eating acidic foods. Wet a q-tip, dip in the alum, and rub it on the ulcer. It hurt, and tasted, like hell but it seemed to work... And I'm still alive today 40 years later :001_tt2:
The concern is accumulated Al over time.

4.5 years into this and I just got my first alum block from I B 2 weeks ago. Prior to this I have been a witch hazel guy for years. It never cured the ingrowns/acne. 2 weeks into this alum block experiment my face and neck look better than they have in 15 years. We will see if this is an anomaly or if it is really this good as time goes on.....but it is amazing as of right now.

I'm running out of witch hazel so decided to use alum block that i haven't use in ages. Didn't remember how it makes your face feel, i don't mind the stinging sensations but it tightens the skin way too much for my taste so definetly still a no go for me.

I have a block of alum from RazoRock, but only use it on rare occasions.

I purchased it when I stared DE shaving, but found I did not need it that often.

I use my alum block after every shave. I find it helps with any redness/irritation on my neck

Following shaving I apply the alum, then leave it there while I clean/put away my equipment, then rinse it off. Never more than a minute or two or it gets too drying. Although dry skin is not much of a problem in sweaty Houston

I tried it with no stinging at all, but it made my face red and splotchy. I liked the feel of it, but I don't think my skin liked it.

Seems there are at least two groups ... those whose skin benefits from the use of alum, and those who get irritation from alum.

Your opinion on the use of alum probably depends strongly on which group you belong to :wink2:

It also depends if one uses ammonium alum or potassium alum. It also depends if applied with hot water or cold. It also depends if you leave it on or rinse it.
In my limited experience that is.

I had a roommate who used to use alum blocks for cold sores in his mouth. A loud scream would always follow the alum block being swiped over the cold sore, but he said it always worked to get rid of them.

My mom tortured/did the same thing to me and my brother when I was a kid. I remember it working but haven't done it myself in many years.

As for the alum after shave, I use it and either rinse it off after cleaning up or wipe it off with witch hazel. I have generally sensitive and dry skin and that routine works for me as long as I use some kind of moisturizing aftershave after the alum.

Without the moisturizer, the alum leaves my face feeling tighter than Joan Rivers' latest face lift.

Last edited:
When I started DE wet shaving, I used alum after every shave to give me feedback so I could improve my technique, now I use it only for those rare weepers and nicks that my cold water rinse doesn't stop.

Top Bottom