What's new

Newest Gillette, rotates!

What resurgence? You mean a few thousand guys popping into AOS, C&E et al or ordering online from WCS and many other fine online retailers to the hundreds of millions who over just the last few years have switched from a DE to a Gillette Guard, a PII/FII, Vector/Slalom, Blue3/Vector3 or Personna product, and cheap disposables from Bic and China?
That resurgence?
B&B just had a 10,000 member increase, i would say that is a resurgence. And dont forget the other online social shave sites that have thousands of members too. If you count that from the last 5 plus years....that is considered a big resurgence.

Hundreds of millions who have switched from DE shaving back to cartridges? By "last few years" I'm speaking of the last 5 years, not the last 50. Over the last 5 years, interest in DE shaving has been undergoing a resurgence.

I remember when Toggles went for $50 bucks 5 years ago.....try getting one now for $300 dollars.

How did you twist last few years i.e meaning from October 2010 to the last fifty? You obviously have no idea of the wet shaving market. I think you will find the figure in developed world switching from cartridges to DE blades to be very small, analysis of razor blade manufacturers, traditional shaving soaps and creams, brush manufacturers would highlight this if you cared to research. I work for P&G's major competitor so this data is readily available, but you could just google it...
We are considering a market of used vintage DE razors, not newly made ones. The comparison analysis would not be fair since the newer ones are being made and the vintage are not. But consider that fact that DE vintage shaving is sky rocketing, and the numbers are high if you compare the vintage razors being sold and bought for last 5 years. The recent high B&B membership [10,000] is an indicator to this fact too.

Again what competition? Mystic, Sterling, Mike, ATT, Ikon.....
Even from a Europe stand point - Bathhouse, Scottish Fine Soaps - all the competition is minute/small...

Yes, but if you compare the large sales numbers of used non manufactured vintage razors there seems to be a big competition. In just a few years vintage razors prices have increased and it seems that in the long run the prices will keep going up as supply gets lower due to non vintage production. This may be considered competition to some extent, even with the higher producing new razor makers.

Last edited:
I love this video. It is the opposite of Gillette's BS Marketing. I haven't ordered from them, mainly because I get my gear from WCS, Maggards, RBaM, and the B/S/T when I'm quick and lucky. But the concept for mainstream shavers is sound. Plus, I love the look on the toddler girls head (shaving her dad's melon)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this video. It is the opposite of Gillette's BS Marketing. I haven't ordered from them, mainly because I get my gear from WCS, Maggards, RBaM, and the B/S/T when I'm quick and lucky. But the concept for mainstream shavers is sound. Plus, I love the look on the toddler girls head (shaving her dad's melon)

Dollar Shave Club's razors can be had at Dorco USA's website for a fair bit less than what DSC is pricing them at. A years supply of Executive blades from DCS is 108 but from Dorco they come in at 68.84. So in a sense DCS has its own bologna marketing.

Interestingly I actually found the Executive razor DCS has locally. I can't for the life of me remember where I bought it though. The trimmer on that razor sliced me open and the blades are anything but smooth for me.

Dollar Shave Club is definitely just a guy who figured out a clever marketing campaign to buy low/sell high. The $1 carts are, at best, a break even product. But he succeeded is disrupting P&G's entire market strategy. American consumers (for the most part) had been blindly accepting the (brilliant) marketing of P&G at face value. And the Dollar Shave Club guy isn't hurting for money.

Wow I think I will sell my 3000 blades, all my Double Edge Razor and get stockpiles of this monstrosity.

proxy.php

I got an email from CVS announcing that this new Gillette is available to pre-order. It looks like something an 11 year old boy drew after watching too many cartoons.

I can't think of a single stroke I make while shaving my face that would actually make use of the side ways pivot on the Flexball. However my father (who shaves his head) is actually excited about it, apparently he has hoped someone would make a razor like this for a long time.

All things considered I really think this is an improvement in cartridge razor design, and I'd bet money that Schick is trying to devise a way to do the same thing without infringing Gillette's patent as we speak.

I saw a razor at Walgreens made for head shaving that looked like a Matchbox car with a multi blade cartridge attached. I actually laughed out loud when I stopped to look at it.

Depending on how freely the head can rotate, wouldn't it potentially be able to slice somebody pretty badly?

Because of this, I'm pretty sure the range of rotation won't be very large.

Depending on how freely the head can rotate, wouldn't it potentially be able to slice somebody pretty badly?

Because of this, I'm pretty sure the range of rotation won't be very large.

I was thinking the same, but it's more of a flex than a slide (if that makes sense). The only way you're gonna cut yourself is if you actually move the razor in the same plane as the cutting edge. I think the movement is just to keep full contact with the skin. I don't really see a point for this other than headshaving,.

So when P&G market share shrinks and they need to cuts costs to return to core products. I hope you are well stocked with your Astra's, Polsilvers etc..
The health of cartridge market has large implications on the DE market. Feather and Dorco have moved production to South East Asia obviously in a cost cutting move, the next move can only be closure....

Last edited:
So when P&G market share shrinks and they need to cuts costs to return to core products, I hope you are well stocked with your Astra's Polsilvers etc..
The health of cartridge market has large implications on the DE market. Feather and Dorco have moved production to South East Asia obviously in a cost cutting move, the next move can only be closure....

But of course ...

Top Bottom